1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Case Mod - In Progress "Simpsons" inspired Ultra Microfly Case Mod: YouTube Video

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by mnpctech, 4 Apr 2008.

1. mnpctech

mnpctech bit-tech sponsor

This Case Mod was done by bit-tech's MOTM Sponser, Mnpctech!
    [​IMG]

Customize your PC or window with custom Stickers from Mnpctech HERE

[​IMG]

I'm modding the Ultra Microfly cube with a Simpsons inspired theme. This is just for fun. I'm being joined on this project by my friend, Brad Copeland. Brad was my N+ certification teacher in 2003. Brads a huge fan of "The Simpsons" and never modded a case and thought it would be fun. So now I'm Brad's Teacher :dremel:

3rd Video Segment

2nd Video Segment

1st Video Segment

CNC Fan Grills Video Segment

My plan is to replace the front 80mm intake shown here with 2x 120mm fans
    [​IMG]

Characterized overkill cooling, perfect for "The Simpsons PC"
    [​IMG]

The Microfly comes with a factory 120mm exhaust fan. I'm going to punch out the perforated fan grill to improve airflow with a Greenlee knockout punch.

This method for making fan holes is quick and less messy than using a drill with a hole saw attachment. You get a fast and clean cut. Hand filing down jagged edges or burrs isn't neccessary.

Greenlee Knock out Punches
    Greenlee part # 730EBB-120

Last time I inquired, they were around $450 in the states. In addition to the knock out punch, you need a 3/4" socket wrench (estimate $100), and 2" size socket (estimate $35) I wouldn't use anything less than 19" long socket wrench for good leverage. So estimated purchase price of this professional tool set between $550 - $600
    [​IMG]

Ultra Microfly Factory Perforated Fan Grill
    [​IMG]

First I cut out the center of the factory perforated grill to accomondate the shaft of the Greenlee Knock out Punch
    [​IMG]

The threaded cup portion of the Knock Out Punch goes inside the chassis first, then you thread the shaft into the cup until it's snug against the rear of the chassis. Then you crank the socket wrench as if you were tightening a large bolt until the Knock out Blade cuts through the metal.
    [​IMG]

Perforated Factory Grill removed quick!
    [​IMG]

Last edited: 9 Feb 2012
  2. Supra55

Supra55 What's a Dremel?

Nice start Mnpctech, *Wishes for Pro tool kit and a new case to slash*
    Your work is always kick ass, good luck w/ this.

3. HeXeN

HeXeN Straight from Hell

Bill ... i've got to say that i MUST subscribe to this thread... few years ago i was looking for pictures on google and i came to the whole directory with photos of work done at mnpctech :> mod with stands from 50ccm motorbike pistons dropped my jaw to the floor ... So i've got to keep my eye on this too..
    Off topic - Congrats of project Phenom!

Regards
    HeXeN

4. jhanlon303

jhanlon303 The Keeper of History

I'm watching too Bill! When you do a MicroFly I'll probably have to put mine in a closet from shame.
    John

5. Angel OD

Angel OD Pump Killer

Damn... I dunno if you bought the knock out punch... But if you did, spending 600$ on one tool is enough for me to vote for this! ;)
    I actually broke one of those once, though it was only for a db9 connection... Like the connection for a VGA cable! I made a new one in stainless stell (the original was hardened, but it's only used for aluminum) and last time I was at my old workshop, it was still in use! :)

6. E.E.L. Ambiense

E.E.L. Ambiense Acrylic Heretic

Make that stock Microfly bleed, Bill! :rock:

7. Thacrudd

Thacrudd Where's the any key?!?

As many builds you do, $600 is a sound investment. I'm sure it'll turn out great.

8. Xer0-

Xer0- Waste of space

I'm waiting to see the great things you do with this case.

The knockout punch seems to have made a nasty lip on the back of the case. Is it just a photo angle or do they really distort the metal .

9. E.E.L. Ambiense

E.E.L. Ambiense Acrylic Heretic

No, that's the stock stamp process for the grill.

10. Xer0-

Xer0- Waste of space

ok , I see it now that you pointed it out to me

thanks

11. 500mph

500mph The Right man in the Wrong place

I'm sure there will be dough nuts and nuclear waste galore.

12. mnpctech

Hi, everybody.. Thank you for the good words. I've seen some of you around here, but haven't had opportunity to speak interface to interface :D

Any shared excitement for a new project gets uor creative juices flowing. Sorry about the lack of updates. I'm caught in a whirlwind of stuff to take care of.. To make up for it, I will post a video of our casual review of the microfly, with our initial plan and progress, as soon as my schedule allows to edit it. If you have never followed my projects outside of bit, I'd describe my style as "off the cuff" , I have an idea in my head and rarely sketch anything out first. I'll do something for you the viewer, not for my own needs. What I didn't share in the sketch is how the 2x 120mm fans will be mounted. You can't mount them inside the chassis without compromising the front/back support beams. I must warn you, the aluminum Ultra used is extremely rubbish, ..er, I mean thin. Hacking apart the chassis too much will make it extremely flimsy. My plan is to mill a new bezel (fascia) with the 2x 120mm fans tucked inside of that. As we get near that stage, you'll understand what I'm driving at.

i'll keep you updated!

Brad etching a window pane

[​IMG]

Last edited: 10 Apr 2008
  13. icutebluezone

icutebluezone The meaning of life is to MOD

LOL run homer that dirty man is going to etch you bum. :) Nice work so far was thinking about getting this case about a year ago.

14. x06jsp

x06jsp da ginger monkey!!!!

great work as allways bill ill be watching.

josh

15. mnpctech

I found at TigerDirect here in the states for $29.99 on sale, but it's over... I dunno if I'd have shilled out $60 bucks for one.

Thanks Josh! btw: Good to see you step into the reseller realm :hip:

16. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

Did you intentionally wait for him to look like he was going to stick Homer before you took the shot? :hehe:
    -or did he start at the crack for some unknown reason?:D
    It should be interesting to see what you come up with for the face.

17. jhanlon303

jhanlon303 The Keeper of History

That's a true statement! :D The slide out motherboard tray is a real piece of work too. I got mine at Tiger direct on sale and I wouldn't pay much more for another one. I'm watching you fix this one and getting ideas.
    John

18. mnpctech

lol, I think I did Cheapskate. I'll keep you updated here :dremel:

heh, I had to c-clamp that chassis to the work table to keep it from flipping around like a fish!

I should have the first video segment up here by tommorow afternoon or evening...

19. x06jsp

x06jsp da ginger monkey!!!!

Thanks Bill :thumb:

20. mnpctech

Part 1 video segment of this project :dremel:

My speech is a bit slurry as I review the microfly features.. (Mmmm... Duff Beer.)

Tags: