1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Since I'm a lazy American..

Discussion in 'General' started by Motivator, 18 Jan 2008.

1. Major

Major Guest

Lol quite old.

+ People who get annoyed because someone missed some dot, get over it and get a life please. ;)

2. specofdust

specofdust Banned

Heck, people who bother speaking at all, just get over yourselves and return to grunts like all other cool people!

/sarcasm

Not that I'd expect even on a relatively educated forum like this one that people would understand the importance of attempting to use the best English possible.

3. Firehed

Firehed Why not? I own a domain to match.

That's often referred to the "Harvard comma" and while generally used and recommended in formal writing isn't strictly necessary. It's a style issue, not one relating strictly to grammar. Both "Beers, Wines, and Spirits" and "Beers, Wines and Spirits" are acceptable.

4. cpemma

cpemma Ecky thump

Wikipedia
    I generally use it because I'm a pedant. I also use the semi-colon; it saves having to start a new sentence with a shifted letter. ;)

5. Cthippo

Cthippo Can't mod my way out of a paper bag

Is this whay a Panda eats, shoots, and leaves?

6. specofdust

specofdust Banned

<3 j00

7. cpemma

cpemma Ecky thump

:lol:

8. Major

Major Guest

LMFAO!!

9. fathazza

fathazza Freed on Probation

there is a leaflet i've seen at uni that offers a service of proof reading essays that offers to correct your "spelling and grammer"

from cpemmas wiki quote "It is closer to being standard use in American English than it is in British English."
    British English? I'm pretty sure we call that English ;)

10. 500mph

500mph The Right man in the Wrong place

heh, I didn't even notice that one.
    I'm really just used to chatting with my friends online, during which I don't use proper grammar.

Also, Mary Jo didn't realize that I didn't use the apostrophe. I Think.

I do think that all advertisements should be double checked for proper grammar before being published.

p.s. In my original post I meant to say apostrophe first, not "comma".

p.p.s. I think bit-tech needs a smartness system like the Facepunch forums.

11. MystChic

MystChic Geology Rocks!

It annoys me when they put memos out at work with spelling errors.

12. Bungle

Bungle Rainbow Warrior

Makes me laugh. Everyday we get threads on here and witness ourselves, evidence, that this is NOT a perfect world. Have we decided to make English language, the last battleground for the fight for a perfekt world?:lol:
    Mind you, I've always been tickled by the fact that, most foreign posters can write better sentences, than some home grown "talent".:D

13. cpemma

cpemma Ecky thump

This is the internet, the most widespread communication system ever invented. Anybody can use it to tell the world whatever they want to. Don't we have an obligation to take a bit of care and communicate as clearly as we possibly can? Otherwise it's just scrawling your name on the car-park wall. Dick Head wuz ere.

14. DaveVader

DaveVader Fast Action Response Team

that's so the worst thing to see! It shocks me and amazes me. Maybe the foreign schools are doing something correct in teaching English while we put effort in to teaching Shaekspeare and other illegible literature (I may get slated for that comment but I hate English Lit)

15. Bungle

Bungle Rainbow Warrior

Ideally yes. But I fear, trying to win this battle, is as futile as trying to get people to "google" for answers, before posting for them. But hey lets have a bit of Churchill style bulldog spirit. "We will fight them on the speeches". :thumb:

16. Mary Jo

Mary Jo oh lolz

What on earth are you blabbering about? :eyebrow:

17. Khensu

Khensu likes to touch your special places

Ergh, indeed. Incorrect spelling or grammar annoys me online (although with English not being my first language, I do make mistakes as well), but in a professional environment it's even more bah. A few weeks ago I saw somebody had written the plural of "window" as window's (what the hell?!), and one of my English colleagues has put up several notices/memos filled with painful errors. And then to think a lot of these people think less of me, and have no problem expressing those sentiments, because I'm foreign. Heh.

Another foreigner once told me a story about his then-girlfriend (a native English speaker), who asked him how to spell a fairly simple word. It turned out to be one of the little things causing the end of the relationship. To quote him "What the f..? I'm f..g foreign and I know this!" :wallbash:

18. m@nkey

m@nkey What's a Dremel?

I was amazed when I went on a holiday to Amsterdam (with my girlfriend), to find that the Dutch speak great English! I couldn't fault them. Surprisingly the accent I heard the most (while walking around) was Liverpudlian!

It makes me angry when people can't use proper English, when they are British. There are a lot of people that find it hard to spell, but to not be able to speak it; is terrible. I have a friend that uses a lot of 'yeah yeahs' and 'is it cuz' when he speaks. He writes like he speaks when he writes a text message or puts a post on Facebook.

19. supermonkey

supermonkey Deal with it

Well there's your problem!

-monkey

20. m@nkey

m@nkey What's a Dremel?

In what sense?