1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Single Board Computers (Cards) How to use?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by kanuslupus, 30 Jul 2002.

1. kanuslupus

kanuslupus Minimodder

Anyone familiar with this site?
    Anyone know how you would set up the Rocky series in a system?

Found link from here.

2. Hargle

Hargle What's a Dremel?

Not really sure how you would use one but it amuses me that there is a "POS Series". They look pretty cool though if you could figure out how to use them. Some of them seem to be designed to plug into a standard ISA slot which is rather weird isn't it? :eyebrow:

3. Fronzel

Fronzel What's a Dremel?

I'd imagine they plug into Something like this

Probably for set up in a blade server type of deal. Really not sure.

4. kanuslupus

kanuslupus Minimodder

I would imagine so. Then what does one do with that? I'm kind of looking for a way to get them useable ;)

This link from the same parent site as the SBC's has those as well. I just don't see anything on how to get them working (this site has some .pdf files, but I'm having PDF issues right now). Perhaps they are meant for OEM use.

5. Fronzel

Fronzel What's a Dremel?

That board fits in here

I'm thinking renderfarm in a box, server, that really cooling looking thing with all the blinking lights that sits in the phone closet that the boss won't let me touch, and so on.

6. kanuslupus

kanuslupus Minimodder

:lol:

So, buy the box, a backplane and at least one of the SBC cards and it will be a functional system (assuming RAM and HD are present)? I'm becoming more and more intrigued.

7. Phrozenpenguin

Phrozenpenguin What's a Dremel?

Heh, these things are cool. I have an oldish one, cos it looked cool :p
    My specs - P200mmx, 32mb ram onboard VGA, ISA NIC and Sound, and wotever HD i like!! I can post pics if wanted.
    Basically there is the ISA backplane, and you need to add at least one control card thing (with cpu/ram on) and then you can add extra cards, eg NIC. Power plugs into the ISA backplane. At least thats how mine works, and its pretty small which i like.

8. kanuslupus

kanuslupus Minimodder

Definately post pics! :D Also, how did you set it up software wise? Nothing special needed?

The one I mentioned earlier has Dual LAN, VGA and Audio built in. They also appear to have IDE controller attached (or is it SCSI?). So, I'm wondering what the backplane actually does. Is it just for power? Surely not. Effectively, this appears to need no extra cards to run (assuming you don't want high end audio/video).

EDIT: If I actually read all of the specs (instead of guessing based on the pic :D) I would have read that they are indeed IDE connectors.

Last edited: 31 Jul 2002
  9. Phrozenpenguin

Phrozenpenguin What's a Dremel?

Il post some pics later when i get my cam back :D
    It doesnt need any special software, its just seen as a normal PC. Mine is about half the size of the one in your pic,,,but then has half the features!
    You can get certain SBC's that dont need a backplane, you can get fully integrated ones that fit on a cd drive, or even a floppy drive!!! Advantech is one manufacturer.