1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Single button fan/lights controller with LCD Mod (Finished)

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by SteveyG, 13 Apr 2004.

1. Starbuck3733T

Starbuck3733T Look out sugar, here it comes

Real sweet man, awesome!

2. fillip

fillip New Member

I still wanna build something like this for my next project so i'm gonna pick up a PIC starter kit after chrimbo and start playing with some fans, led's and a rotary encoder and see where i get.

3. JohnFish

JohnFish New Member

any news on the schematics/code? Sorry to post in such an old thread but its really interesting and its too bad it got lost in that way. thx

4. SteveyG

SteveyG Electromodder

With all the work, exams, coursework etc, I've had no time to do anything to do with this project since the last photo I took. I planned to create schematics and update the whole project over christmas, but I had no free time... :sigh:

Sorry if you guys are getting impatient etc, but I don't get time to do anything but the most important stuff these days. :sigh:

There's a couple of modifications I need to make to the watercooling, so hopefully when I get time to do that, I'll be able to get everything else done and update the software. Once that's done I can give the code/schematics out to all you guys too.

5. phoeneous

phoeneous New Member

The white is totally Pimpin!!! I like it alot, good job! :rock:

6. bigal

bigal Fetch n Execute

why thank you SteveyG. Would be Sweet! :D

7. AngelOfRage

AngelOfRage Member

are there any mod guides on how to light up the eject buttons? i can find any here.

do you wire an LED to an external powersource or wire it direct into the CD drive?

8. Cybertronic

Cybertronic New Member

On page 2, why are the front fan led's only lighting up 2? I thought all 4 dim at once? :worried:

9. Langer

Langer Jesse Lang

there is a good one in Bit-tech's "mod guides" section, :search: . Or try; www.zapwizard.com.

Essentially all you have to do is wire and LED/resistor to the +5v line and Ground coming in from your molex.

10. SteveyG

SteveyG Electromodder

As far as I can see, there are no guides for illuminating the cd drive buttons. Langer seems to be referring to the backlit slot loading drives which isn't what you're asking.

It's a pretty simple mod to perform:

Just take off the cd drive bezel and the button should be attached to the bezel with simple compression fittings. Just pull off the button and cut a piece of acrylic to the exact shape of the old button. Attach the button and put an LED behind it ;) In this case, the LED is connected to the controller, so the button dims with all the LED's on the front panel.

There are only 2 LED's lit up on the fans, because there's only 2 LED's on the front two fans. It wasn't worth modding 4 LED's into each of the fans as I knew they'd only be in there for a month or so, before I installed the watercooling.

11. AngelOfRage

AngelOfRage Member

cool, ill give that a shot on an old CD drive before i risk my to DVD drives! thanks

12. bigal

bigal Fetch n Execute

any news on this Stevey? Still prefer the design of this to the 4 output, 4 input USB thing that has appeared lately....

13. SteveyG

SteveyG Electromodder

Exams are over in a week, will do it then...

14. bigal

bigal Fetch n Execute

nice... good luck in them! :D

15. mottl3y

mottl3y New Member

youre a champ steve, have been hanging out for this since the thread started :D

16. pcjabber

pcjabber New Member

Stevey, any chance you'll tell us how much you paid for the parts? Also, any possibility you could post a parts list (at least of the major stuff) so I can see how much Digi-Key, Jameco, and Allied Electronics (AKA RS Components -- the two are both owned by Electrocomponents, Inc.) charges for the various items?

Thanks!

17. antiHero

antiHero ReliXmas time!

nice work on this one. if u decide to build a couple of those controllers i want one for shure. good luck with your exams. keep on modding :dremel:

18. SteveyG

SteveyG Electromodder

The parts list is pretty tiny:
    2 x ULN2003
    2 x PIC16F870
    1 x 100nF Capacitor
    2 x 4MHz Crystals
    4 x 22nF Capacitor
    1 x Rotary Encoder
    1 x 2x16 LCD
    +Resistors for the LEDs
    +LEDs

The new version I'll be working on next week will be a bit different though, and there won't be two separate boards. Should have some better functions too :) So don't go buying the parts just yet. >>>>>LINK <<<<<

I'll be posting in the Electronics forum about the new fan controller and circuits etc. so any questions ask in there.

Thanks. The exam on SMPSUs was a nightmare today :wallbash: 1 exam left :)

19. lucasvo

lucasvo New Member

Which button do you use ?

Cool idea

Which button do you use ?
    I'm looking for a impuls-button, which act like this:
    If I turn it makes imuplses for every 20° and if I push it it makes an impuls on an other channel.

My english is quite poor so it is hard to explain this for me, hope you anderstand it.

20. bigal

bigal Fetch n Execute

a Rotory Encoder is used. This is similar to your description.