1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gaming Skate 2 Hands-on Preview

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Tim S, 7 Oct 2008.

1. Tim S

Tim S OG

http://www.bit-tech.net/gaming/2008/10/07/skate-2-hands-on-preview/1

The sequel to the best skateboarding game of last year is inbound and this time the street-surfing is set in the earthquake-torn city of San Vanelona. With the ability to get off the board and move the props around though, could Skate be straying too far from the proven formula?

:idea:

2. talladega

talladega I'm Squidward

awesome! Looks like I will be getting this game.

3. The boy 4rm oz

The boy 4rm oz Project: Elegant-Li

I liked the original and am keen to try this when it is released. Looks very good. I like the idea of the interactive environment.

4. ChaosDefinesOrder

ChaosDefinesOrder Vapourmodder

being able to get off the board is definitely a good thing, but only, as you mention, if combos do not continue whilst walking.

There's been a number of occasions in the original when I've wanted to be able to hop off and walk - most notably with curbs, where you HAVE to ollie up them!

Skate.2 has definitely been added to my wish list!

5. willowthewhite

willowthewhite Minimodder

The one feature that I really feel was needed in the first was the ability to walk, and now that this is going to be in the second I don't think Tony Hawks will ever be played again by myself. Yes the controls are a little frustrating at first but you do get used to them, even if I do find myself doing the Tony Hawks button bash at times. I'm not to bothered about the ability to move objects around but it will add to the long term playability.
    I would have preferred to have it set in real world skate parks, but you can't have everything that you want, maybe this will be in Skate 3?

On a side note I would love to see a BMX game made with a similar control system.

6. Matticus

Matticus ...

When I see games like this, I am on the verge of running out and buying a 360, but nothing ever seems good enough to make me purchase a whole new gaming system.

Have you ever ridden a skateboard? If you just skated at a curb and didn't ollie you would be in for some trouble.

7. ChaosDefinesOrder

ChaosDefinesOrder Vapourmodder

Yes yes I am aware of this, but I was referring to the fact that, in the game, you have no way of getting up curbs EXCEPT for ollies. IRL you would hop off, step up then hop back on. Which, incidentally, Skate.2 will allow you to do!

8. Matticus

Matticus ...

Fair does and fair point. Funnily enough I am actually playing skate now as I just got a 360 today, and I must say I am in love with it, I have been messing around on the first level for hours now, just because it really feels so much more like skating than any tony hawks ever did.

I can't wait for skate 2, seems I was wrong about no game being good enough to make me buy a console.

Tags: Add Tags