1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SketchUp Sketchup Components Collection (SCC) Discussion

Discussion in 'Modding' started by jezmck, 25 Nov 2003.

1. scooby

scooby Minimodder

Very nice Ron-ski, great details. I can't wait to see your final model.

I assume your rendering in KT, if your make sure (in SU) that all your surface faces are facing front (viewed in white under "Monochrome "view) instead of blue which represents the back. If done correctly you should not see any blue surfaces.

Keep it up bro...

Scooby:naughty:

2. Ron-ski

Ron-ski What's a Dremel?

Thanks very much, I found a lot of the faces on the lettering were the wrong way around, not sure with the other bits though, think it may possibly be a reflection, and yes I'm using KT.

3. joavery

joavery Huh. So it CAN burn...

Maybe I'm the only person who feels this way, and this seemed the appropriate thread for it.

Is it just me or is Sketchup completely counter intuitive? I find creating objects to be absurdly hard. I can't figure out how to edit dimensions after I've created an object (something that is very easy to do in ProE, SolidWorks, AutoCad, etc..) And extrudes / patterning seem to be even more counter intuitive.

Anyone to lend advice?

4. stonedsurd

stonedsurd Is a cackling Yuletide Belgian

^Yep, I'm thinking the same. I began SketchUp in earnest just to model PC parts so that I could plan better, but I've gone on. Granted, many pros here can do magic with SU that I can't do with anything else but there's something about SU that makes me want to tear my hair out :/

5. Valdisnei

Valdisnei Can i haz a dremelz!?

Oops, haven't read the lattest posts here, btw, i'll submit by e-mail. :D

6. Ron-ski

Ron-ski What's a Dremel?

Currently the thing I find most frustrating is positioning items :wallbash: but I get there in the end.

Anyway, finished my model of the Laing D5/Swiftech MCP655 with the EK-D5 X-Top Rev.2 fitted. I used a digital vernier to get it as accurate as possible, so external dimensions are spot on. Waterways are probably not, but close enough.

Barbs are Scooby's from the SCC collection.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

and a mount I made (imported the thread and scaled it)

[​IMG]

Here's the SKP's, I'll rescale the images later and send them to Jez, time to have breakfast and get on with the house.

High detail Laing D5/Swiftech MCP655 with the EK-D5 X-Top Rev.2
    Includes all internals of the block.
    Low detail Laing D5/Swiftech MCP655 with the EK-D5 X-Top Rev.2 I took all the innard's out to reduce file size.
    Eheim/Hydor Rubber Mount

Could one of the Guru's check the models please and see if there's any problems?

Last edited: 26 Jul 2009
  7. Ron-ski

Ron-ski What's a Dremel?

I've found the problem with the E in the EK in the picture above, although the faces were the correct way around the colour properties seemed to be back to front, anyway models are updated and now render correctly. (Not got the time to change the picture above at the moment)

I've also emailed Jez the links and suitable pictures.

8. lenne0815

lenne0815 What has been seen cannot be unseen

i think su is the most intuitive modeller out there, if u want to change dimensions, just grab the plane and move it ? only thing very annoying about it is the number of bugs it creates in more complex models and the sluggish viewport once ur over a certain number of verts ( one can avoid that by modeling in component groups and hiding everything else) another thing is its inabilyty to kreate more complex curved surfaces etc, theres no way around 3dsmax or any more advanced modeler there.

for doing most of the case mod pics i think its spot on ! its very precise, it is extremely fast once u learned the basics and it exports beautiful clean meshes into any other modeller.

9. jezmck

jezmck Minimodder

10. Spotswood

Spotswood Custom PC case builder

How to stitch together and cut Hex Mesh?

I'm trying to use the Hex Mesh model to create a grill on a side panel of a case:

[​IMG]

How do I "stitch together" the model to form a uniform material (no seams), and then how do I "cut/trim" it?

-Rich

11. koksy

koksy What's a Dremel?

12. Ron-ski

Ron-ski What's a Dremel?

Hi jezmck, I did email links to the models and the correct size pictures on 27 July, I used the email address from one of your previous emails to me. Perhaps for some reason it never got through.

Ah, just noticed I did the pictures 320 x 200 for some reason, don't know where I got 320 from :confused:

Anyway here's the picture/render for the pump cropped to the correct size.

[​IMG]

Your picture of the mount looks far better than mine, so I won't bother with the one I did.

Keep up the good work, thanks.

Edit: Just found your email in reply to mine, been on holiday and had over 150 to sort through.

Last edited: 15 Aug 2009
  13. cronicash

cronicash What's a Dremel?

14. Ron-ski

Ron-ski What's a Dremel?

Nice models there, if you follow this link you can submit them to The Sketchup Components Collection, note you ideally need an image for each one and must be no bigger than 300(W) × 200(H)

15. Valdisnei

Valdisnei Can i haz a dremelz!?

Just finished...

Cooler Master HyperTX2

[​IMG]

Jez, is the submission form working already?

if it isn't yet, i'll e-mail it! ;)

16. jezmck

jezmck Minimodder

You'd better email it, I don't remember fixing it!

17. jezmck

jezmck Minimodder

Actually, it looks like it works.
    Any problems with it, let me know.

18. phinix

phinix RIP Waynio...

Lian Li A05 - I'm looking for sketchup image of that case. I didn't find in Warehouse or anywhere.
    Do you guys know if there is any?

19. The_Beast

The_Beast I like wood ಠ_ಠ

You should be able to copy and paste a block then move it to it's exact location. Then to "cut" it just draw a line where the cut is going to be and delete what ever you don't need

Hope this help

20. TheMusician

TheMusician Audio/Tech Enthusiast/Historian

Hey Ronski, what renderer are you using? I've been using Podium, and it's extremely unstable on my 64-bit machine. Any suggestions?