1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Displays Sketchy LCD Backlight

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by Sterkenburg, 9 Jun 2009.

1. Sterkenburg

Sterkenburg To mod or not to mod...

I have a SyncMaster 931BF, which is a pretty nice 19 inch widescreen LCD. The problem is, when the power is first connected and the computer is on, the power LED on the monitor comes on, the backlight comes on as expected, the backlight stays for about a second and then goes off and stays off. The video is perfectly crisp and fine while the backlight is on, and Windows recognizes the monitor no problem. If I open a white window (read: notepad) and move it over onto that monitor, I can juuust see it, so I know the video is still working after the backlight is out.

I had ideal lighting conditions one day, and strained my eyes to go through the LCD's menu, ensuring brightness (100) and contrast (70) weren't on 0. (I figured I might as well check, though I didn't think this would fix anything). I also reset all settings to factory defaults, with no change.

What I later noticed is that if I turn the monitor off, (hit the power button after the backlight has gone out) I can't turn it back on again without unplugging it.

This problem occurs using both DVI and RGB video inputs.

Any and all input would be greatly appreciated!

2. Sterkenburg

I was told that my problem is likely that a capacitor inside the monitor is slowly bleeding power, so after the first second of being on its output is too low the backlight dies. This would sort of explain why I can't turn the monitor back on too... at least in my head.

Is this plausible? Anyone think I can return it to Samsung without proof of purchase? (The manufacturing date is Sept 2006, this monitor CAN'T have passed its 3 year warranty period yet.)

Last edited: 9 Jun 2009
  3. Sterkenburg

I'm slowly turning this into a log of my adventures! It seems that if I disconnect the data cable after the backlight has gone out, the backlight comes back. For a second. Then goes out. Great.

Samsung technical support has been good so far, I got to tier 2 quickly enough, but the tier 2 hold music was about 800 times too loud. They don't seem to have any idea what happened, and are sending me a UPS label that should, within a week, turn into a new Samsung monitor.