1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News SkinnyBytes launches PoE PCs

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 9 Aug 2010.

1. Byron C

Byron C Over-reacting and over-analysing since 1982

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qh2sWSVRrmo

Getting back to the point.

I think this is a really cool idea. Although the price-point seems a little high for educational purposes, given that it's likely that many schools would have to overhaul their network infrastructure to deliver PoE.

However it could be a very good thing for the business market. The company I work for employs around 140,000 people in the UK and the vast majority of them (I'd say over 70-80%) all use a computer. We also use a company-wide IP Telephony system that uses PoE; we therefore already have most of the infrastructure to make use of a system like this. The energy savings alone would be vast (albeit rather offset by the initial investment cost) - instead of two mains outlets used by each machine, it'd use only one PoE port and require vastly less energy. Plus it'd be a good thing for sysadmins running system-wide updates - not everyone leaves their machine on like they're supposed to, and remote wake-up won't work if a PC is powered off.

2. chiphead

chiphead What's a Dremel?

We just installed 30 of these PoE Computers on our clean-room factory floor, and it saved us a nice $25k on the project by nixing the electrical contractor portion. Surprisingly, these little Atom dual-cores can run all of our mfg apps no problem, although fortunately most are pretty thin apps and MS Office is about the most resource intensive thing we run on the floor.

We had a few PoE Computers left over, so we deployed them in our Cafe break area. We re-enabled the Audio in the bios, and they still run fine over PoE. I was curious and plugged one into a Kill-a-watt meter, and did notice it went from about 22W up to 25W when I had the sound cranking, but it is still well under the 36W provided from the PoE injector. It is pretty slick that a modern PC can run on 22W of power... I guess I earn some positive Karma for reducing our carbon footprint :)

Tags: Add Tags