1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Music Skullcandy headphones any good?

Discussion in 'General' started by sotu1, 19 Aug 2008.

1. Charel

Charel What's a Dremel?

I get the impression skullcandy are fashion over function, but whatever is comfortable and sounds good.

couldn't really see myself rocking grado's for the daily commute.

2. padrejones2001

padrejones2001 Puppy Love

They are definitely fashion over function. I'd say they're on par with other headphones in that same price range. Personally, I'd rather spend a bit more and get a much better product.
    I leave my Grado RS2's at home and take my Sony 7509HD's for the commute. They're fantastic for sitting on a noisy bus.

3. sotu1

sotu1 Ex-Modder

EDIT: Just noticed that actually the pair of headphones sent to me were the wrong ones which may explain the problems I've had!

Original Post:
    Hey guys,

so my Skullcandy headphones arrived today (play.com have sent me the wront ones) and I'll be honest, I'm disappointed with them :( number of reasons why.

1. Worst thing is they have a folding mechanism for storage. However, when your have them around the back of your neck your hair can too easily get caught between the folding parts and it hurts like hell. This is the biggest problem with them by far.
    2. volume seems to be limited, don't know if this is a health and safety regulation but it really doesn't go very loud. moderately loud, but not mind blowing.
    3. it can't take bass at high volumes. It just can't.
    4. The colour I got were really feminine. Like really feminine. My neice would love them i think, but well...the pics on the net didn't show them off for being that feminine!
    5. Really high Bass and Treble levels, but nothing inbetween so may sound a bit cold.
    6. Felt like they were loose fitting, and the size adjuster thing was loose too so they slip off sometimes.

Other points: They sit on your ear rather than around the ear.

looks like i may sell these to my neice unless someone else wants them? Gonna start looking into another set of head phones...DAMMIT!

Last edited: 31 Aug 2008
  4. Jasio

Jasio Made in Canada

Stay the heck away from Skullcandy. When I worked at an electronics store we had an average 40-50% defective rate on them. Horrible crap they were, and sounded even worse compared to Sennheiser or Shure IEM's.

5. mansueto

mansueto Too broke to mod

I've had no problems with the ear buds though, and i love the way they sound. I listen to rap, so i like the extra base, and they are fairly loud and clear.

6. Emzay

Emzay "He's doing a poo!"

i really like my skullcandy's :/

7. modgodtanvir

modgodtanvir Prepare - for Mortal Bumbat!

Ace, aren't they :thumb:

TBH, if you are anything of an audiophile, you'll hate them because for about £390 more, you could get some Shure or Grado headphones which would beat these by a mile. If, however, you were happy with your iPod headphones, until they broke, you'll love these.

8. ozstrike

ozstrike yip yip yip yip

For anything around that price range, Koss KSC-75 or Senn PX100 can't be beaten.

9. Jasio

Jasio Made in Canada

Shure's flagship IEM's are about $250 here (£125), and their entry level E4C/E3C's only run about $90 regular ($75 on sale ~ £40). Then again, Shure might be ripping you off in the UK, dunno. I' prefer full headphones so I use the Sennheiser HD 555 series for listening to audio on my PC, or the PC-350's for gaming (Like a 555 but with a mic).

10. Elton

Elton Officially a Whisky Nerd

I have a $14 pair of panasonics, works like a charm.

11. Ramble

Ramble Ginger Nut

Skullcandy are terrible headphones. Poor sound quality and poor design. There are better headphones out there for the same or less money.
    Also for some reason people go on about the bass - it's ****, unless you happen to like boomy distorted bass.

12. talladega

talladega I'm Squidward

I like my Audio Technica's. I got the ATH-PRO5 MS.

I forget how much they cost me but they sound great.

13. ry@n

ry@n Minimodder

I bought some earbud Skullcandys from Play.com for about £12 and they were a huge improvement over the standard apple ones (no surprise there) but the cable wore through on the connector end after 2 months of daily use :( I may buy some more and reinforce them with some heatshrink.

14. pimonserry

pimonserry sounds like a party.

Don't buy the Skullcandy Lowriders, get some chunkier ones.

Alternatively, get some Ultimate Ears, and sod anyone who wants to see your headphones.

15. Silver51

Silver51 I cast flare!

- 31st Aug 2008 -

Looks like some thread necromancy going on here. :nono:

IMO skullcandy are asshattery in audio form. If you have the money, spend it on something else; Sennheiser, Shure, Grado, Panasonic, et al. /thread

16. talladega

talladega I'm Squidward

LOL I didnt even notice.

17. keir

keir S p i t F i r e

Well I've got some of the smoking buds, and there really good, no issues at all.

18. jhanlon303

jhanlon303 The Keeper of History

I'm still using my 50mm black cans. No problems in over a year. Still go loud and more than acceptable bass. I tried the 40mm and they sounded tinny.

19. Silver51

Silver51 I cast flare!

Nah, I was just pissed because Mosfet67 looks like an advertising shill or rabid fanboy. I call shenanigans on their entire post.

Edit: Yeah, exact same post on cnet and ilounge.

Last edited: 7 Sep 2009
  20. mansueto

mansueto Too broke to mod

The people who complain about the skull candies are usually the audiophiles, or people who have the money for quality head phones, for the rest of us, they are reasonably priced, and perform better than the crap headphones that usually come standard with a product, so bugger off and stop your whining. Go brag about your expensive headphones to other audiophiles, not us regular joe's.

Tags: