1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Networks Sky BB vs O2 BB vs Virgin Cable

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by GreatOldOne, 6 Sep 2010.

1. GreatOldOne

GreatOldOne Wannabe Martian

Hi chaps,

I currently have O2BB, an upto 8Mb service that costs me 12.50 a month (now that I don't have an O2 mobile number). I connect & sync at approx 5Mb on the line I'm on, using my DG834GT

I've just found out that Sky have finally put there equipment in my exchange. I already have Sky TV, so it would work out marginally cheaper to switch to Sky. It would also have the added benifit of allowing Anytime Plus (VOD) on my Sky box.

The thing is, how good a service do Sky provide? I'm assuming that I'd get similar speeds, as the exchange isn't going to get any further away if I swap providers.

Anyone else with Sky that could provide me with some real-life experience of them? You know, reliability of connection, how good (or bad) the Customer Service / Tech support is etc.

Ta

GOO

Last edited: 11 Sep 2010
  2. adam_bagpuss

adam_bagpuss Have you tried turning it off/on ?

if its only margin price difference id stay with O2 as sky are generally rubbish as their service can vary a lot.

got a friend who gets between 1 and 15 Mb/s depending on the time of day so its hardly realiable

GreatOldOne likes this.
  3. Hiren

Hiren mind control Moderator

Speaking from my own experince Sky BB customer service is quite frankly shocking. Took us 7 weeks to get our BB installed and another 4 weeks after it stopped working to get it fixed. Got promised 5 call backs and didn't recieve a single one, also spent around 10hrs on hold.

When the service works it's fine with no issues however when it breaks be prepeared for lots of frustration.

GreatOldOne likes this.
  4. GreatOldOne

Okay - looks like I'll be stopping with O2...

The only reason to switch was the lure of VOD on the Sky HD box, as (currently) you only get it if you're on Sky BB.

5. bestseany

bestseany What's a Dremel?

I was with Sky Max broadband for a couple of years, but I moved to O2 in January this year as Sky have recently increased their prices, so my top package was going from £10 to £15.

I never had any issues with my Sky broadband, it was actually very reliable and was truly unlimited with no FUP. However, their 1st tier support is in India and is terrible!

O2 has all UK call centres and my line speed actually went up very slightly (half a meg or so) when I switched.

I'd stay with O2 if I was you.

6. spaceman1

spaceman1 What's a Dremel?

I am on sky and since i been on sky i have not been able to play online soooo slowwwwww wish i stayed with virgin.

7. Madness_3d

Madness_3d Bit-Tech/Asus OC Winner

I'm on Sky and although it was a pain to set up (admittedly it is on a ship) its been very good since I got it. Maxes out my line (~8120kbps) and get a nice <40ms ping into London. Generally very reliable for me, although I've added my own Wireless N Router

8. kenco_uk

kenco_uk I unsuccessfully then tried again

Been alright for me so far. Setup was painless, syncs at 16mb/1mb and there was no wavering of service when I downloaded the whole THQ pack through Steam.

9. wejjy

wejjy Minimodder

Been with SKY for a while now no problems, and I get a good speed even at peak times. Customer service is ok, not the best but never had major problems...

10. russ555

russ555 What's a Dremel?

I have had sky max BB for 2 or 3 years now and I have never had a single problem. When I was on BT my connection was unreliable and had a higher ping but sky has been alot better.

11. RichCreedy

RichCreedy Hey What Who

sky broadband also don't allow you to change your router, apparently it is in the terms and conditions, so if you want to put your own router in your stuffed, as the network username and password are hard coded into the firmware.

this seems to apply to new customers, who get the sky router that looks like a mini skyhd box. 2 types are available, one is a netgear, the other i think is a thomson but dont quote me on that

12. kenco_uk

kenco_uk I unsuccessfully then tried again

I think you'll either end up with a Netgear DG934G or a Sagem. Probably the Sagem nowadays. They both look the same externally.

13. adam_bagpuss

and when you change router thier terms and conditions state if they find out they can terminate your broadband line but you will have to continue paying the bill until your contract is up.

The way around this is to use the sky router as the modem only and use a 2nd router as your main network.

This is allowed (ive checked and setup for client) but you wont recieve tech support at all as they will simply ask you to remove your router before helping you.

14. GreatOldOne

Sod that, the only reason I'm getting the speeds I am is down to my Netgear. Well, that and the decent patch lead and the top notch microfilter equipped NTE5.

The POS O2 Router could only manage 2.5-3Mb on the same line! :/

15. Fingers66

Fingers66 Kiwi in London

16. GreatOldOne

I can, but was lead to believe that O2 = BE

17. bestseany

bestseany What's a Dremel?

Be and O2 are on the same network.

I notice that O2 and Sky have changed their pricing structure recently. O2 have become more expensive.

18. adam_bagpuss

O2 might be more expensive but its a damm better service than skys

19. Fingers66

Fingers66 Kiwi in London

O2 does not equal BE.

They may share infrastructure but the service is about a million percent better on BE.

20. GreatOldOne

Ok - so what do you get with BE?

I'd only wantt an upto 8Meg connection, as my line won't support speeds higher then what I'm getting now (all predicted speed testers on ISP sites tell me I shouldn't get more than 3Meg, so I count myself lucky... :))

I've looked on the BE site, and its not apparent what's included i.e:

Email - provided? How many addresses?
    Webspace? How much?
    What's the Contention?
    Etc
    Etc.

As I said in the OP, the only reason I was considering the move was to get VOD on my Sky HD box. If it's not blindingly better than what I'm getting at the moment, if not inclined to move due to the hassle factor.