1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sky Digital Dish - how hard to put up

Discussion in 'General' started by lord nicon21, 2 Oct 2005.

1. lord nicon21

lord nicon21 sexy *******

I'm thinking about getting a Sky dish and putting it up my self has anyone done this befor or know how hard it is?

All i want is the free channels :D

2. adam197

adam197 New Member

You probably know this already but just incase, get a satellite finder, otherwise you will be outside for approximatly 137 hours trying to find 28.2E of south.

Alternativly - www.freesatfromsky.co.uk

3. P2D

P2D 99.999% Pure Spam!

lol, You shouldnt have told him that, `id have roffled too hard if he came back saying "it just took me 137 hours" ect...

Cant see it being that hard, just screw it onto a wall on your house that faces 28.2e of south.

4. lord nicon21

next door has one so i could get it in the right place ish. but might get a satfinder if i can find a cheap one thanks :thumb:

5. ChriX

ChriX ^

Lidl (dodgy I know) were doing a sat finder for about £4 a few weeks back, might be worth a look to see if they still are.

6. lord nicon21

cool i'll take a look :thumb:

7. robbins1940

robbins1940 Banned

Get an independant installer in to do it. Shouldn't cost you more than £50

8. Dad

Dad You talkin to me?

Are you kidding me? I put up a DBS dish a few weeks ago for my dad (Direct TV) and it took me all of 1 hour. That's including the time it took me to run the sat feed wire into the house and to the receiver. Does the dish have degree markings? If so, use that to set the elevation (make sure the mounting pole is dead plum to the ground). Get a compass that has degree markings on it to set the azmuth. How about the receiver, does that have a signal meter? If so, use that to "fine tune" the dish. It's very easy.

9. :: Phat ::

:: Phat :: Oooh shakalaka!

Good old analogue sky used to entail having a mate round to hang dangerously off the side of the house as you shouted "LEFT A BIT MATE!"

The problem with Sky Digital is the fact that A: You have to get the dish PERFECT. B: You can't just run the Sky box and wiggle the dish till you get a better picture, you'd have to try a position... try the box, wait till it tries to pick up a signal etc etc etc...

10. orb

orb satisfying.

Well my dad did one and were in france.. It's not that hard, just get a sat signal finder if thats what its called, it beeps when it finds a signal and gets stronger the closer you get to it. Took around 30mins max..

11. yodasarmpit

yodasarmpit No longer the other Brett.

Was just going to say that, with analogue it was quite easy, but digital it has to be spot on.
    It will take time without a sat digimeter.

12. MrWillyWonka

MrWillyWonka Chocolate computers galore!

It only cost my parents £18 to install a dish and wire it to two recievers in the house, better than doing it yourself and spending hours on it! Although you could do the maths and measure the angles your neighbours dish is at etc. However, depending on how far away your neighbour is, I guess you would have to turn the dish slightly one way in order for the signal to be pointing at the transmitter because it has to be pointing to the same point as the neighbours dish, rather than the same direction, if you get my meaning.

13. cpemma

cpemma Ecky thump

This Sticky may help, at least you'll find out where you are.
    You're right in theory, but if the neighbour is in the same town, two parallel lines very nearly meet at 23,000 miles away. ;)

14. lord nicon21

do you think i could buy a sky plus box and use it with the fee view chanels or do you need to pay for the service?

15. yodasarmpit

Yes you could buy a Sky+ box and get freeview, but to ensure you get all the free channels you would need to get a freesat card (costs about £21 from Sky).
    Also if using a Sky+ box, you won't get the recording facility unless you pay a subscription.

16. lord nicon21

you need to pay for the recording facility yell that sucks. ok i'll have a look for a sky dish/box/card on ebay oh and tester should be about £50 max

17. yodasarmpit

Yep, it's £10 per month, or free if you subscribe to a premium channel.

18. lord nicon21

10 :eyebrow: i won't be doing that then