1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Networks Sky router won't let me join my own server

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by Acanuck, 9 Oct 2011.

1. Acanuck

Acanuck What's a Dremel?

Hi all,

Before you go thinking this is a port forwarding problem, it isn't. For years, I've been hosting all sorts of servers on different routers and this problem has never arisen.

Router: Sagemcom F@ST2304
    Firmware: 5.14.6.1a4N
    ISP: Sky

The Setup:
    The server is hosted on one computer (with 192.168.0.3 as its internal IP) & I play games on another computer (with 192.168.0.4 as its internal IP). Both are wired straight to the router (although this problem occurs irrespective of interface used). It's not uncommon for people to have this type of setup, so I hope someone will have an idea of what I'm on about.

The Problem:
    My problem is that I'd like to play with other players on my own server. For instance, I host a server for RACE: The WTCC game; this server is joinable & perfectly functional, but the only person who can't join it is me, on my own home network. Similarly, my Team Fortress 2 server is joinable but doesn't appear on my Internet games list, but in the LAN games list. Luckily, I can join my Team Fortress 2 server, but this is another indication that the router is doing something I don't want it to, but I just don't know how to fix this. I have even tried forwarding the recommended LAN gaming ports to the server's IP (something that I've never needed to do), to no avail.

The problem here is the router, as no other parameters have changed in my setup. I have used a Linksys WAG160N & Thomson Speedtouch 585V7 to do the same thing, with no such issues. Is it a PAT (Parallel Address Translation), rather than a NAT issue? Or should I just give up on this router? Should I be setting up a proxy to fool the router into thinking I'm from outside the internal network?

Any advice would be much appreciated.

2. julianmartin

julianmartin resident cyborg.

Do you type the external IP address of the router or the internal IP address of the server when you try and join the various games?

Does sound a little bit like a PAT issue....

3. tehBoris

tehBoris What's a Dremel?

Some routers are stupid and don't apply forwarding rules to requests to the WAN IP that came from the LAN. if you can connect by entering the local IP, you have a fail router.

4. Acanuck

Acanuck What's a Dremel?

To Julianmartin: From my gaming machine, I can only join by typing the internal IP address of the server.

To tehboris: There seems to be an option that caters for this in the router's web-utility (http://db.tt/81DkDYBg), but I've tried putting the internal IP address of the gaming computer into that field and all it does is make the server no longer joinable to the outside world (it doesn't allow me to join either). Should I be trying the router IP instead?

I'm truly puzzled by this; I read somewhere that Sky don't take too kindly to their users swapping out their default routers, so ditching the router might be a tricky solution too.

5. julianmartin

julianmartin resident cyborg.

Try turning the log on for that firewall rule stuff and see what it chucks out? Sounds like a fail router though...

6. Dopeyman

Dopeyman Minimodder

I am with sky and had to change router cause it broke and they wanted to charge me. I bought a new netgear which wanted sky's password. Just google it and it's easy to find out. Can't remember of top of my head but is on the sky router somewhere. Don't bother asking them because it was a long and painful process.

7. RichCreedy

RichCreedy Hey What Who

and against skys t&cs with it specifically written in that they can stop your service if found out

8. Dopeyman

Dopeyman Minimodder

Well yes and no. They gave it too me in the end but involved them ringing me about 3 times over 3 days. All I said was their router did not have enough connections for my needs. Guess you need their permission then.

9. Acanuck

Acanuck What's a Dremel?

I tried turning the logging on and it is quite hard to comprehend, with many strings of seemingly gibberish numbers and MAC addresses.

I have looked into 2 options and I have attached some potentially useful links for others:

1. Enable PAT on this router
    (http://www.skyuser.co.uk/forum/tech...-how-enable-port-address-translation-pat.html), although I am not entirely sure of the relevance of this fix

2. Switch to a router which doesn't have this issue
    (http://www.skyuser.co.uk/forum/extr...ing-your-v1-v2-router-passwords-safe-way.html)

The third & most obvious option (switch to a proper ISP & use a non-fail router) is not possible for me, as I have recently moved into a houseshare, hence the search for workarounds. Does anyone know if the use of a proxy might resolve the issue?

:sigh:

Note: In the 2nd link, this applies to a F@ST2504 router & not a F@ST2304, so I'm uncertain if this still works with the newer routers. Is this how you obtained your username/password Dopeyman?

Last edited: 11 Oct 2011
  10. Dopeyman

Dopeyman Minimodder

I've got to be honest I can't remember exactly. There was a site you enter your router details and it tells you the code. I got it from there then sky did tell me it a few days later after a lot of convincing. I basically said their router did not meet my requirements. I can't check with router I have because I'm in the Dominican republic for the next week on holiday. Sorry and hope this helps.