1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Steam Skyrim?

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Karas, 15 Sep 2011.

1. Skidd

Skidd What's a Dremel?

Sigh... I'm about to throw away the DVD and forget about this game. Pity I wasted money on it.

PS: Bethesda technical support is non existent....

2. mars-bar-man

mars-bar-man Side bewb.

Before you get your knickers in too much of a twist, have you tried checking the install? Something might be corrupt in the files, getting Steam to check may fix that. Failing that, delete the games files and re-install?

3. Skidd

Skidd What's a Dremel?

I have
    Uninstalled and reinstalled the game
    Done steam integrity check
    Tried running the game with and without updates
    Updated all my drivers
    Updated DirectX
    Uninstalled all additional video codecs
    Shutdown all additional programs running in the background

4. Tibby

Tibby Back Once Again

I do know that there is a way to get a steamless copy of the game through non-discussable means. I'm not sure on legality if you own the game, but could be a solution?

5. thehippoz

thehippoz What's a Dremel?

that was pretty easy.. first level up alchemy- you should have bought a lot of ingredients from the trader.. sell the pots you make back and your speech will come up (it even levels if the trader has no money and you sell at a loss)- this also levels your bank account :thumb:

then when it's high enough.. you steal something like a leek in front of someone in any of the major cities- make sure you get the blessing of dibella and necklace of dibella

then persuade all the guards to let you go.. do this in every town and hop around.. after a few trips you should max out

or do all the thieves guild quests and you'll get this

http://elderscrolls.wikia.com/wiki/Amulet_of_Articulation

6. Tangster

Tangster Butt-kicking for goodness!

Tried any of the community patches. I found the 4GB/LAA patch work well for me when Skyrim suddenly went into petulant toddler mode with patch 1.2

7. Skidd

Skidd What's a Dremel?

I have since my last posting here :-(

8. law99

law99 Custom User Title

There is official laa coming soon. I've had no problems worse than any other pc game I've played.

Shame you can't play Skidd...

9. Skidd

Skidd What's a Dremel?

Now these are the steps I have taken since it started crashing to get this game working:
    1.) Fresh install from DVD after uninstall and shift+delete Steamapps\Common\Skyrim and the My Documents\My Games\Skyrim directories with no change with both pre-patch and after patch.
    2.) Fresh install from Steam download after uninstall and shift+delete Steamapps\Common\Skyrim directory and the My Documents\My Games\Skyrim directory did not exist with no change with both pre-patch and after patch.
    3.) Uninstall and Shift+delete Steamapps\Common\Skyrim directory and the My Documents\My Games\Skyrim directory did not exist again. I am guessing the game has to actually successfully launch to create this.
    4.) Updated motherboard, sound and graphics drivers with WHQL drivers from the hardware manufacture
    5.) Updated DirectX from Microsoft website
    6.) Updated Windows using Windows update
    7.) Updated Microsoft Security Essentials (this is the only anti virus I run) and did full system scan
    8.) Ran CCleaner to remove all registry entries to Skyrim
    9.) Removed all Skyrim related entries in Windows Firewall
    10.) Reinstalled Skyrim with Steam download and allowed it to patch to latest version
    11.) Disabled all running services but Microsoft services and Applications

Outside of this trying the LAA/4GB community fix thing and another fix to skip the starting videos.

All thats left to do is format my PC but I wont just for this game, I would rather just forget about it and move onto better things...

10. thehippoz

copy binkw32.dll to c:\windows\system and see if it runs.. just found that fix

11. Skidd

Skidd What's a Dremel?

Just tried that same issue.

12. thehippoz

you can try installing rad tools http://www.radgametools.com/bnkdown.htm

that should give you the dll.. I dunno what else it could be- maybe video drivers or a hardware error (most likely gpu in this case)

hard to say without playing around with it.. stability testing, etc..

13. [PUNK] crompers

[PUNK] crompers Dremedial

try the 4gb launcher?

14. MrDomRocks

MrDomRocks Modder

Get a random crash every so often, kinda bugs me that the quests are a pain to find the location of the person/item even when in the area of it. Combat isn't great needs to be tweaked for sure

15. fdbh96

fdbh96 What's a Dremel?

Ive got a really annoying bug where i cant finish the blood on the ice quest as i can't kill the murderer, as he's invincible :(. So now i have a house with a invincible murderer in it.

16. feathers

feathers Minimodder

SKYRIM = overhyped console bollocks.

The Witcher 2 = way better. Get real people.

17. Fishlock

Fishlock .o0o.

Even though I'm much more into my PC gaming, I got Skyrim on 360, and am really enjoying it. I've played the others thoroughly on PC and felt like a change. I'm at level 25 right now, and have only experienced maybe 2-3 bug/glitches.

18. Jedra

Jedra Supermodel

The Witcher 2 has QTEs and scripted Boss fights - how much more console do you want to get ;-)

19. law99

law99 Custom User Title

Jesus Christ, he's right. The Witcher is a way more console-y type experience. You certainly can't do nearly as much in it despite it clearly being a better story driven game.

Funnily enough, these games remind me of the endless running about I used to do in fallout and other such games.

I'd like it if fast travelling chucked up some random encounters now and then though... not on the level of, you walked within twenty yards of a bear! <Waste my god damn time will you?! More like, when fast travelling occurs, it should assume you walked the shortest road/path and if you would have uncovered a cave or town on this travel that would be nice. That's not even random. It just makes sense? I'm not expecting my character to have zig zagged up and down for half a mile discovering outback settlements and other such wilderness, just a bit of common sense.

Finding locations is difficult? Are you selecting the quest in the journal and following the arrows? I personally think it couldn't be easier.

Combat isn't fantastic, but it's freedom and I feel it's awkward inaccuracy adds to the charm. Admittedly that's a very opinion based response and does little to help.

Still can't really say this game crashes any more for me than Deus Ex, Fifa 12 or the WItcher 2 for me. So that's a list of recent titles.

20. MrDomRocks

MrDomRocks Modder

Ok simply put Im not getting that arrow on misc quests unless you aren't supposed too. I.e can't find one guy to tell him about a fake letter.