1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Steam Skyrim?

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Karas, 15 Sep 2011.

1. Whirly

Whirly New Member

I've just finished the main quest line and sadly I'm a bit disappointed at how easy it was. Once I had maxed out smithing & enchanting my character became all but invincible even though I upped the difficulty to master.

Skyrim is such a great game that I had always intended to be a bit "completionist" with it but at this point I feel like I would be better off starting a new character and concentrating on different areas.

I have to say that I love crafting but the system is game breaking. I didn't work hard at maximising enchantments through potions (around 70 alchemy with no perks in it) but my character has an armour rating of over 550 (using light armour), a bow that hits for 900+ damage sneak attack and can backstab with 30x damage. But the real game breaking effect is being able to bring destruction spells cost down to zero. I'm pretty sure the final battle (avoiding a spoiler) is supposed to be an epic fight but 2 minutes (less?) of dual casting and a single health potion got me through it with very little effort.

Overall, I have to say that Skyrim is the most complete game I have ever played but it does suffer from serious balancing issues at higher levels.

On a final note I used SkyUI, Quality World Map & Dovahkiin Hideout (for convenience) for the final few hours of play. Does anyone have any recommendations for mods that really improve things (and are compatible with the latest version)?

2. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

Dovahkiin Hideout is such a brilliant mod, i pretty much only use it like quick travel.

i'd recommend invincible unique horse, you don't want Shadowmere to die would you?

please enlighten me on how to do destruction spells for free?

3. Whirly

Whirly New Member

Enchant 4 items with Fortify Destruction (25%) - Helm, armour, amulet & ring. 25% reduction in spell cost x 4 = 100% reduction. Even if you don't have the mana to cast the spell you can just spam it.

4. Zoon

Zoon Hunting Wabbits since the 80s

Go to the temple of Mara in Riften.

Complete the quest chain.

25% damage reduction from magic on Agent of Mara. Woohoo!

5. thehippoz

thehippoz New Member

yeah endgame if breton.. could have over 100% magic resist without a shield =] you were pretty much unstoppable

6. down18

down18 New Member

Just got all 1000 gamerpoints this weekend, bit of an odd feeling - I've looked forward to that game for literally years and now it's over. I took a massive break from it because of how many of my quests bugged which maybe took out a bit of the immersion at the end but I still thought it was fantastic.

Considering starting again when I order my new PC though, any essential mods yet or will it take a while? And that HD texture pack they released, is it better than the ones the modders made?

7. Whirly

Whirly New Member

My char was a Breton (chosen for looks rather than any stat boosts) but I didn't bother with magic resist and I haven't yet completed the Mara quest (got bored of it).

But to clarify the destruction magic thing:

100% fortify destruction = zero spell cost for destruction magic
    Perks in dual casting and impact.
    It is now possible to dual cast thunderbolt (for single enemies) or chain lightning (for groups) quickly enough that the victim is unable to recover from the stagger effect of "impact" before you cast again. Time it right and you can even hold off large groups of high level enemies using chain lightning (CL) and casting at the nearest one. So if 3 deathlords are coming at you, hit the first one with CL (staggered), then the second (1st still staggered), then the third and repeat. Each time CL hits multiple targets - often mopping up lower level enemies while you are busy concentrating on the "bosses".

As for the final battle, (avoiding spoilers) I just used the shout (DR) learned in the main questline to "stun" the final boss and blasted away with thunderbolt. Rinse and repeat.

Funny thing is that I probably could have done it (albeit with more difficulty) with either my bow or using backstab (x30 damage) in conjunction with shadow warrior as I had earlier made what I named a "dragon fighting" ring and amulet (putting both on gave me immunity to fire & frost).

I'm now level 50 with 3 spare perks (can't decide what to spend them on and tired of wasting perks on things I never use). I hope someone comes up with an epic mod soon!

8. Almightyrastus

Almightyrastus Rule #9

I didn't use any magic other than a couple of shouts for the final fight, Dragonrend to bring him down and then marked for death followed by dual wielding legendary deadric war axes. Didn't last long at all.

I can take down regular dragons with that set up in a single dual wielding combo attack although ancients take a little more to drop.

Can't remember what level I was when I did it but one handed was at 100 with a hand full of perks thrown in there as well. Armour was ebony with a good sprinkling of resists and damage upgrades thrown in.

9. Bauul

Bauul Sir Bongaminge

Bethesda has said that they designed the end-game around a typically level 27 (IIRC) character. I hit level 37 before I decided to finish the game and was like you, my Deadric bow just one-shotted pretty much everything.

Basically they should have put limits on the exponential enchanting*alchemy effect.

10. Zoon

Zoon Hunting Wabbits since the 80s

Oh yeah. Find Lord Stone. Activate it. Another 15% damage reduction.

I went Dark Elf, so I've got a total of 90% reduction from Fire now.

11. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

27! Yikes, no wonder my 57 char found it pretty easy.

12. Tangster

Tangster Butt-kicking for goodness!

I was level 67 before I went up to see the greybeards. Every single quest seemed rather trivial, to the point that I haven't gotten past the blades questline before becoming bored and giving up on Skyrim.

13. Whirly

Whirly New Member

The questline itself is relatively well written and is worth the effort for the storyline. Of course, there is always the option to install the deadly dragons mod and set your own personal restrictions to make it harder (no use of potions; only using leather armour, etc.)

14. Aterius Gmork

Aterius Gmork smell the ashes

So I guess you are playing on Master difficulty as well?

It's ridiculously easy. However I don't want to install deadly dragons because while dragons are easy to kill they never seem to attack me, but always some random NPCs if any are around.

However I am considering installing a combo of these two mods:

Insane Difficulty - reduces health and stamina regeneration in combat, health per level and armor damage reduction

Intense Difficulty - Generally multiplies the ammount of damage you take. Up to 32x!

What I would really love is a mod that makes dragons more aggressive against the player and followers, causing them to attack the player only as soon as he lands the first hit. It's really annoying to have an ancient dragon circling above out of my reach ignoring me when I have already landed 20 hits with the thunderbolt spell and just killing of half of Dawnstar.

15. awok3N

awok3N Who dares wins.

Ok so I reinstalled this game after I saw the latest update notes and the hi rez textures pack.

I've put in a couple mods:

CBBE
    Coverall (better faces)
    SkyUI
    that popular map mod that shows roads etc
    High Rez textures pack (the one bethesda made ofc)

I've got 2 major glitches, one is that the game wont launch if i try to apply any of the ENB configs to increase visuals, and the other is that I get this immense green flickering whenever there's a water source around, some times I even randomly take a swimming stroke in mid air when I'm not even close to the water. The flickering comes and goes quite often, more so the closer I am to a river or whatnot. When the said flickering occurs it rarley occurs for more than 2-3 seconds at a time, but its quite often and also applies to whatever sound there is at that moment.

Any ideas?

16. LithiumDesign

LithiumDesign 3dsMax User

what's going on with my skyrim?! :(
    Haven't played since november-ish, started it back up again last night after installing the HD texture pack to see this;
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

All on Ultra settings... Only thing that ahs changed is that I've updated my graphics card drivers? I've fiddled with all the catalyst control centre settings and the skyrim graphics settings with no luck!
    No one seems to have the problem I do?
    HELP PLEASE!!?!?

17. Coltch

Coltch Member

Mystiik - I got the same issue after updating to catalyst 12.2, turning off AA and enabling FXAA sorted the problem out.

18. Bauul

Bauul Sir Bongaminge

Cool, 8-bit Skyrim!

19. Showerhead

Showerhead New Member

And the bright logs are a bug with the hd pack. There's a fix on the nexus.

20. LithiumDesign

LithiumDesign 3dsMax User

Perfect, thanks guys!! I fixed the logs too! Thanks again!

Mystiik