1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scratch Build – In Progress - Skyscraper - 24 - March - UPDATE - Single Stage Cascade!!!

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by imersa, 19 Dec 2009.

1. imersa

imersa Parvum Princess

Hello Bit-tech members!
    To start I would like to say hi to everyone here..
    My names Justin, 21 years of age and from the UK.

I have followed this forum for half a year or more now and have been amazed at what I’ve seen. It has kept me busy reading project logs for hours... lots of my working days are well spent reading things here.. (I hope they don't run an internet report on me... that's a lot of bandwidth from large images!) :eek:

But to the point! :eyebrow:
    I have always built my machines, recently had a few water cooled desktops, single loop, double loop but they have always been really messy. If it was in some form of metal frame and didn’t fall apart, and turned on just fine then I was happy.

I have since then been spending far too much time releasing how crap my machine actually looks, even if filled with nice hardware.

I will say this, I lack any decent tools or a place to work, its all bedroom floor or parents front room’/kitchen, to their delight.
    This build will be completed with a Dremel 300, a really poor drill/jigsaw combo and basic hand tools.

The main reason I am posting this is too gain help, work out what the hell I am going to do about some of the dilemmas I will find and any improvements I can squeeze out of you!

The Project is called -
    [​IMG]

I choose this name as the tower is simply pretty tall and thinner than most large cases... ish.
    It's also a really cool song that happened to be on at the time. (By Julian Plenti)! worth checking out!
    _____________________________________________​

I started buying the parts about 3 months ago every pay day pushed as much cash into it as I could. I've been working on it as I went along so I’m a nice way into the build.
    This should catch you all up!

Big sorry for no design. I can’t used any of the software packages :sigh: I could sketch something up by hand but I have been more winging it and changing things as they go. I know this isn't the best way but is working out.. ish.

To start here is some of the hardware:

[​IMG]

Some of the items photographed:
    • Lian Li PC-X2000
    • EVGA X58 3X SLI CLASSIFIED
    • Akasa PowerXtreme 1200W
    • Monsta Extreme Radiator 420/360
    • XSPC 360 Radiator x 2
    • Xigmatek 140mm Black Fan x 4
    • EK-Supreme CPU Block
    • EK EK100RES2 RES 100 Rev2
    • Koolance Complete Cooler Kit for EVGA X58 SLI Classified

Went all out with the case and went for a PC-X2000... I had first seen this case in Trubitar's YouTube channel and decided I would give it ago.
    The idea of cutting anything into it, or even changing it was a daunting task due to its HIGH price tag!

[​IMG]

I managed to find one in stock from I think Ebuyer it was around £330.
    I have added some photos taken from Lian LI's website as I didn't think to take one before I started pulling it apart...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The thing was so well made for some reason I drilled out rivets and removed the sooo beautifully anodized front & side panels :waah:

[​IMG]

Really love the front panel! For the build I have in mind I just can’t keep it due to an extension at the top of the case.
    I NEED to use it; it looked so nice, so I've made a plan for that later!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

So back to removing more of this really well made case:

[​IMG]

There are two of these in the bottom section of the case. They are really neat for resolving the sata drive messy wire problem and give you a plug & play ish aspect to the case.
    I’m not sure how good they will be with vibration they seem pretty plasticy.
    For now I am keeping one. The other has to be removed to allow space for the 'Monsta'

[​IMG]

As you can see, no rubber on the plastic tracks. 4 Simple screws fit in the side of the drive and slide into the plastic, acoustics may suck, but only time will tell!

For anyone who may want to see how this Lian Li drive bay works, here's a couple of images:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

First real project was getting the Monsta too fit. What a task that was!
    It really is a monster! I loved this radiator, If you have been looking at it, thinking do I really need it? The answer is yes. Its f**king sooo big.. everyone needs it!
    I recall people at my workplace thinking it was for a car.. that alone means its a must have!
    Even the packaging is really sweet!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

You also a free bottle of feser base corrosion blocker AND two shiny fesser fittings!

[​IMG]

But the best extra is the little hand numbered SN number thingy!

[​IMG]

But anyway, enough fesser loving... it is that good thoughh!

_____________________________________________​

I had to remove both dividing pannels by popping out the rivets.
    I'm new to this and didn't take an image at the time but I have marked them here for you:

[​IMG]

With these panels removed I had to take a small part out with a jigsaw on each.

I then did something stupid.. that worked out just fine... I like it when things work how you want them too.

I was aware the case had 3 x 140mm fans at the front, with what looked like correct spacing for the Monsta... but no measuring here folks... :blush:
    The panels had been cut before I had test fitted this radiator, very wise!
    Too my joy.. it DID fit. It took some small tweaking, but does fit perfect!
    (I think if it didn't fit I would have scrapped the built! I will measure in future!)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

OK so the cuts.. not perfect, managed to get them done with a cheap jigsaw and the aluminium blade that came with it.
    Thats okay though, I had already planned to cover the aluminium dividers with black glass or acrylic panels (cut by someone with better equipment), to then under light them. As seen quite a lot these days!

I was surprised it actually fits in an off the shelf case.. but it does this one!

[​IMG]

Excuse the cutting dust with finger marks in the bottom! I imagine I had to rescue a lost screw!

The boring fans on the front just had to go, cooling wepon of choice was the Xigmatek 140mm Black Fan. In fairness finding a decent looking 140mm fan was a nightmare.. I had seen this same fan in an orangey red.. and really didn't look so nice.
    When I stumbled across the black version, I was much happier!

[​IMG]

Working really nice with the build.. and fit the case/monsta just fine:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

So next I fitted the reservoirs! Went for the little ones as I wanted to fill the spot above the PSU and they seemed the perfect size. After all.. they only hold some fluid...

[​IMG]

Sitting all nice and in line!

[​IMG]

And for the over all look so far:

[​IMG]

A little boring for now I know! More interesting things to come.. alas at 3am I am too tired to upload more... write more.. and such.

So for now, that's a start!

Last edited: 24 Mar 2010
    t1alek likes this.
  2. Botn3vik

Botn3vik Mod it!

Subbed! that rad, and that case. (L)(L)

3. Autti

Autti What's a Dremel?

Um.... have you checked that a long graphics card will fit now?

4. imersa

imersa Parvum Princess

The motherboard is in place and I have tested with the GTX 295 Series and all is well.
    If I wanted to go ati, the exhaust from the 5970 will be just a bit too long. But I imagine with the water block that could resolve that issue.

An update to follow tonight!

5. mrdbristol

mrdbristol Voided my warranty years ago

Don't see many of those cases around, i love them :)

Deffo be watching how much watercooloing you can get in them.

Nice start :thumb:

6. StEm

StEm What's a Dremel?

definately keeping an eye on this, nice start..

7. Spyrious

Spyrious Modding all the Time

Thats a FAT rad.Nice start.

8. xDeaDReckoninGx

xDeaDReckoninGx ****ing delete my account,

THATS EPIC! ive subbed!

9. Xtrafresh

Xtrafresh It never hurts to help

jesus tapdancing christ that thing is huge! i love it :D
    keep going, i'll be keeping an eye out!

10. Raiden

Raiden Portuguese reviewer

Il be folowing this .. love the case and the radiator !!

11. Timmytomas

Timmytomas What's a Dremel?

Thats just flat out amazing! [​IMG]

12. mbt28

mbt28 What's a Dremel?

This case is really awesome :jawdrop:

13. sentek

sentek What's a Dremel?

really nice start,
    that rad looks sick good :D
    sub'd :thumb:

14. grritsshawn

grritsshawn I'm not insane I'm a modder

then i jizzed in my pants

15. wE-eViL

wE-eViL Sparky

How tall is that case?

16. jegerjon

jegerjon What's a Dremel?

This is off to a good start! I'll be watching from the sideline and commentating if something is all wrong ;)

Good luck :)

17. Picarro

Picarro What's a Dremel?

The radiator.. ITS OVER 9000!!

18. t1alek

t1alek Mind modder.

^what jegerjon said ;)

I've always loved the x2000 and x500 cases, so I'll definitely be watching.

+rep

19. stuartwood89

stuartwood89 Please... Just call me Stu.

I've never seen a radiator that's nearly as thick as it it wide! I like the three little reserviors at the back. I assume they'll be connected together?

20. imersa

imersa Parvum Princess

Thanks all for the positive comments so far! Its been a good start and I'm glad you all love the radiator and case as much as me.

Thanks mate.. I will need some good eyes on the log, it's easy to miss something and im bound to need plenty of advice!

Out of the box it's 680mm tall, now I have an update on route today showing the case extension... so I will give you guys the new size then!

When this is done I know I can fit a second Monsta in.. so I am highly considering this... What do you all think? I know that's over kill... but you know?

I know, totally crazy, As I said above, certainly tempted to get a second.. there will be room.
    Good/Bad idea?
    Regarding the little res'.. I had planned to just use them one for each loop, but they are so small I think I will be connecting them. The plus side of that is I can then can use these for the other loops -

[​IMG]

As you can see there are two drive bays in the lower section of the case, that can be filled as I'll have room for CD drive/s up top.

Photos all ready so see you tonight for an update!