1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scratch Build – In Progress Skyscraper

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by slipperyskip, 1 Jul 2007.

1. dacust

dacust What's a Dremel?

That happened to me. too. That's why you notice in my post I put "soft-ware" and "utilities". I have seen this type of stuff in other forums, where certain words are replaced with other stuff. Interesting that it doesn't apply to the quoted text, so obviously it's done at display time. <edit> OK, so it doesn't show in the quoted portion while editing the post, but does after posting. </edit>

@MODS: IMHO I don't think this quite fits this forum. Can you turn it off?

@SPQQKY - Yeah, I can see why you'd use the USB, then. Makes sense.

@slipperyskip - Thanks for the veneer tutorial. I like that hand-miter. Never saw one before. About the only thing I do different, well actually, in addition, is use a metal roller over the veneer before clamping. Probably not necessary for small work, but I like to think I am pushing out air bubbles and smoothing out the glue layer a little better.

2. slipperyskip

slipperyskip Member

Yeah...I do that when I'm working with contact cement on large pieces like the white oak cover of the Decomatic. I've never had any problem with smaller, well clamped down pieces using carpenter's glue.

Speaking of clamping down, I had to bring out the big daddy clamp for this next step.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Creeping becomes a bigger problem with larger pieces using larger clamps. I've been known to apply the veneer in the wrong place in anticipation that the clamping creep will bring it to the correct position. These types of clamps don't bring their force perfectly perpendicular to the surface. They have a tendency to creep away from the handle. I need better clamps...and more of them. Can't have too many clamps an old carpenter once told me.

Wait three hours......

3. Dean MF

Dean MF PC Freak!

Congratulations on being selected as a contestant in the mod-of-the-month competition!

4. slipperyskip

slipperyskip Member

Congrats to you too. Good luck!

[​IMG]

Here is the resulting overhang. Time to get busy with the emory boards....errr....sandpaper on a stick.

[​IMG]

Results. The seam sits on the side away from view.

[​IMG]

Final shot of finished edge. The edge is sharp and straight.

I cut a total of 49 pieces of veneer for this project and dressed up 82 seams.

5. slipperyskip

slipperyskip Member

Hmmm...toys.

[​IMG]

This is a VIA CN10000EG motherboard with a fanless 1GHz C7 processor. The single memory slot is filled with a 1GB stick of Crucial DDR2 533.

The power supply is the bitchin' 120W picoPSU from mini-box.com. Also from mini-box is the CF IDE adapter with a 2GB Crucial compact flash card.

Not a powerful system but it is dead silent. The motherboard has a composite TV-out port on the back panel that will mate up to my screen.

6. slipperyskip

slipperyskip Member

[​IMG]

New equipment mounted onto the backplate.

[​IMG]

The backplate is birch plywood painted with industrial aluminum paint. It is not real aluminum, as written elsewhere, but I will take that as a compliment. Goal achieved.

[​IMG]

Glamour shot - backside - other angle.

[​IMG]

The I/O panel is exposed by tilting the piece onto its back. The composite TV-out plug is connected.

Final front pics coming soon. Photographing the display in action will be a trick. From my appearances in magazines I've learned that professional photographers will commonly cheat in this area. They have me do a screen capture of my desktop and then photochop it in. I don't possess those skills so....we'll see. Good thing digital film is free. :hehe:

7. slipperyskip

slipperyskip Member

Complete!

[​IMG]

Finished it up with a coat of Johnson's Paste Wax. Good stuff.

[​IMG]

Sunset at Stonington, Connecticut.

[​IMG]

Cheating....old school style.

Thank you everyone for looking and commenting. It has been fun.

Cheers!

8. DAE_JA_VOO

DAE_JA_VOO What's a Dremel?

Great great mod :D

9. elbarto241

elbarto241 What's a Dremel?

this has been simply an amazing project from start to finish :D you really inspired me to whip up a little something of my own in the future. again beautiful job dude

10. slipperyskip

slipperyskip Member

Thanks DAE_JA_VOO. I appreciate it.

Thanks! It is very rewarding to me to hear that I might actually inspire others.

11. Dj Ovin

Dj Ovin What's a Dremel?

Thats a sweet looking little mod you got! :) Very nice finish on the alu ( lol ) and the rest of the wood !

One things for sure , you got some skills with wood-working! hope to se more interesting projects in the future

12. dacust

dacust What's a Dremel?

Very nicely done. The light accents are just right. Awesome!!! :thumb:

13. greensabbath

greensabbath Got Wood?

I knew there was a great reason why I voted for you and that last picture sums its up very nicely. I especially love those buttons, perfect addition and adds a great touch. Very nice mod.

14. slipperyskip

slipperyskip Member

Thanks. I'm not a woodworker. Greensabbath is a woodworker. If you are interested in my other work you should visit my web site. I have around fifteen (or twenty?...lost track:duh:) more of my creations there.

Man....you don't know what I went through with those accents. I know I have driven my insiders crazy in the last week. I had moral issues with changing the design of the Hammond. In the end they held a gun to my head. :hehe:

15. dacust

dacust What's a Dremel?

Yes, Greensabath is a woodworker. But, you are, too. Nice fit, good technique, well balanced design and a good finish. When you do all those things as well as you do, you can call yourself a woodworker with no apologies.

Another vote for mod-of-the-month here.

16. imkeller

imkeller What's a Dremel?

grrrreat, truly.

17. Dean MF

Dean MF PC Freak!

Awesome mod man! Really amazing. Well done!!!

18. Dj Ovin

Dj Ovin What's a Dremel?

Well , never said you were a wood-worker ? :) I just thought the result looke nice !

19. Laky

Laky What's a Dremel?

@%!$# amazing!

Everything goes together beautifully, nothing looks out of place.

20. slipperyskip

slipperyskip Member

OK. I apologize for that.

Thanks dacust, imkeller, Dean MF and Laky! Thanks for taking the time to comment.

I'm working on doing a video of it going through a slideshow. Transitions and all that good stuff. I've never done much video so this should be fun.