1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SlaterSpeeds 'Liquified' - Update 09/08/04 - Stage2 Started!! (Painting)

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by slater, 9 Feb 2004.

1. slater

slater Mummy Says Im Special

Thanks, The jobs good athough its not leaving much time for modding im afrade. (Effectivly i work 7-6)

I lack motivation for this project atm. :( I got hold of some brass to make a northbridge block from collage and was all set to start work again but then found out the brass i picked up was small than i thought it was and hence it was too small for my block design. Im not sure if i should get some more brass or if i should change my block so that its smaller :sigh:

slater..

2. kickarse

kickarse What's a Dremel?

If nobody's said it before I will...

You have to be careful with Alu and Cu together in a water environment like that. Corrosion is going to happen.

In any event I love the case. I was planning the louvers as well but hadn't found a shop yet! Stinks... anyways great work!

3. antiHero

antiHero ReliXmas time!

same from me! i like the case a lot. think u are the first one i saw with hand made waterblocks. :thumb:

4. slater

i know that, ive been doing this kind of thing for years ;)

Its been running 24/7 since last May and there no sign of corrosion so far. The res is 100% clean, im not sure the internals of the block will look but i wouldent expect there to be a huge differance. Thats what additives are for.. :thumb:

slater..

5. Fozzy

Fozzy What's a Dremel?

whats the point of watercooling at all? i mean most overclock dont show any real world improvement anyways from my experience. I think hes doing it because noone else is

6. munky

munky What's a Dremel?

no-one else watercools????

I wonder what all those tubes and pipes in my pc are then :eyebrow:

You must have some cahones to make your own waterblocks, credit where its due though, those are some purrrrdy blocks....The dual exit thing works well on my ones and they have the smaller entrance hole to speed water flow too. Well designed, and even more so if you hadnt seen these before.

Asetek Antarctica bock
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. Fozzy

Fozzy What's a Dremel?

lots of people watercool but i've only seen about 2 mods with wc'ed psus. Thats what i was referring to

8. Firehed

Firehed Why not? I own a domain to match.

That's because they're either
    a) really expensive and often can't deliver the same performance as a regular PSU
    or b) are extremely risky to create yourself, not to mention difficult.

9. slater

The cpu watercooling has gained me atleast 200mhz on my overclock. Thats not to shabby. The relly kool thing is that the pc is vey quiet in comparison to air coling and the cpu core running on 2v witout ever goinghigher than 45C

The point to watercooling the psu,northbridge etc is noise reduction more than performance.

slater..

10. H2O-G33K

H2O-G33K What's a Dremel?

It's not that difficult to water-cool a psu. Ive done two now without incident, and will be doing a few more in the not-too-distant future.

I do it for the same reasons - you have a silent machine that's clocked as high or higher than the air-cooled equivalent!

11. munky

munky What's a Dremel?

I built the pc in my sig, and added watercooling to the CPU, VGA and chipset as my 1st 'mod'. It was really easy, no leaks, nothing broken. :rolleyes: It wasnt really expensive either, quite reasonable I thought.

It isnt quite silent, but 2 120mm fans give off a LOT less noise than the array of fans a lot of aircoolers have.

As to overclocking not getting any benefits!

P4 3.4 @ 3.74 (max temp 39C)
    X800 @ 555/525 (max temp 32C)

In real terms, that equates to 20fps more than standard in NFS Underground2 (120 avg). Fraps recording at 25fps+ in games at full detail, DivX encoding at 1.7 times realtime, DVD transcoding at 1.1 times realtime, Halved bootup times for high load apps etc etc etc etc etc

cmon ppl, admit it, the only reason you think w'c is bad is because you are jealous of all our shiny tubes :p :hehe:

ps, If any of you proper overclockers want to ingratiate a noob into the scene and help me tweak this thing even more, add me to your msn and lets get tweaking :rock: (joe@munkytshirts.com (its a dead email addy so dont email))

Last edited: 28 Jan 2005
  12. slater

Look i did something -

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Got to radius the ends of the mounts :thumb:

13. KAMIKAZE-FREAK

KAMIKAZE-FREAK What's a Dremel?

14. Firehed

Firehed Why not? I own a domain to match.

Looks really nice - I love that brass top! Really well made too.

/edit - thanks for that how-to-wc-your-psu link... I never thoguht it's as simple as adding a copper pipe, I had figured it would take a maze4-type block to attach the hot parts to.

15. slater

Why yes it is :thumb:

slater..

16. webbyman

webbyman Hax.

'fantastico' modding skills you have there and a very nice water cooling set-up :p :naughty: i think it takes pure skill to make something that good :thumb: :hehe:

*although the only bad thing i spotted about your rig is the fact that your using a Qtec psu :duh:

17. slater

ty :)

It does the job and cost £15, therfore its not a bad thing ;)

18. Leeum

Leeum What's a Dremel?

Nice to see work commencing again :D Only thing i'll say is you should add fans and grills to both those 120mm intakes, they look funny as there are no fans against them ;)

19. jaguarking11

jaguarking11 Peterbilt-strong

anychance you will resurect this thread? U never finished the psy water cooling.

bring it back

20. slater

i doubt it will be going ahead and watercooling the PSU in this project but it will be a nessicity in my new one so stay tuned.

The projects not dead, just going rather slow :sigh:

slater..