1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SlaterSpeeds 'Liquified' - Update 09/08/04 - Stage2 Started!! (Painting)

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by slater, 9 Feb 2004.

1. fillip

fillip What's a Dremel?

oooooh that looks nice... you know, it's my birthday, would you like to give me your lurvely new waterblock?!?! :naughty: :naughty:

thats sweet man, excellent work.

.: Fillip :.

2. Spotpuff

Spotpuff What's a Dremel?

OK how in the hell did you get the little "grooves" on the inside of the holes? I mean, if you had to use a bit, wouldn't the bit pieces be too big to fit into hte hole :confused:

*sigh* This is what I get for not having a drill press I guess :blah:

Still, that is one damn fine looking block. I didn't know where the design was going until that last pic with the three holes :)

3. Luhny

Luhny What's a Dremel?

read the page before this #32. he used a machine and cut them

4. slater

slater Mummy Says Im Special

Do you mean the threads ?? i made them using a tap :rock: :confused:

5. Spotpuff

Spotpuff What's a Dremel?

Yeah the threads; I think that's what they're called. The things that barbs screw into to attach the tubing. :dremel:

Edit: Just wondering why the middle hole isn't cut through all the way, but just has a slit?

6. dudeyourmomiscute!

dudeyourmomiscute! What's a Dremel?

why does the center hole look like it's gonna just add more unwanted pressure and restrict water flow..

7. isisfreak

isisfreak What's a Dremel?

Looking good, I'll be watching this one. :rock:

More pressure.

8. 3N1GM4

3N1GM4 What's a Dremel?

the water block looks good... hope it works out nicely...

as i too love the orange on that case... keep it up

9. slater

Its there to speed up the water as it flows through the channels. This is quite important to the design of the block as if it is not there there is a dead spot of water over the cpu die and in the bottom of the channels.
    The dead spot would degrade performance. :nono:

ps. I should be making a start on the Res and shroud 2day :thumb:

10. Da_Rude_Baboon

Da_Rude_Baboon What the?

Looking good! :rock:

I'm no expert on watercooling but you might want to post your design on the extreme cooling board to get some feedback on your block design and the layout of your loop.

11. Fr0z3n

Fr0z3n What's a Dremel?

Very nice job on the waterblock. Lots of people have made really nice ones latley. Yall should make lots and sell them. :naughty: Cause I would sure buy some.

12. Pygo

Pygo Rick Relixed

Yeah, I think I would buy that block from you as well, as long as it fits a s478 setup. But it looks like to me you have an AMD setup there. A VIA chipset on I think a Gigabyte 7VAXP mobo... what are your specs of the system?

13. slater

Thanks guys :)

Yes im using an AMD system but im not going to use the board that is in the pics. It is more or less dead anyway, something to do with the AGP so it may still work but only with pci gfx!! :wallbash::D. The system i will be using is in my sig.

I may look into manufacturing a few more blocks after i finish the rest of the system but i doubt i can do it very cheaply. That one took me a couple of days straight work. I figure if i make 10 at a time i could do about one or two a day.

Just out of interest how much would you be willing to pay for one?

ps. I started the shrouds 2day so will get some pics up in a couple of hours their looking good!

14. Pygo

Pygo Rick Relixed

um. I'm not sure... the metal blocks cost money how much do they cost? and then there is labour. I would want one doen for a socket 478 p4, not an Athlon. If you can't make it for a s478, then I will :waah:. but then again, the shipping will be harsh, since I live over the pond in Canada. Also, I would want o put four of these: Peltier link.

and of course another slab of copper underneith those, at least 1/4" think.

What do you think would be a fair price? I don't know to much about labour and stuff, and how hard it is to do that. I know it will work out to more than $10 an hour cdn$.

To bad I don't have an AMD system eh :(

15. Wicked Li'l Bender

Wicked Li'l Bender What's a Dremel?

Very Important!!!!

Please look into the how to section about anodizing or take the alum part to get it annodized so you you don't have a nasty bimetalic corosive reaction inside your block.... But other than that, Looks awesome!

16. slater

lol you worry too much :lol: . Im going to get it anodised (or possibly have a go myself depending on what the price is) but im not doing it yet cous ive got about 5 or 6 other blocks and a res to do!

I will prob get a quote for the res and cpu block first and then get the rest done later that way i can use the cpu loop before i make all the other blocks

I have read alot about doing it at home so i may try that if i can get hold of some sulfuric acid on the cheap :thumb:

Edit: Im not sure pygobombe. It would be easy to make one for a p4 but it would have to be a totaly differant design to work with a peltier. the meterials would probably come to around £30 for copper alu and anodising or i may be able to do an all copper version but thats just a estimate. lobour is the killer where i work we charge about £20 per hour for labor so a day works out to about £200 and thats alot! if i made a batch then that price would come down but for a one off then it would be very high.

But like i say i will look into it a bit more when ive finished this project. At the mo i just dont have time. :(

Last edited: 19 Feb 2004
  17. Pygo

Pygo Rick Relixed

ok.. I think I would want all copper. but not at that much... I respect your work and all. but I can't aford that, so I guess I'll let you look into it a bit more.

and for time, go ahead and do it right, I am in no rush for water cooling right now. I look forward to seeing your project finished :)

18. slater

Thats kool :D i dont expect anyone to pay over £100 for a waterblock or eaven over £50 relly unless it was a cascade beater, eaven if it is a one off its just not worth it.

But nm on with the log and the shroud pics

[​IMG]

Back :
    [​IMG]

Not finished yet but getting there. Im going to fill up some of the minor imperfections with body filler and then paint them and the core.

And yes they are aluminum and are welded. :thumb:

Last edited: 11 May 2004
  19. Providence

Providence What's a Dremel?

Wow, did you do the welding yourself? If so, that's great work!

I can't wait for some paint on that heater core...the whole thing is really fugly. Is there an advantage to using a heater core versus a radiator sold by Black Ice?

20. slater

Yeh i did it myself with the TIG welder at work. Im still lurning but after alot of practice goes i finaly managed to get it to weld. It was very hard cous the alu is superthin.

The heatercores are alot better for performance than a BIX or simlar they have alot lower flow resistance and alot more surface area. :thumb: