1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SLi Certified Power Supplies

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by snez, 20 Jul 2005.

1. snez

snez What's a Dremel?

Ok my supplier is currently building me this gaming PC

ASUS A8N Premium motherboard
    Athlon 64 FX-55 processor
    Dual MSI GeForce 7800GTX SLi
    1GB Kingston HyperX memory
    2x250GB SATA HDD at RAID 0
    VA8000 Super Tower Series Armor Chasis case
    Nec 16X Dual Layer DVD +/- RW
    Q-TEC PSU 650W Triple Fan 24p

I am very worried of this power supply not being SLi Certified. I can't find any information on the internet about running SLi systems with non SLi certified PSUs and I don't really know what I should be afraid of. If someone has tried a similar PSU configuration and had any problems please post them!

2. 1st time modder

1st time modder What's a Dremel?

There is really nothing to be afraid of as it probably was designed to support that kind of system, but the voltages on each rail may tend to flucuate (sp?) more than a more expensive SLI certified powersupply. Other than that I would stick with it and just see how it performs, then if needed decide on a replacement.

3. b1g-d0g

b1g-d0g Multimodder

Dont get q-tech they go bang 9/10 times,you are going to need a far better psu,ive got the pcpower&cooling 510 sli model,yes it is a bit pricey but well worth it in the end as the power lines are very stable.

4. felix the cat

felix the cat Spaceman Spiff

about fifty million threads in hardware & overclocking about psu's and whats good and whatsnot...just check the hardware forum and :search:

5. monkeyville

monkeyville Evilish Monkey ++;

The price of the other components to me says that money isnt too much of an issue with this build. Therefore ditch the QTEC power supply of impending death and buy something more reliable so all the other stuff doesnt go with it.

6. webbyman

webbyman Hax.

Enermax Noisetaker 600W EG701AX-VE(W) SFMA ATX2.0 SLI Compliant

they are about £90 ;)

Tagan TG580-U22 580W ATX2.01 2Force SLi Compliant Silent PSU about £80

or you could get an ocz one...

Qtec are S**t :)

7. Shadowed_fury

Shadowed_fury Minimodder

Or get one of the Modular Hiper PSU's, they pwn!
    Only about £75~ and the sexiest psu ever.

8. bengaskell

bengaskell Banned

NO WAY!

My Qtec supply sucks balls. It broke at the worst possible time. But I am lazy and using laptop until I buy a quality one...

bg

9. tank_rider

tank_rider What's a Dremel?

Your building up an expensive quality system there, don't do it the injustice of putting a poop PSU in it. Get something from a reputable brand, and yes i would suggest getting one that is SLI certified, as it will be guarenteed to work reliably.

10. severedhead

severedhead What's a Dremel?

Every Q-tec PSU that I have owned has gone all wobbly in some way or another, even in cheap low-powered systems. Don't even contemplate keeping it, get a Tagan, Enermax or OCZ instead.

11. QuinnDexter

QuinnDexter What's a Dremel?

my old qtec made the most horrible dog whistle whine every time i turned it on.. to the point where i would sit there wondering if it was going to go pop that day...

luckily it never did as i got rid of it when my new case came with a PSU of a more decent quality..

if i could afford the kit you outlined i certainly wouldnt put qtec within 100 yards of it

12. snez

snez What's a Dremel?

Greets to all the suggestions, I found a Seasonic 600W in a store this morning and I am still checking if I can find an Enermax as suggested

13. Firehed

Firehed Why not? I own a domain to match.

I've got an Antec truepower 550w myself, no issues even with SLI and 5 (!) hard drives, two of which are raptors. I'm 99.5% sure the new Truepower II 480 and 550w actually HAVE two PCIE connectors (I got the EPS model and used the 4x2 12v plug to make mine :D). No, I don't think they're SLI certified (it's possible though, haven't checked), but Antec is a good name, and if my makeshift SLI modded one has been running very well (if not a tad warm, but that's probably more from the carbon fibre vinyl on the outside than anything else), I highly doubt one intended for it wouldn't. Lines are rock stable. They read a bit low in the BIOS, which is wrong (reads like 11.78v on the 12v line, but IIRC it's like 12.05 with a decent meter), but they also never waiver in that reading which is what's really important.

14. Will

Will Beware the judderman...

The Antec Truepower II 550w is definitely SLi certified (looked into it when I bought mine), and yes it does have 2 PCI-E connectors.

Other than clarifying that, I can only echo everybody elses comments about how rubbish Qtec PSUs are. Look towards Antec, Tagan and Enermax..and for gods sake don't go with the Qtec! :)