1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Graphics SLI or new card?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by SpannerSlammer, 2 Oct 2012.

1. Parge

Parge the worst Super Moderator

Sure, but there is no way that the 570 is low end. It'll still play every single game in very near max at 1080p.

2. rollo

rollo Modder

Having had 580 sli and still watched bf3 struggle with microstutter on ultra i can say that a 570 sli would still struggle with it.

I personally cant hack microstutter its annoying as hell each there own in this respect i guess, As ive always said sell cards on ebay for decent cost replace with better is still cheaper than buying another 570 ( isnt said card End of Life ). Can get a refurb 570 for £170 ( scan (http://www.scan.co.uk/shop/computer-hardware/all/gpu-nvidia/nvidia-geforce-gtx570-pci-e-(480-cores)) ) New is still £200 that card is not really a cheap sli option. You will still get at least £120-£140 on ebay for the 570 as well.

670 is still the better deal than 570 sli will ever be. ( he brought a 670 anyway )

And with correct planning its possible to stay with best single gpu cards for pretty cheap each year due to decent resale value.

3. SpannerSlammer

SpannerSlammer What's a Dremel?

Thanks for all the replies, so is everyone in agreement the EVGA GTX 670 Cheesecake 2GB (cheesecake:hehe:) is the way to go?

Where do you all sell ur old cards i had a look around with out any joy.
    I'm not the biggest fan of ebay as its full with wasters

4. Shirty

Shirty W*nker! Super Moderator

Once you've reached the requisite number of useful, constructive posts you can sell them on the marketplace here.

I'm biased of course, but that card's an excellent choice. :D

Last edited: 15 Oct 2012
  5. SpannerSlammer

how many posts we talking? As i'd like to get rid of it soon

6. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

75 posts before you can access the marketplace.

I wouldn't try to spam your way to 75 posts either, it is heavily frowned upon.

As for your other query, I would definitely go for the 670 F T W. I have the standard EVGA 670, and it easily clocks up to give the same performance as a 680; at least in Unigine, anyway.

7. Rygel Cumberbatch

Rygel Cumberbatch What's a Dremel?

I have to say. My response to this question would have been to buy a second 570 and go down the SLI route. Having compared FPS figures for 570 SLI and 670, the 570 SLI seemed to lead by 20-30%.

But if buying a second card will force you to upgrade your PSU, then a new 670 would be the way to go.

Maybe look into upgrading your PSU soon so, when you need extra power, you can plug in a second 670? Ceteris paribus, it seems to regularly be the most efficient route FPS-wise.

8. [PUNK] crompers

[PUNK] crompers Dremedial

But raw FPS doesnt take into account micro stutter, power and heat requirements

9. SpannerSlammer

My psu is a corsair 850 so power shouldn't be an issue. I think I'll go for the 670 still.

10. rollo

rollo Modder

Duel 670 uses less power than duel 570s about 250watt less to be accurate.

You could in theory run a 670 SLI on a 500 watt psu I would not do it long term but its doable. Uses aprox 400 watts from the wall ( 680sli is 458)

11. .//TuNdRa

.//TuNdRa Resident Bulldozer Guru

Hokay; Dual 670's actually uses about the same power as my Dual 550's setup, i'm pushing maybe 650 watts here, and that's on an Overclocked Bulldozer, with all the power leakage that involves.

Following on from that; It's more than plausible to be able to use a 500Watt PSU, so long as you don't get too clock-happy, and so long as you don't have too much else running on the PSU.

Only thing to look out for is that you don't bump into Nvidia Boost issues, 670's run cool normally, but they get exceptionally toasty in SLI, simply because those Heatsinks are bargain basement at most.

12. .//TuNdRa

.//TuNdRa Resident Bulldozer Guru

Oh the wonders of odd, sudden Doubleposts. >:|

13. SpannerSlammer

how much do u think my Gigabyte 1280MB GeForce GTX 570 would go for on ebay?

14. Shirty

Shirty W*nker! Super Moderator

Do you have an eBay account? Have a look. :hehe:

15. SpannerSlammer

had a look no real average price there all over the place

16. modd1uk

modd1uk Multimodder

Get next to nothing for 570s which is the reason I ain't selling mine.

Sent from my HTC Sensation using Tapatalk

17. Blogins

Blogins Panda have Guns

At the moment playing BF3 mine pulls under 500W consistently, so this is accurate.

Although a decent 600W would be required to not stress the PSU too much, unless it's an Enermax. Seriously considering downgrading my Watt requirements and ditching the Corsair AX 850 in favour of a 600W Enermax Platimax. Unfortunately I don't particularly trust any of the retailers that supply this PSU at the time of writing!