1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Graphics SLI or Not for Multiple Monitors

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by toro1966, 9 Aug 2006.

1. toro1966

toro1966 What's a Dremel?

I am currently running a triple monitor display (using 3 19" widescreen monitors). I have two nVidia cards (5200/5500). Everything works great. I am getting ready to build a new computer because my son needs one. I plan on giving him my current one and keeping the new one :D

I plan on running an Intel Core 2 Duo 6600. I have to be honest, I am not a big time gamer, but I do several graphics intensive applications. I know that the new motherboard will have two PCIe 16x slots. I intend to get 2 nVidia 7900 256MB video cards. So now on to my question:

Since I don't plan on using the video cards in a combined fashion (bridged), do I need to worry about having an SLI capable motherboard? Additionally, are the cards I mentioned above good choices for what I am looking for? And lastly, is there any reason that I wouldn't be able to use those 2 7900 cards in a non-SLI motherboard and run a triple montior setup on it? Thanks in advance for any help.
    Cheers,
    Ray

2. Exitios

Exitios What's a Dremel?

While I can't answer your questions in regards to the motherboard, I can say that for what programs you say you run, the 7900 GT/GTX may be a bit much. Try stepping down to the 7800 GTX, since it's slightly cheaper, and is a single-slot card. I've got two XFX 7800 GTX's that're factory overclocked to 490/1300 in SLI, and they work wonderfully. Also, I'm fairly sure the 7800/7900 (maybe even the 7600) lineup has dual-DVI out, so a 3-monitor setup shouldn't be problem at all.

Last edited: 9 Aug 2006
  3. hydro_electric_655

hydro_electric_655 Dremelly Dude

As long as the board supports 2-3 PCI-E 16X it will support 2 non SLI setup cards.

4. oasked

oasked Stuck in (better) mud

And I wouldn't go higher than a 7600 for what you plan to do, beyond that seems like a waste of money. :)

5. toro1966

toro1966 What's a Dremel?

Fantastic! Thank you all very much for the quick and informative responses!
    Cheers,
    Ray

Tags: