1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Graphics Slow boot after overclock

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by 7hr08ik, 8 Dec 2012.

1. 7hr08ik

7hr08ik Kill all Humans!

Hey guys,

Ive searched as much as can be bothered on google but all i can find is CPU overclock. My problem is GPU.

SO...

My CPU and RAM are overclocked but have been for about 6 months now, so i know its nothing to do with them. I am running an ageing GTX275. But the other day i found an Accelero Xtreme cooler for my card. After farting around with getting the damn thing installed, i began overclocking my GPU further than it was, as the cooler keeps the card below 60`C.

I spent the whole of yesterday pushing the card up to; Core Clock - 720MHz and Mem Clock - 1350MHz. It may need a bit of tweaking but so far it has passed Kombustor, Furmark, and Crysis bench.

But when i tried to push the memory to 1375MHz the card didn't do its usual revert to safety 400Mhz it just completely crashed. So i thought id just overheated the ram and decided to leave it off for the night and goto bed. letting it cool. Woke up this morning and the PC took 10 mins to boot. I checked the boot code, and its during the GPU bios loading that the hang occurs.

Ive rebooted the PC a few times. And every time it takes about 5-10 mins to boot. Even with my ssd cache. So im wanting to know if anyone has any ideads, what the hell ive done or whats going on.

2. deathtaker27

deathtaker27 Modder

If you remove the overclock does it go back to normal?

3. BennieboyUK

BennieboyUK CPC Folder of the Month Sep 2011

I would do all the obvious stuff first;

reset all the CMOS/BIOS settings to default, test
    Revert all GFX settings back (if possible), test
    Replace the GFX card with another one, test

then report back on the findings.

4. 7hr08ik

7hr08ik Kill all Humans!

i have tried resetting the card to normal.....it doesn`t help.

I can try with another card. And im going to now try resetting evrything to stock values. CPU, RAM, and GPU.

I`ll report back

5. 7hr08ik

7hr08ik Kill all Humans!

All settings on stock - slow boot
    Replaced card still with all stock settings - normal boot
    Replaced card CPU and RAM overclock - Normal boot

I have just checked all the heatsinks on my 275, I have all the memory chips, vrms, etc cooling with heatsinks. But the damn pads are crap. Ive found one of the R22 chips has lost its heatsink, but from what I understand they are not nesseseraly required to be cooled...is this right?

I would make sure the chip is stuck on properly, but im out of TIM, and ive got no way of sticking the heatsink back on ATM.

Gonna replace my card, and see what happens when i boot. report back in a few

6. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

When you overclock your GPU, it's only overclocked under Windows, unless you used a program that edited the firmware (which is completely stupid, why would you want to do that?).

MSI AfterBurner, EVGA Precision, Nv GPU Pro, all communicate with the Nvidia graphic card drivers to overclock your GPU within Windows, and not edit the firmware. That means when you are out of Windows (or not login into your account for that mater), the GPU OC is not applied. The downside of using the Nvidia drivers to overclock your GPU, is that if the driver crashes and recovers, it will ignore all overclock settings until your restart your computer.

With the GTX 275, does its fan spins at full ludicrous speed while you wait for the 5-10min before your system start posting?

7. 7hr08ik

7hr08ik Kill all Humans!

Yeah i know msi only adds the overclock at windows logon.

Not idea iof the fans spins stupidly fast during post, cost its so damn silent...lol

But now i have replaced my 275 in my rig. and its booting no problem. Re-applied all my overclocks, to system and gpu, rebooted, and its all fine!?!?!?!
    WTF!!!

Im happy i fixed it (if indeed i did)

Resetting all the clocks to stock speeds did nothing, putting a different card in made it boot quickly again, replacing my card back still booted quickly again.

I want to know why this has fixed it though...is it that removing and replacing my card sorted out a gpu bios error maybe.......or is it that putting the different card in my system reset something?

8. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

Well... When your computer is turned off, it's not really off. I have a an Creative X-Fi card on my system. It happens time to times (normal for this wonderful Creative product) that the card itself crashes. In such case, resetting the computer, or turn it on or off again doesn't solve the problem. I need to go on the back of my case, and turn the power switch of my PSU to the OFF position, than wait until my motherboard LEDs goes off, and NOW, I can turn it back on, and my problem is solved.

In your case, pulling the card out, obviously cut completely power to it, and so it solved your problem. That would be my guess.

P.S: I need to buy a Xonar.

9. noizdaemon666

noizdaemon666 I'm Od, Therefore I Pwn

This. When your computer is "off" it's actually in a sleep state (S5 to be exact) so there's still power to a fair few things. Taking the card out obviously removed all power from the card and reset any error on it.

I had a similar issue when I had a GTX 470. When I was really pushing it (1GHz+ on the core 2200+ on the mem I think) slight instability would completely lock my rig up. Turning it off and on wouldn't do anything I had to turn the PSU off.