1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Storage Slow HDD

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by -Jv-, 28 Jun 2011.

1. -Jv-

-Jv- What's a Dremel?

I recently reinstalled my OS and I was expecting it to be quite... fast again. But for some reason my HDD seems very slow so I downloaded HD Tune and that confirmed my idea:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

One weird this is that is boots as fast as it should but once it's booted it goes slower then my old Pentium

Specs:

Rampage III Extreme
    Core i7 920
    MSi GTX 460
    BFG Tech 9800 GTX+ (Physics and 3rd screen connector :D)
    3x2GB Corsair 1333MHz DDR3

Thanks in advance !

2. dancingbear84

dancingbear84 error 404

Have you installed all drivers for the mobo including chipset and Sata?

3. -Jv-

-Jv- What's a Dremel?

I'm certain I installed the chipset drivers; I'll look at the SATA drivers now.

Edit: Still the same :(

Last edited: 28 Jun 2011
  4. OCJunkie

OCJunkie OC your Dremel too

Drive set to AHCI in BIOS? Still sounds like a chipset driver issue though. Unless the drive is on its way out, but the fact that you just reinstalled Win makes the software issue that much more likely.

5. dancingbear84

dancingbear84 error 404

Did you get the drivers from the CD or the latest ones from the website?

6. -Jv-

-Jv- What's a Dremel?

I've put the drive to AHCI in the BIOS (Also needed to edit something in the registery for it to load the AHCI drivers) But doesn't change anything.

I've got the latest from their website.

Edit: I may have found a problem. After closing SabNZB & Sickbeard my HD Tune went op to speeds of 140 MB/s and everything seems to be working smoother. Is it possible that one of those programs is accesing my HDD continuously ?

Edit 2: After a closer inspection things started to slow down (And my HDD activity led stopped blinken and just burned continuously... ) after I opened Sickbeard. There appears to be some kind of bug in the application.

Last edited: 28 Jun 2011
  7. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

Try to attach your HDD to another SATA controller on your board (let is use Windows drivers if all is fine). Does that help?

Do you have another HDD you can use to test (try on a second SATA port, but on the same controller)? Can you attach your HDD to another computer and do a test?
    I am trying to see if it's the SATA controller that is bad (or the driver), or the HDD that needs to be RMA'ed.

8. Pookeyhead

Pookeyhead It's big, and it's clever.

What's your operating system? How soon after installing it did you run these tests? Is the OS indexing the drive?

Is anything else using the drive? press CTRL+SHIFT+ESC to launch task manager, then Performance, then click Resource Monitor... then select the Disk tab. Is anything hitting that drive particularly hard? If so, as you suspect, the drive is being used while you're trying to run tests.

9. -Jv-

-Jv- What's a Dremel?

Everything seems to be normal again after adjusting some settings in Sickbeard.
    Also, great tip for checking HDD activity, Pookeyhead; Nothing seemd to be over-using the hdd)

These are the speeds I'm getting now:
    [​IMG]

Thanks guys.