1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

slow upgrade route

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by sexykitten, 31 May 2004.

1. sexykitten

sexykitten We love Jaz

Hey boys

Ive decided to go for a slow upgrade route, i'm thinking of replacing my ram, mobo and CPU and getting something a little faster, everyone recomends or has an NF7v2 are these the boards to go for, first i want to be rid of my mobo and then eventually i'll get a new CPU and hopefully this will last me till when i really need to go up the 64bit path.

should i look at anything other than the NF7 boys or is there anything else you could recomend this girl. not fussed by overclocking.

2. RotoSequence

RotoSequence Lazy Lurker

The NF7 is a very stable, and relatively inexpensive, motherboard that is of decent value. Honestly though, there is little point in doing this; socket A is not good for much of anything anymore, the new techs are about to come out, and its a better idea to wait until the new Paris Core for Athlon XPs comes out and The Athlon XP moves to 754. THAT will last you until you have to switch to 64 bit :) Or you could just jump on the bandwagon and get a 2800 or 3000+ CPU :D They are great value processors that I highly reccomend :thumb: Good luck :)

EDIT: I posted first :D

3. 8-BALL

8-BALL Theory would dictate.....

As I understand it, the NF7 is so popular because of it's overclocking potential.

If that is something which doesn't interest you, then there may be a better alternative which offers a good feature set at a good price with good stock performance.

Other than that, I can't offer much assistance I'm afraid. I've been out of the socket A loop for a while and have little intention of going back in all honesty.

BigZ is probably the man in the know at the moment.

8-ball

4. 8-BALL

8-BALL Theory would dictate.....

What exactly do you have at the moment, and how much are you prepared to spend on upgrades.

8-ball

5. Highland3r

Highland3r Minimodder

The NF7 is probably the best board to go for tbh. The infinity is cheaper, but its a pain in the ass to get working properly :D

6. sexykitten

sexykitten We love Jaz

any ideas on when the paris core would be coming out, that sounds like a better solution to me.

7. RotoSequence

RotoSequence Lazy Lurker

Paris is scheduled for a summer release. Hey Zapwizard, do you know if existing 754 motherboards are compatible with the new Athlon XP chip? :)

8. Tim S

Tim S OG

I think that is the idea of the new XP chip, it'll be based on the 754-pin layout that current athlon 64s use.

As for motherboards worth looking at, the Chaintech 7NJS offers a good package in terms of features, and it's sposed to be an alright overclocker. If you're not too bothered about a box full of goodies, then the NF7-S would be my personal choice, as fast as it gets at stock speeds, and it overclocks very well too. Lots of bios options, very stable, onboard soundstorm, firewire, SATA RAID and just about everything that I would ask for in a motherboard.

I tried the infinity, and it failed to come up to my expectations, while the LANParty offers some good features in the box.

Personal choice: Abit NF7-S
    Feature packed choice: Chaintech 7NJS

9. RotoSequence

RotoSequence Lazy Lurker

I side with BigZ any day with his socket A advice and knowledge :thumb: I hope Paris is good, since 939 is out of my pocket's reach... :(

10. Kameleon

Kameleon is watching you...

Pfft, you just suck at overclocking :hehe: ;)

Despite having a Lanparty, I wouldn't actually recommend it to anyone who isn't prepared to fight with hardware or get multiple RMAs to get it to play nice - I love this board but it doesn't half give me headaches now and then. The NF7-S is my choice, too.

11. yodasarmpit

yodasarmpit Modder

I would have to again suggest the NF7-S, its an excellent mobo, it overclocks (if thats your bag) and its so damn stable.

The DFI mobos will offer you a massive FSB boost, but as I'm yet another dissatisfied customer I wouldnt recomend it, just too many problem if this was to be your main day to day rig.

I really need to find the time and get this DFI working again