1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Networks Slow write speed over network

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by modd1uk, 17 Sep 2021.

1. modd1uk

modd1uk Multimodder

Can anybody shed any light on this please.

Reading from SSD Shared folder on PC1 and writing to SSD on PC2 gives a read speed of around 108/110 MBps (gigabit network) which is perfect as it's near enough maxing the line.

However writing back to PC1 SSD Share from PC2 only nets between 50MBps and 67MBps write speed.

The SSD on PC1 is capable of write speeds in excess of 400MBps when tested locally.

Can anybody shed any light on this?

I can write to my Synology NAS which is running 2x 4TB Reds in RAID 1 at around 80MBps, makes no sense how writing to a raid 1 setup running WD reds is faster than my SSD share in my file server at home.

Thanks in advance!

2. sandys

sandys Multimodder

Check the write policy on the SSD in device manager, perhaps one of the machines has write back cache enabled or something like that which slows it down or is it the other way around, I can't remember.

Oh yeah, it needs to be enabled but the buffer flush disabled.

3. modd1uk

modd1uk Multimodder

Tried that unfortunately, same speeds with it on / off :(

Just set a test share up on my NVME DATA drive on my machine and ran the test the other way.

Same results. 54MBps write, 110MBps read.

Is this just a windows thing, because surely if it can read from the disk at 110MBps it can write to it at that given the SSD especially in my PC is capable of huge write speeds.

Last edited: 17 Sep 2021
  4. modd1uk

modd1uk Multimodder

Tested more today.

Windows PC with 2.5G adapter writing to Linux PC with 2.5G adapter, write speeds were around 110MBps so double that of the 1G network.

So doubling the network speed doubles the reads / writes, still doesn't explain why you can write at 110MBPS and read at around 250MBps on 2.5G network.

5. sandys

sandys Multimodder

Nope windows is pretty happy with fast network, I can saturate two 20Gb NICs to shares between windows PCs.

Is there some virus software interfering perhaps or some form of raid running or perhaps running copies on the same drive as pagefile/temp file?

6. modd1uk

modd1uk Multimodder

Nope, tested it across multiple machines still same results.

If the adapters are 1GB it will read from an SSD share at around 110MBps and write back to the same share at around 50-60MBps, if the adapters are 2.5GB it will read at around 250MBps and write back to the same share at 110MBps.

Tested from Windows to Windows, and Linux to Windows.

7. sandys

sandys Multimodder

Not sure, seems you would have slower wrote speed if you had something like Raid 5.

How big is the file you are coping, is it a cheap SSD that has little cache so is dropping to its RAW write speed or maybe overheating, though neither of those ideas would explain why write performance doubles with link speed doubling.

How about drive search indexing of compression, any of that enabled? I'm clutching at straws here, you can probably tell :D

8. sandys

sandys Multimodder

What OS and Network card, I did have a broadcom NIC that was very slow, I initially put it down to being a crappy atom SoC but on the adaptor settings if I disabled Large Send offload or something like that it got a lot more reliable.

9. modd1uk

modd1uk Multimodder

Tried with a few SSD's inc NVME.

Tried from Windows to Windows and Windows to Linux, write speeds the same, yet doubles when the link speed is increased to 2.5G so the drive is clearly capable of the write speeds over the network.

It makes 0 sense.