1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Steam Small Bug with Download Statistics

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by will of fortune, 23 Aug 2010.

1. will of fortune

will of fortune What's a Dremel?

Hi All,

Noticed this the last time I downloaded a game off steam. In the downloads section under library, when I'm downloading a game the 'total downloaded' under current network usage shows less than in the information about the game that is downloading.

[​IMG]

Now it's not because I started to download it before and then restarted steam because I just bought the game then started the download.

It is only a small annoyance, I can live with it but just wondered if anyone else has had this problem or know of a fix.

2. murraynt

murraynt Modder

I think it resets its self ever time it restarts or you pause it.
    So for example if you have 5 Gig diwnloaded out of 6 and you restart and finish the download it will only show up as 1 Gig downloaded.

3. will of fortune

will of fortune What's a Dremel?

No it's definately not that, I've been running this download non-stop and it started off only a few MB out of sync now its almost 300MB out of sync. Strange.

4. murraynt

murraynt Modder

And you didnt close steam or anything?
    Must be just some sort of bug then.

5. EvilMerc

EvilMerc Minimodder

I get this as well with game updates. Either it's a bug or in actual fact it's downloading that amount as it may have some of the files already.

It is odd though.

6. Physicsman

Physicsman What's a Dremel?

I get this exact same bug all the time too. I can tell which is the true figure by looking at the game file using Windows Explorer. In fact I get an additional bug in that I get differing download speeds displayed too. Again, I know what my max speed is so I know which one is the true figure.

It happens to every game I DL from Steam so I guess it must be quite common??

7. Mitcian

Mitcian What's a Dremel?

IMO the steam downloader is still pretty poor, I find it very sluggish, in refreshing the information, pausing and unpausing downloads and just like has been highlighted above I don't find it very accurate.
    It's an improvement on the old Steam download functionality which was present before this new Steam, but tbh it still sucks.
    Having said that at least it does the job, even if the extra information is rather useless.