1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Build Advice Small but Big

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Bogomip, 23 May 2012.

1. Bogomip

Bogomip ... Yo Momma

So I need advise again :p

I want to build a computer, a small, quiet computer, that can take quite alot of hardware - particularly I don't want to be restricted on what graphics card I put into the machine.

My idea is something like the Shuttle SZ68R5 (http://www.ebuyer.com/350716-shuttle-sz68r5-barebone-sz68r5) because its small, but can fit anything normal desktops can. The problem is that this case and mobo is £300, which is more than I really want to spend on a case + mobo.

Therefore I would like suggestions :)

(Must also look pretty)

Also I need a new Graphics card I guess, and theres millions, and I dont know what to get :( It needs to be cheapish, and fairly significantly better than my current NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT (mobile card I have in my laptop :)).

Thanks! :)

edit: to clear matters up, I want suggestions for a case, motherboard and graphics card - not an entire system.

Last edited: 23 May 2012
  2. RichCreedy

RichCreedy Hey What Who

custom build your own case :), and put it in the modding section for all to see

3. dunx

dunx ITX is where it's at !

budget ?

4. Bogomip

Bogomip ... Yo Momma

for the case and motherboard? £200 max probably. Graphics card as cheap as possible whilst still being alot better than what I have. I suppose what I have isn't very good at all.

5. Zinfandel

Zinfandel Well-Known Member

What's your total budget?

Do you need everything? Monitor, Windows etc?

I thought you wanted pretty? That shuttle looks dog ugly! For small and pretty it's FT03 all the way.

6. Bogomip

Bogomip ... Yo Momma

Yeah, maybe it wasnt clear enough - I want case, motherboard and graphics card suggestions.

For the record, £200 for case + mobo hopefully max, and graphics card I dont really have a limit on, just "something as cheap as possible whilst still being much better than what i have" (currently have a NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT (mobile card I have in my laptop )).

Thanks!

7. IvanIvanovich

IvanIvanovich будет глотать вашу душу.

If I was looking to build a small gaming rig right now...
    I would grab a z77 mitx board, GTX670, and probably Lian Li PCQ-08 still as I have been really pleased with that case. I realize it's over budget... but the smaller and more versatile you want to go, the increase of price is inevitable.

Bogomip likes this.
  8. Bogomip

Bogomip ... Yo Momma

Thats not too bad - will the Lian Li case fit a full sized GFX Card though?

is that big? :p 30cm I guess is quite big...

9. Mac_Trekkie

Mac_Trekkie Source Engine's #1 fan!

Yeah, the lian-li will take any card you throw at it, even a GTX 690. Another option is the Silverstone SG05, if you don't have a power supply already. It'll also take the biggest cards you can find.

10. flame696

flame696 Terminating People Since 1980....

well for the case why dont you go for the Silverstone TJ08-E, I had the case and had a a very powerful rig installed (i7 2700k, GeneZ, gtx 580) kept everything cool and i even fitted a corsair H80

11. IvanIvanovich

Yes, there is plenty of room in that case for gpu after slide out the 2x hdd cage at the bottom, which still leaves 4x 3.5 + 1 2.5 mount. It's a really nice case, designed well and has fairly good airflow which is hard to find in smaller cases. The only cases I like more in the mitx form are some abee and windy cases, which are much more expensive. The only real 'con' with the pcq-08 is the psu mount is over the cpu, which will limit cooler choices.

12. Bogomip

Bogomip ... Yo Momma

Bit Tech did an article on that (http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/cases/2010/07/20/lian-li-pc-q08-review/2) that said another con was the choice of PSU you were left with - it says standard modular ATX... is modular ATX and non-modular very different? The case does look decent for what I need though.

Im not too fussed about the CPU cooler as I wont be overclocking - standard will do me :)

Thanks for the suggestion lysol but that silverstone is a bit bigger than I was looking for - as small as I can possibly cram as much good hardware into is what I want :)

Last edited: 24 May 2012
  13. IvanIvanovich

For the PSU, any that is standard length will be fine. I have an Antec BP550 in mine for example. The reason for modular is you won't have all those extra cables, which might be hard to find a good place to bundle them up out of the way. It's pretty tight inside.

14. Bogomip

Bogomip ... Yo Momma

Ah ok, makes sense - thanks :)

Now just the motherboard and a graphics card then :)

So I really just know nothing about GFX cards anymore - I have read all the bits on toms hardware that compares them numerically, but not knowing what each bit means I still have no idea what is better :)

In terms of motherboards - mini-ITX obviously for the small case, something that supports SLI, 1155 socket and pref with USB3.0 is my requirements - I will spend a fair amount on a motherboard though...

edit: oh wait,t hat lian li is mini-ITX, which doesnt seem to support much in terms of motherboards :S

15. IvanIvanovich

There are several very nice z77, or H67 boards in mitx from Zotac, Asus, Asrock, etc. No chance of SLI with mitx, they only have 1 expansion slot. The pcq-08 can take flex atx, but I have never seen any that have 2x 16 slots, and then you would need a single slot gpu to use the other pci-e 1x or pci slot anyway, so that isn't much help either. I would go for a single better card in any case though so going that way it does not matter. If you can afford it the gtx670, else maybe the 560ti if need something less expensive.

16. Bogomip

Bogomip ... Yo Momma

Hmm, what about the Gigabyte GA-H61N-USB3? Up to 16gig memory, i3 processor support (which is what I think im going for), USB 3.0, not too pricey too. That could take a good/decent GFX card right? :)

Thanks for all the help btw :)

edit: Also, would the Gigabyte GT 440 OC 1GB DDR3 DVI VGA HDMI Out PCI-E absolutele trounce my current NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT? :)

17. IvanIvanovich

Yes, that board would be ok if you are fine with only 2 sata 3gbps ports. Almost anything will destroy an 8600 honestly. 440 is good in comparison to 8600, but it is a 2 gen old mid/low range card. I would look in used market, you might be able to pick up a 460, 480 or even something from 500 series for a good price that would serve you much better.

18. Bogomip

Bogomip ... Yo Momma

I use external hard drives for all data storage so two internal is fine. Inside I will get a 128GB SSD and a spinney 500GB I think. There is an external 3.0 too in case I ever want a second SSD and want to keep my 500GB :)

Thanks for the tip about 2nd hand, ill try the marketplace here I think. Just need to finalize my spec and check with people on here that it will all work, then I think ill wait until mid June to buy so I can spread it interest free over three months :)

edited for ridiculously bad grammar.

Last edited: 25 May 2012
  19. Bogomip

Bogomip ... Yo Momma

Ok then, so with advise taken and much looking at prices places - this is what I have decided upon. I would like comments and suggestions on how my choices will work with one another if people dont mind!

All I am looking for is that it should all fit together and form a pretty decent machine both for gaming and other.

Note I am not particularly interested in playing the very highest quality games at the very highest quality :)

Case - Lian Li PC-Q08B

Power Supply - Coolermaster RS-500-AMBA-D3 Silent Pro M 500W Modular (if it is still on offer when I buy)

Motherboard - Gigabyte GA-H61N-USB3

CPU - Best i3, i5 or i7 CPU I can find for under £100 (stock cooling)

Memory - Corsair 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1333MHz XMS3

Graphics - Something or other - Under £50 :) (edit: may go up to £70 as there seems to be a big speed increase between £50 and £70 cards... or 2nd hand as suggested)

HDD1 - 120GB/128GB SSD - Best Deal I can find on a well reviewed drive (with bracket)

HDD2 - WD 500GB Caviar Blue- 3.5" SATA-III - 7200RPM 16MB C

Optical - LiteOn IHOS104 4x BD-ROM SATA Blu-Ray Drive

Total cost ~ £550

Last edited: 27 May 2012
  20. MightyBenihana

MightyBenihana Do or do not, there is no try

Personally I prefer this case option, slightly bigger but gives more options

http://www.kustompcs.co.uk/acatalog/info_1590.html

scan did have it before but they only seem to have the red version atm which is always more expensive and I much prefer the black anyway.