1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Motors small car engine for airplane

Discussion in 'General' started by TJK, 31 Dec 2005.

1. TJK

TJK What's a Dremel?

I am looking to build a small 2seater airplane here in the states. I want to power it with a junkyard engine off a 2 or 3 cylinder car. Any suggestions on a very small engine? I was thinking a geo, but not sure. Any ideas?

2. RepLiKa

RepLiKa What's a Dremel?

Bike engine tbh

3. xen0morph

xen0morph Bargain wine connoisseur

car engines will be too heavy. i'd use a 2-stroke dirtbike engine.

and you don't get many 2 or 3 cylinder cars even over here :p

4. Lynx

Lynx What's a Dremel?

Very bad idea. Car engine is designed for "low" rpm tourque. Airplane engines are designed for very very high rpms. That and they will be too heavy.

My thinking is. Its an aeroplane. If your engine fails your in trouble therefore buy a decent aero engine. It might cost you more but better then ending up dead.

5. carbonfibre

carbonfibre What's a Dremel?

I do seem to remember seeing something years ago about using a VW beetle engine for small planes but not 100% sure, possible a good choice as air cooled.

6. slater

slater Mummy Says Im Special

Yeh ive seen VW engines used in small aircraft. They dont just take them out the junkyard tho!!!!

7. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

Agreed with what's been said so far. I'd say get a used Aero engine to make sure you don't get up in the big blue and then fall out of it. Other than that, good luck! Are you using a kit or simply building it from scratch...

8. TJK

TJK What's a Dremel?

simply building it from scratch - also trying to learn about aeronautics, engineering, CAD, and trying not to kill myself - thanks for the info on a low RPM engine.
    This may be a stupid question - is it possible to put some sort of transmission or gear ratio so that instead of a direct drive propeller its geared for higher rpms?

9. Freedom

Freedom Minimodder

err step away from the screw driver. i think this is teh wrong places to ask questions like that. you need to do some reading up a bit more i think

10. .308AR

.308AR What's a Dremel?

No transmission. They have adjustable prop pitch for that. A VW bug engine would work but NOT a junker. Air-cooled 2-stroke will be your best bet, though. More power per cc, higher rev, lighter, and simple.

There are three paramout features for ALL aircraft: 1. Light Weight. 2. Reliability. 3. Simplicity.

11. carbonfibre

carbonfibre What's a Dremel?

I think Rotax make small engines for micro lights etc it would be the safer option, more expensive but safer.

12. darkhunter

darkhunter What's a Dremel?

I am pretty sure suberau(spelling meh) makes engines for small airplanes or suitable engines for them, new I think your looking at 600-1500 don't quote me on that its from when I attepmted one of these a year ago, got it in the air but mom made me sell it. you will definately want either a new engine or close to it.

13. jaguarking11

jaguarking11 Peterbilt-strong

vw bug engines can be rebuilt to plane spec.

14. LAGMonkey

LAGMonkey Group 7 error

By anychance did you get this idea from that scrapheap (aka junkyard wars (US)) special that was aired a few years ago?
    They built planes out of scrap (junk) and all three flew! Granted other designs flew better than others. If i can find a link to a sight about it ill post it. Ive been looking for a torrent with no luck but it was such a good program and it would help you alot with this quest of yours.

EDIT:: well i found a small bit on it...
    http://www.allyourtv.com/moviesspecials/j/moviesspecialsjunkyardwarsflight.html
    just need to find some way of watching it again

Last edited: 4 Jan 2006
  15. webbyman

webbyman Hax.

yep a 2 stroke 125 motorbike engine, from a dirt bike is proberly best idea..
    it would be great :dremel:

16. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

True. IIRC the Lycoming engine used in many light planes (Cessna etc) was originally a modified beetle engine.

17. 0013

0013 What's a Dremel?

They do

http://users.pandora.be/gits/ea81.html
    this one is for sale :)

TJK, you got PM

(sorry for thread revival)

18. Colonel Sanders

Colonel Sanders Minimodder

Actually, I know a local around my hometown who said the engines from Geo's are actually quite popular to be put in small aircraft. I believe they are kinda large for your plans because they are 4 cylinder motors.

About the RPMs- my best freinds Dad started to build a bi-plane and he chose to use an Iowla 540cu inch engine. The motor only made about 200 or 300 horse power because he claimed the motor would only be running at relatively low RPMs of 2-3,000. I don't believe that you need a motor capable of RPMs higher than what a typical car motor can achieve.

Granted I know next to nothing about building planes (ie, if you follow my advice and your plane crashes, it's not my fault) but I think you should look into Geo motors a bit more, mainly because Geos are cheap throw-away cars (but the motors are supposed to be good for small planes).

L J

19. jaguarking11

jaguarking11 Peterbilt-strong

Actualy your correct. When they rebuild vw bug engines they rebuild for tourque rather than HP. They need tourque to spin a large prop insted of hp spining a small prop at very high rpm. The main problem of hafing a very high rpm prop is simple, the prop hits supersonic speed and could shater.

Im no expert either but I recall watching a ww2 documentary on the main problems with planes from that era.

20. [1N0V471V]

[1N0V471V] What's a Dremel?

So when's the date for your funeral?

Tags: