1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Motors Small car recomendations

Discussion in 'General' started by Hiren, 10 Sep 2012.

1. Ending Credits

Ending Credits Bunned

It's a long shot, but would you be interested in a Kei car like a Daihatsu Cuore?

Pros:
    Fun
    Unique
    Cheap (well within your budget)
    Economical
    Small and easy to park
    Cheap to insure

Cons:
    Generally quite old
    Not unreliable but not exactly pristine due to above point
    Can be hard to find people to work on them
    Rare
    Not a lot of boot space

Basically, if you're not afraid of getting your hands a bit dirty with repairs then they can be excellent cars.

Otherwise, the Toyota yaris is a pretty damn good little car.

2. Almightyrastus

Almightyrastus On the jazz.

Oo I forgot about the Yaris. We had a couple of the older shape SR models and they were awesome. 1.3 engine, LOADS of space inside and very good equipment levels. Get one with the TTE kit on it and they are very nice.

3. Hiren

Hiren mind control Moderator

Thanks for the recommendation. Will take a look at some of the models mentioned.

4. Landy_Ed

Landy_Ed Combat Novice

Mini Clubman!

(and if a large person in a mini hatch is comfortable, I must be massive, cause I hate sitting in the back of mine!)

5. MelanieUP

MelanieUP What's a Dremel?

I drive a mini, not sure if you could get one second hand in that price range? But they are great cars. I've also driven a 500, nice car!

6. vrrox

vrrox What's a Dremel?

+1 for the Clio! Ours is nearly 12 years old and still going strong - even after a trip up to the Scottish Highlands and back from Southern England ...on a more modern note I've heard great things about the new fiestas

7. GregTheRotter

GregTheRotter Minimodder

nice one on the thread revival u newb.

8. Hiren

I repeat, I'm not interested in getting a Clio.

Turns out the Fiesta I was looking at was a bit dodgy. I think Mini's are not going to have enough boot space for me (my neighbour has one).

Someone has recommended a Honda Jazz. Anyone own / drive one?

9. haggisathome

haggisathome What's a Dremel?

skoda fabia / octavia ? good cars by my standards , and i dont go out to many of them :)

10. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

What no Clio? Not a 1994 1.2 with bouncy suspension? ;)

11. Da_Rude_Baboon

Da_Rude_Baboon What the?

Really? The last post was only a few days ago.

My mum has a Jazz. It's roomy inside, reliable and she likes it but she is a pensioner and that is who it's aimed at.

12. Hiren

It had suspension? Boot held on with gaffer tape and a "seat belts" for decorative purposes only. No thanks! :D

13. Archtronics

Archtronics Minimodder

Twingo any good ?

Have you had a look a the honest John website.

14. Landy_Ed

Landy_Ed Combat Novice

Yes, they hit the market in 2001, no? yes, good residuals but I'm sure they started going at auction for < £3500 a couple of years ago. Clubman residuals not that great compared to hatch due to the marmite factor, but they are decent vehicles & a lot more practical than the hatch if you have more than one friend.

Re Jazz, they feel like they are made of tin & float about a lot. If you like driving, you'll hate the Jazz. M-I-L had one. Very practical on space, but quite a few electrical issues that stopped the vehicle altogether. Residuals are awful though, so should at least be a cheap used car buy, just expect it to have been owned & driven by a pensioner - very much an old person's car.

While I remember - VW Golf Plus again you need to not like driving, and like the Jazz they depreciate v quickly compared to their new price, but a 5 year old one can be had for between 4-5k and unlike the Jazz they are a very solid build (they just don't seem to like corners, you need to put a bit of effort into turning the wheel). Also very economical.

Last edited: 17 Sep 2012
  15. Lord_A

Lord_A Boom baby!

Audi A2?

Suprisingly big inside for such a small car, very economical (diesels will give you 65mpg+ on average, also only £30 a year VED) totally rust proof (all alu construction) and very well built!

There is also a very active community with loads of helpful members: http://www.a2oc.net/forum/forum.php

16. Hiren

Thanks for all the suggestions. Fiesta is still top of the list. Will check out A2s, also considering a 1 series.

Also again I'm not interested in getting a Mini.

17. Lord_A

Lord_A Boom baby!

What did you end up buying?

18. Hiren

Ooops just seen this. I (finally) bought a 2010 Ford Fiesta 1.4 Diesel. Not the coolest car but it's cheap to run (£20 road tax) and good mpg so far (averaging 57ish for short trips).