1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

TVs Small gaming TV

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by mauvecloud, 3 Nov 2009.

1. mauvecloud

mauvecloud New Member

I've been using a Gateway XHD3000 monitor for both my PC and my gaming consoles (Super Nintendo, Nintendo 64, GameCube, Playstation 2, Playstation 3, and XBox 360, most connected through a Pelican System Selector Pro). However, I was having trouble with the fishing mini-game in Persona 4 (on the Playstation 2), so I tried connecting the composite video cable to an old (1982 vintage) CRT I had nearby (I usually leave it connected to my father's Apple II plus, which still works), and with the XHD3000 still connected via component cables, the XHD3000 had a very noticeable delay compared to the CRT. I'd guesstimate it at almost half a second, which is considerably more than the 68ms the Wikipedia article claims as the upper limit. My 23inch Sceptre "Komodo" TV doesn't fare much better, and I haven't found a "game mode" for either. I think this may have also caused me problems with Eternal Sonata for the X360 and Final Fantasy X-2 for the PS2.
    I doubt this is caused by differences at the PS2 end between the composite and component output (it's one set of cables that outputs both composite and component video), so perhaps someone could recommend me a TV to buy soon for hooking up the game consoles.

My requirements:
    1. Available in the US
    2. Very low input lag
    3. 13-24 inches diagonal - can be LCD, CRT, Plasma, whatever (30-32 inches is okay if it has a native resolution of 2560x1600 or higher without too much lag)
    4. Composite and component (YPbPr) inputs
    5. Stereo RCA audio inputs

Optional (would be nice, but I'm willing to sacrifice them if necessary):
    1. Full HD 1080p (for the sake of the input lag, I'd even consider getting an SD-only (480i) TV)
    2. Can accept the low-res signal of a PS1 game run on my PS2 over the component cables (with some TVs/monitors I've had to switch to the composite video for PS1 games)
    3. Can accept the black-and-white signal from an Apple II plus's text mode
    4. HDMI input