1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Build Advice Small size, fast rig. build

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by C-Sniper, 13 May 2012.

1. C-Sniper

C-Sniper Stop Trolling this space Ądmins!

Hey all,

I am looking for a mini-atx build that wont break the bank (~$600USD). I need something that has the umph for doing MatLab computing and visual image tracking/processing, which are both cpu intensive, yet is still easy to carry to a lab for a demonstration.

I already have a graphics card, sound card, PSU, monitor and peripherals, so I need Case, CPU, Mobo, Memory, CPU cooler.

Here is what I have so far:

CPU: i5-3570k ($225)
    Mobo: Gigabyte Z68MA-D2H-B3 ($119)
    Mem: G-skill 8gb DDR3 1600 ($46)
    CPU Cooler: Corsair H70 ($75)

I am still trying to find a case that is small, provides decent airflow and is under 115.

What do you think of the set up and can you recommend a case?

Ta,

C-S

2. Dae314

Dae314 What's a Dremel?

I do have a couple comments that I'd like to get out.

1) You probably want a Z77 or H77 motherboard if you're going with ivy bridge. The newer chipset is made to handle that cpu (although if you're pressed on budget you can go Z68). look here

2) Do you really need an H70? Really? What are you trying to overclock this to?

I'll recommend you cases in a sec (I'll edit this post when I have them). Just wanted to get those comments out of the way first.

Few suggestions:

Fractal Design Arc Mini - Well reviewed, well liked case. It's a bit expensive, but it's within your budget.
    NZXT Vulcan - The main reason I looked at this thing is because of the handle on top. It'll be easier for you to move around with, but I really dislike the mesh, and reviews on this one weren't as good. It's also more noisy because of the mesh.
    APEX TX-381-C - Again, I looked at this because of the handle on top. This one is by far the cheapest thing in my list, but I'm not sure about the quality =/. I couldn't find any reputable reviews so I'm going almost entirely off customer reviews and pictures. Hopefully there's not a 'bad' reason why this case is so cheap...

Last edited: 13 May 2012
  3. C-Sniper

Well I can take a different cooler, my last CPU purchase had a TDP of 130W so I am not use to cool running CPUs. There will be no overclocking of this CPU

4. C-Sniper

Sorry to double post, but I am looking for something even smaller than the Fractal. Something along the lines of the Silverstone TJ08B-E

5. Mac_Trekkie

Mac_Trekkie Source Engine's #1 fan!

The TJ08 is a great case, what you can do is simply get a handle of some type from a hardware store (drawer handles look nice and can come in sleek black to match), and :dremel: it in there. About as simple a mod as you can get and will let you go for cases that don't have a handle. For even smaller computing, might I recommend mini-ITX and a Lian-Li case? I'd recommend a Silverstone SG05 for you, but it comes with a PSU, and you already have one.

6. Picarro

Picarro What's a Dremel?

A liquid cooler might actually be a good idea for when you are moving the computer around. It relieves the motherboard of the mounting stress from a tower cooler.

7. Dae314

Dae314 What's a Dremel?

If he's not overclocking it, then he doesn't need even a tower cooler. Something quiet and low profile would be fine I think. You can't get much smaller than the cases we've been talking about without sacrificing PSU compatibility. I also agree that the case you chose looks fine :).

8. MSHunter

MSHunter Minimodder

My PC is in that case :D its all good see my sig.

9. C-Sniper

So in this case do you think that the stock cooler would be enough or should I still look into a more performance oriented one?

10. Mac_Trekkie

Stock cooler will be fine, as long as you cable route halfway decently. If you don't, it'll climb up to 80*c under load which is perfectly acceptable, anyways.

11. mars-bar-man

mars-bar-man Side bewb.

Gonna throw this out there for the case, but FT-03? It's awesome! I was shocked at the build quality, it's brilliant!

12. Mac_Trekkie

FT-03 is awesome, but the TJ08-e outshines it in most ways, except footprint. It's much more practical, better cooling, and easier to build it. Also uses normal optical drives, saves a few bucks.

13. Sheiken

Sheiken Wat?

And the PS07 is cheaper and, imo, better looking than both of them, while offering superior cooling performance :)

14. Mac_Trekkie

I saw that in Newegg while looking at the TJ08, I would have recommended it, but it has a door and draws in air from teeny tiny vents on the sides of said door when it is closed, something I hate. That's why I recommend the SG05 over the 06 all the time. If you don't mind the door thing, then the PS07 is a fine choice.

15. KidMod-Southpaw

KidMod-Southpaw Super Spamming Saiyan

I bought the PS07 on Saturday, and it was a joy to be build in. I've actually never been happier with a case, and at ~£58, it's worth it!

16. Sheiken

Sheiken Wat?

Actually they are not teeny tiny, they let in quite a lot of air and the fans are great, very silent yet very effective!

Best case I have ever had.

17. C-Sniper

How does the PS07 feel in terms of build quality? I noticed a lot of plastic on it.

Anyone know anything about the Lian-Li PC-V354B? Newegg has one on sale for 109 + free shipping.

18. Sheiken

Sheiken Wat?

It feels very well built! Yes the front fascia is plastic, but it is very angular which makes it feel very strong, and the plastic is of great quality.

Can't recommend it enough and cooling performance is great :)