1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Storage SMART Error - spin up time

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by Bumfluff101, 5 Jun 2012.

1. Bumfluff101

Bumfluff101 Minimodder

My Synology diskstation has just flagged up an error with one of my drives, a Samsung 2TB HD204UI

[​IMG]

How serious a problem do you think this is, if at all?

2. thehippoz

thehippoz What's a Dremel?

yeah got 1 samsung that has a problem spinning up, but after it's fine.. it's the 1tb UJ.. have a couple of 1tb SJ (older models) and they're fine

ended up getting a 2tb seagate barricuda.. haven't seen any spin up issues- I dunno about samsung anymore.. their newer drives run hotter seems..

3. Matticus

Matticus ...

Had the same thing with the same drive in a Synology.

It is pretty much a confirmed bug judging by their forums, it is usually the drive in the second slot (or higher for larger Synologys) and due to this the theory goes that not enough power is available for the second drive. You will notice that the spin ups are offset from one another to prevent this. I assume the first drive is still pulling a lot of power as the second starts.

Being that it is "in the past" it just means the drive failed to spin up within a reasonable time, but doesn't necessarily mean the drive has any issues. As you know why the drive shows this error and that it is a pretty common bug you can safely use the drive without worry.

Last edited: 5 Jun 2012
    Bumfluff101 likes this.
  4. Bumfluff101

Bumfluff101 Minimodder

Thanks for this, it is the 2nd drive (out of 4) which has the problem. I did try and search the synology forums but their search function is a bit crappy! +rep