1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Portable Smashed iPhone 4s screen, what to do next?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by rowin4kicks, 21 Aug 2012.

1. yodasarmpit

yodasarmpit Modder

A work colleague took his to the Apple store yesterday, and they repaired it free of charge even though it was accidental damage and not bought direct from Apple.

It was still under first year of warranty though.

2. Elton

Elton Officially a Whisky Nerd

Seeing as they want cash. Just fix it yourself, sod their warranty if they're charging you despite it being under warranty.

That said, get one of those ice cube trays and order screws according to order (it's what I do! :D) and buy some decent tools, the ebay tools are good for at most two repairs and then they're done. Trust me, good tools go a looooong way.

3. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

Good idea about the ice cube tray - I had one for that purpose not too long ago, but it was repurposed for engine valves when I noticed it was 2x8... :D

4. rowin4kicks

rowin4kicks a man walked into a bar ...

Just been quoted £139 to replace the whole phone by apple, tried my best to find a way around the charges but the manager wouldn't budge.
    the replacement screen should be here by tomorrow anyway. I will just fit that and whack the phone on eBay.

5. Fantus

Fantus Nothing to see here...

If you've got a CEX near you, they'll give £120 cash for iPhone 4's which are broken/don't work. That's what my wife did after she decided to wash the phone in the sink :grr:
    £120 is more than we would have gotten on eBay for it.

6. jeckulz

jeckulz What's a Dremel?

Cut your losses.
    Get an S3

7. Margo Baggins

Margo Baggins I'm good at Soldering Super Moderator

not really a solution :p - i've sunk too many ££ into the app store on apple. (plus my work phone is android, best of both worlds)

8. rowin4kicks

rowin4kicks a man walked into a bar ...

I always liked the idea behind android phones, they just lack the polish apple has. Plus I'm far too lazy to start messing about with it just to get the phone working.