1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Smoking ban in all pubs and clubs

Discussion in 'Serious' started by The cheapskate, 14 Feb 2006.

1. ajack

ajack rox

I don't mind people smoking tbh, it's just when my clothes have to be washed constantly, even from being in a pub for a few minutes that really gets me.

2. TMM

TMM Modder

Smoking has been banned in all restaurants here in Oz for a few years now. Im all for it. If someone wants to smoke, they should go outside, i don't want to be enhaling their smoke.

3. chemo

chemo True Jungle Brother

i agree with the non smoking in a restaurant as its filthy to smoke around people who are eating. people will still continue to smoke in clubs and bars though i reckon. heck, theres alot worse available in most clubs than a quick ciggie in the toilets.

4. cderalow

cderalow bondage master!

seems you brits finally took a cue from us more civilized northern americans and did something intelligent (this is old news to people in New York, Boston, any part of California, and many other places in the states...)

5. Awoken

Awoken Gazing at the stars

Smoking never bothered me much as most of my friends at uni smoked like chimney stacks. However, I can't bring myself to kiss someone who smokes as they reek - I have tried it but it just killed the relationship. I do favour the ban though as I have to wash my clothes after a night out at the pub - stale smoke is a sickening smell to a non-smoker - it means probably washing something which I've worn for 6 hours which is just daft.

6. CarlT2001

CarlT2001 New Member

If that is the case, maybe the government will recoup some from the £2.7 billion that smokers cost the NHS every year?

7. FredsFriend

FredsFriend New Member

Smoking isn't free speach. You agree with the removal of peoples rights when they break into your house. Why not when they try to erode your health?

If they are pverpriced in the first place why do you use them? And the ban isn't stopping people from buying fags, it's from people forcing other people to "enjoy" them. As i said before what is to stop

I am willing to bet that the main source of income for garages isn't Fags
    Why? They are produced where it is cheapest to, not where there is a high concentration of smokers.

Everywhere that this has been done so far it's been fine. Just look at Ireland.

8. Fatboy

Fatboy Bored

Smoking is a privelege not a right.

I should be able to go out to a public place without smelling of crap becasue you decide to give yourselves cancer

:sigh:

9. atanum141

atanum141 I fapped to your post!

this is a good and bad thing, i do smoke but i consider myself a conserite smoker. no smoking with many non smokers, not smoking at a resturant when its mainly non-smoking. and deffo no smoking at the bar or infront of small children. other than that i pretty ,uch smoke in corners or out doors.

10. dom_

dom_ --->

You really havnt looked at any countries where smoking has been banned in public have you?
    I suggest you read up on ireland (for example) or go there.
    Some people expressed the same feelings as you. But it didn't happen.

11. FredsFriend

FredsFriend New Member

If all smokers were like you then this ban wouldn't be needed, the problem is that most smokers aren't. Most smokers smoke whenever they want and how dare you ask them not to. I'm all for people smoking if they want to, i just don't want them to force me to smoke too

12. Emzay

Emzay "He's doing a poo!"

Me and my friends jumped up and down when we saw this on the papers in the supermarket today. It is the best news I've heard all week.

13. WireFrame

WireFrame <b>PermaBanned</b>

I see a lot of people complaining about how their right to smoke in public is being taken away. What about my right to NOT smoke in public? I see that was taken away long ago by thousands of inconsiderate smokers who blow smoke all over the place and make it unavoidable for me to go anywhere without inhaling their smoke.

"Well, go somewhere else, away from the smoke then, Wireframe"

Well, touche but no. It is you who will have to go somewhere else now....

Um....and Monkey200SX ...you're a smoker, right? smoking a while? You know cigarettes starts with a "C", right....?

Last edited: 15 Feb 2006
  14. specofdust

specofdust Banned

Well y'see, the thing is, you have the choice to enter a pub. Your arguement isn't reasonable in the slightest, you have free will for goodness sake, if your body is that important to you WTF are you doing in a pub in the first place?

If smoking were really as unpopular as its made out to be, there would be lots of non-smoking pubs. But there aren't are there? There are a few sure, but not lots who did it by choice. The simple fact is the majority of people would rather have a pint then avoid some smoke for an hour.

This is simply the case of a government doing something because it feels like it, and those who feel it'll benefit them, instead of thinking about the implications upon our freedom are instead just saying "woohoo, no more smokey clothes".

How many times has this been done? Smoking puts 9 times what it takes out into the economy.

So is drinking, so is playing on a computer(inactivity is bad for you), so are tonnes of things people choose to do. Smoking can be an enjoyable activity, its not, for many people, but thats their pathetic inability, not mine.

I mean jesus, when did everyone in this world become so majorily and totaly concerned about the least little thing that might harm them?

I don't know the figures for the UK, but in the US passive smoking kills about 3000 people per year, drink driving resulted in deaths in the same year of 20,000 people(this is about 10 years ago, newer accepted facts were hard to find). If thats not calling bull**** on the idea that smoking is more harmfull to people who dont take part then drinking is to people who dont take part, I don't know what is. So there it is, ban drinking and you save more lives, have no more obnoxious drunk people, and I'm sure there are a whole raft of other injuries and deaths related to alcohol fueled violence.I say, lets ban Alcohol!

I've been in resteraunts and bars that have proved that not to be the case, granted they were all in europe, but believe it or not, proper ventilation along with a semi-decently designed building can easily result in people in a non-smoking area seeing and smelling no smoking and smoke. I'd be happy with legislation to force this.

Again to look to the US, but a run around central park in NYC results in the equivelent of 3 packs of cigrettes of fumes going into your lungs.

So quit, if it bothers you that much quit, but it obviously doesn't, so put up with it, the answer to a dislike of something isn't to ban it ffs.

Civilised? Smoking ban? Hah!

So enact a law to deal with that, make it obligatory for smokers to have to go outside if a bar person recieves X number of complaints about the smell of smoking, or whatever, a full ban is a completely over the top answer to a problem that barely existed untill the media stirred this all up.

Overall people, stop saying that you have a right to go out and not be effected, you don't, no-one ever granted you that right. If you want that to be the case, leave society. When you go out, people are going to look at you, people are going to smoke near you, once in a while people might decide to mug you, people do all sorsta things, they're actually quite likely to run you over while drunk. You just gotta accept that you do not have the right to live in a society where no-one ever impinges on you in the slightest, its not the case, and it will never be the case, and its not possible so long as people are living within 100 miles of each other.

edit: Should add, I'm a non-smoker.

Last edited: 15 Feb 2006
  15. Atomic

Atomic Gerwaff

Not for that much longer tho :p :hehe:

16. whisperwolf

whisperwolf New Member

Well the scottish ban kicks in in March this year. I can't help but think it's slightly hypocritical of the goverment to ban smoking in all public places but to not think about banning smoking fullstop if this is a health issue. Of course the reason that won't happen is as specodust said smokers contribute nearly 9 times the amount they cost the NHS. even ASH agree to these figures though they use a nice £8,093 million gained in tax (excluding VAT) and £1.5 billion cost to try to hide (instead of saying £8 billion for instance). with this kinda cash coming in people can kill themselves with cigs as much as they want.
    However I would like to see a ban in restaurants and I would personaly have liked to see a few no-smoking pubs open in Edinburgh before the ban had come in force, but to ban smokers alienates a large percentage of your customers and is therefore not a suitable business plan. Even if its one person in a group of ten, chances are the group will go to a different pub rather than have the one member run outside for a quick smoke every 20 mins.
    One problem with this argument about smoking bans is that on one side we have health freaks who distort figures to make smoking look worse than it is (see ash's differing units on money in and money out), and on the other side you have to put it bluntly smoking addicts who will do anything to allow themselves to carry on their addiction. neither side will ever agree with the other. In most cases they will rarely even speak to the other side.

17. lcdguy

lcdguy Active Member

they did something similar to this where i live. There is no smoking in restaurants, pubs / bars or within so many feet of the main entrance. If you decide to smoke in something like that and get nailed for it. not only are you fined but the establishment is also fined fro allowing it to happen. personally i can't stand smoke. I don't like the smell, and it just pollutes the air. Not to mention my Bro has asthma so it really doesn't help him very much when people smoke :).

I am all for banning smoking.

18. eek

eek CAMRA ***.

Again, bad example... it isn't the alcohol itself that kills people it is drinking & driving. To sort this out what do we do, do we force an outright ban on drinking? No, we just make drinking and driving against the law.

Now on to smoking... Smoking around others seriously damages their health... To sort this out do we have an outright ban on smoking? Again, no, but we do make it illegal in some of the smokiest places where people have to work.

Seems fair to me.

19. Alwayz Dead

Alwayz Dead New Member

I have smoked for years and admit to being a real nicotine junkie but I could not agree more with those of you that say "why the hell should I have to inhale your smoke" I hate people smoking when I'm eating and do not smoke when I have non smoking guests, hell its the correct thing to do.

I worry though as this legislation comes in how easy it will be to accept more and more of the same until basic rights become infringed but then maybe I'm paranoid.

As for the lost tax revenue, slap it on booze. I find it as sad as a smoking that most of the population fail to be able to unwind and or have a good time without having a few drinks.

20. kiljoi

kiljoi I *am* a computer king.

Drunk driving IS against the law. See how effective it's been?