1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Smoking Bans

Discussion in 'General' started by GreatOldOne, 10 Nov 2004.

?

Do you support a ban on smoking in public places?

1. I smoke, and do not support a ban

19 vote(s)
    10.1%
  2. I smoke, and do support a ban

20 vote(s)
    10.6%
  3. I do not smoke, and support a ban

125 vote(s)
    66.1%
  4. I do not smoke, and do not support a ban

25 vote(s)
    13.2%
  1. Tek Heathen

Tek Heathen What's a Dremel?

Dad;
    Almost 12 months of the ban here in Ireland and pubs are loosing business, especially in rural areas, town pubs have a quicker turnaround as ppl nip out for a *** on the way to the next bar.
    It's been odd tbh but by 'n' large the ban has been successful, less than 20 reported smoking offences.
    A word of warning to all smoke haters, don't go out the night before the ban starts! I did and it was aha enlightening. ppl chain smoked til the venting couldn't cope. you couldn't see your hand in front of your face for smoke.

2. dgb

dgb What's a Dremel?

Looking at the poll, I find it hard to say that it's a nanny-state, or anything else when the votes are 103 in favour of the ban to 22...

That's not a nany-state. That's democracy.

3. Uncle Psychosis

Uncle Psychosis Classically Trained

Yeah, but c'mon dude. You can't let reasoning get in the way of a good whinge from smokers. After all, they have a "right" to fill everyone else's lungs with carcinogens... :wallbash:

Sam

4. JADS

JADS Et arma et verba vulnerant

Talking of smoking bans, JD Wetherspoons have announced that by May this year 60 of their pubs will be entirely non-smoking with the rest to follow by May 2006.

JD Wetherspoons Announces Smoking Ban!

I'm tempted to write to them and thank them for taking the right step, which will no doubt be a difficult transistion. I hope that all chains, and eventually all pubs and all public places will follow their example.

5. Barry

Barry What's a Dremel?

I smoke and have to say and banning in public places should have been put in place years ago

6. webbyman

webbyman Hax.

:jawdrop: thats alot of people who dont smoke and are for 'banning smoking in public places' ... and im one of them :thumb:

7. DaHoboFest

DaHoboFest Banned

I say ban smoking in america as well, my aunt smokes, its annoying because her breathe, and her need to leave every 20 minutes for a cigarette, oh eyah, and her shortened lifespan

8. Bogomip

Bogomip ... Yo Momma

the sooner this happens the better - i hate it when people come into lectures late cause they have been smoking, then sitin front of me and im then all like "omg, you stink" - that pisses me off.

9. corvette

corvette What's a Dremel?

ok this is wat i call STUPIDITY ok

watching the news a couple days back and seeing that work places in america have basicly told employees to quit or be sacked

i mean how far is it going to go now u need to quit smokeing to keep your job
    quit smokeing to enjoy a night out to the pub with ur mates

a pub / resteraunt here the manager got on the news and said that 90% of his biss are smokers now the government is placeing smokeing bans he has lost morjority of his regulars because of such bans

uno whats gonna happen to ur local pub it aint gonna exsist

resteraunts and places such as i can understand but comon how far is it gonna go

EDIT : watching a grouse show b4 called Pen and tellers Bull **** they had a thing on about second hand smoke mabe all those ppl who say ban ban ban should watch it

10. Uncle Psychosis

Sorry?

Sam

11. dgb

dgb What's a Dremel?

Actually, all evidence indicates that smoking bans increase numbers at pubs. It has also been mentioned a number of times in this thread, but don't let that stop you bringing it up :rolleyes: .

12. JavaBoy

JavaBoy What's a Dremel?

ban it! stop ****ing up my atmosphere

i also hate it when im near ppl and there smokeing cause it smells like ****

13. jezmck

jezmck Minimodder

smoking in front of kids (include your own) should be treated as child abuse.

14. Tulatin

Tulatin The Froggy Poster

while we're at it, why dont we make drinking in front of them child abuse too? Oh, and swearing, coughing, sneezing, farting.... :rolleyes: That just seems over the top jazzle... IMHO tho.

15. Meanmotion

Meanmotion bleh Moderator

I find the whole anti-smoking/pro-smoking thing quite funny. I smoke socially, and just generally when I feel like it, but I'm not much of an addict - I just enjoy it sometimes. I would never smoke in a restaurant or similar public place, however I do like to smoke whilst drinking (in fact almost exclusively whilst drinking) and would be quite miffed to see the grotty, stinking, atmosphere of an old pub become all clean and sanitised. That's all part of the fun, just like horrible kebabs after a night out. When it comes down to it, pubs should be able to choose whether to allow smoking, and that should be it.

To be honest, there's very little I can say that would sway anyone that smoking shouldn't be banned. It's just that it annoys me the doggedness with which some people pursue the point - if you're going out drinking in anything less than a very nice establishment then you're going to end up smelly and sweaty anyway so don't just pick out the smokers as the only reason you need to do some washing at the weekend! - just as it annoys me when some people smoke without the slightest regard for anyone else.

Aaargh, I'm waffling.

Yes, enforce a no smoking policy where food is served or where children are allowed.

No, don't ban outright. I like my smoky sweaty local and I like smoky atmospheric rock clubs.

I'm done.

:yawn:

Now go check out my band and our smoky sweaty ways... :rock: :thumb:

16. Uncle Psychosis

Err...no. I went on a night out last week to a non-smoking pub and when I woke up the next morning not only did my hair not stink but my clothes didn't smell either. If I go out to somewhere where people smoke then normally the next day I can still smell smoke on my hair and the clothes I had on stink. I would suggest that the reason you don't notice it is because you smoke yourself!

Ooh, that'll be 99% of smokers then? I honestly can't remember ANY smoker ever asking me if they minded them lighting up, apart from in restaurants. Even then, they only ask the people at their table- they didn't ask the people at the next table (who will be affected just as much!) . For some reason smokers just assume I won't mind them smoking just because we're in a pub!

Lets put it this way: imagine I had a little cannister of gas that not only smelled awful but was incredibly bad for you---but I enjoyed spraying this gas whenever I was out drinking. Would it be acceptable for me to just spray this gas over everyone else in the pub? No, I didn't think so. Now, replace the cannister with a cigarette and the point would still hold.

Smoking kills and it smells awful. I cannot wait till the ban...

Sam

17. m4rk3d

m4rk3d Minimodder

Well, I'm a smoker, and I do support the ban.

Smoking is MY choice. I have decided, for reasons known only to my addiction riddled id, to kill myself in slow and painful ways. It is not my right to inflict this long-suffering death on others.

Yeah, sure, it's a hassle going outside to light up, but hey, maybe this'll make some of us idiots give up. Maybe (hopefully) it will be the much needed shove I need to stop this disgusting habit that I'm partaking in right now. Why? Because I need it....I don't want it (who wants to burn £40 a week?), it doesn't make me feel good, it doesn't do anything for me other than appease those craving demons.

So, yeah, ban it, because I need help quitting, and if this is what it takes, bring it on.

18. Uncle Psychosis

Precisely! What would be interesting would be to see statistics of how many people *started* smoking in pubs. I know they would be impossible to compile, but I am willing to bet that a LOT of people start when they are out and have had a few drinks... Hopefully 5 to10 or 15 years after a ban came into place we would have a lot less smokers, due to less people starting in the first place?

Sam

19. Arthur2Sheds

Arthur2Sheds Jackson

Yeah, because that's an accurate comparison! When you can show that secondhand smoke has the same effect on a child's body as a swear word, you'll have a point.

20. m4rk3d

m4rk3d Minimodder

I hate to break it to you, but most of us started well before we could even get into pubs. I, and most of the smokers I know, started at school, when it was a badge of acceptance. I started when I was 12, because some friends did it and they were cool.

Since then, 1 has died of a heart attack (in his 20's). How cool do we all feel now?