1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Smoking Bans

Discussion in 'General' started by GreatOldOne, 10 Nov 2004.

?

Do you support a ban on smoking in public places?

1. I smoke, and do not support a ban

19 vote(s)
    10.1%
  2. I smoke, and do support a ban

20 vote(s)
    10.6%
  3. I do not smoke, and support a ban

125 vote(s)
    66.1%
  4. I do not smoke, and do not support a ban

25 vote(s)
    13.2%
  1. Uncle Psychosis

Uncle Psychosis Classically Trained

Fair enough. But if people can't smoke in pubs, then hopefully people will realise that smoking really isn't cool...Anyway, even if only one person doesn't start smoking because of a ban, then that'd still be a good thing!

Sorry dude. We need to teach people that smoking really isn't big or clever. Sadly, a lot of the time it takes a tragedy for people to start thinking.

Cheers

Sam

2. purepope

purepope Banned

in a month and a bit u cant smoke at the beach, which is good coz it the smell of smoke is anoying and all the a sheit :clap:

3. dgb

dgb What's a Dremel?

But not with cancer...

4. greshoff

greshoff Minimodder

Yes, as an ex smoker I support the ban on smoking in public places

5. ouija

ouija Trust me, I am doctor!

Outside is just as bad. I can't stand walking down the street behind someone blowing smoke all over the place. The shopping centre where I live has banned smoking for a few months now and people stand at the door and finish their cigarettes. It's disgusting walking through their cancer fumes.

6. Meanmotion

Meanmotion bleh Moderator

Tell you what they should do. Legalise cannabis (and all drugs, for that matter) but ban any form of 'drug taking' in public places. Except for drug bars, like they have in holland. That'd be awesome.

Perfect! :thumb:

By the way, I just noticed the smily ':too cool:' which is smoking!!!! It appears that 'cool' is not how the general bit-tech public would describe it...

7. corvette

corvette What's a Dremel?

Not in NZ it has increased ppl at bars the decrease has sent alot of them out of biz

same near where i live

so you can listen to ur BS statistics all u want go around and ask the ppl who own the bars ur self

EDIT: on a different note Being overweight is 2nd to smoke realiated deaths

so LETS BAN fat ppl from eating pizza and fatty foods in a public place hell why not just close all fast food resturants as well seen as the food that most of those places sell is full of fat

8. dgb

dgb What's a Dremel?

Here we go again :rolleyes:. They key difference is being overweight kills ONE person, yourself. Nobody gives a rats if you want to kill yourself. Smoking kills MANY people, most who do not want you to be smoking/them to be getting killed. Hence people want it banned. :wallbash: :wallbash: :wallbash:

9. fathazza

fathazza Freed on Probation

speaking as a fat person i know i kill people in africa everyday by eating all their food. i know i shouldn't do it but i just cant help myself :waah: :waah: :waah:

10. corvette

hey DGB if u can give me a 100% prooved case where second hand smoke has killed some 1 i will give up smokeing and loose weight

11. rarich

rarich What's a Dremel?

I do not smoke, I do not care if you smoke as long as your smoke doesn't affect me. I have no problem with smoking outside, or in a big enough room, but if I have to breathe your smoke, there is a problem. I think of it as a courtesy type thing, not a legal or health issue.

12. dgb

dgb What's a Dremel?

Are you seriously trying to deny the health risks of second hand smoke. If so, I can't be bothered arguing with you, you're a fanatic, you'll never give up your point.

13. corvette

unless u proove me wrong

14. Kameleon

Kameleon is watching you...

http://www.ash.org.uk/html/factsheets/html/fact08.html

How's that? Good enough?

All the references are at the bottom, so you can read the full medical papers if you really want to. Though I rather think that you don't want to hear it, no? :)

15. Piratetaco

Piratetaco is always right

16. WireFrame

WireFrame <b>PermaBanned</b>

You gonna give u and lose weight now? I bet the answer is No. How about some before and after pics? "Before I was p0wned" and "After I was p0wned"?

I always thouht "cool" icons, esp the bit-tech one, were smoking clove cigarettes(which i don't think contain nicotine...?). Like artists and wayward musicians do. Stinkeh.

17. Henchman:crg

Henchman:crg What's a Dremel?

Corvette is actually correct about saying that there is no evidence that second hand smoke has actually killed someone. Most of the research is actually inconclusive, and many of the more recent reports came from the original evidence.

The BBC did report on a new survey that has proven a link between second hand smoke and cancer (I saw this on the news in the last week), but I'm damned if I can find the story on the BBC web site.

EDIT:
    by the way I do not smoke, I do not go out to pubs because the smoke stings my eyes, and I will be very happy the day I actually read some real evidence that proves what I suspect is a time bomb waiting to be discovered.
    I generally think that if you smoke, are making peoples lives unhappy, but continue to smoke, does it really matter if second hand smoke causes cancer, nobody really likes smelling of smoke, finding themselves constrained on where they can go because of it, and anyone addicted to smoking will always find some excuse why it's okay anyway.
    Just have to listen to my dad coughing his lungs out while he is still trying to convince me he enjoys smoking (but really trying to convince himself).

Last edited: 20 Feb 2005
  18. corvette

thank you thank you

Dude i was told ages ago do not open ur mouth unless u no what you are talking about

3 things are evident in this thread

1, DGB ur so up tight and dont want to hear what other people say

2, if im smoking and some 1 asks me not to smoke around them i dont

3, and im well aware of smokeing and being overweight is lowering my total life span but uno what MY LIFE MY LUNGS MY FAT GLANDS like i said u proove to me that my smokeing is killing other people i shall give up

Edit : i should add i did read that site and i must say that the majourity of ppl who die from heart deiseise ( NON SMOKERS ) is caused by Genitics why do u think doctors ask u do u have previous imedient family problems not
    "ohh and where u exsposed to second hand smoke as a child or at the pub with ur mates"

when u PROOVE to me with 100% no doubt that a single persons death was caused by second hand smoke i will give up

Last edited: 22 Feb 2005
  19. Henchman:crg

Henchman:crg What's a Dremel?

Lets be honest here Corvette, how often does someone ask you not to smoke?
    The reality is most people who do not like being around smoke, will either move somewhere else, or not go to those places in the first place.

Not smoking of course, it may happen that someone asks you.
    I have seen people ask in the past, but the smoker has always replied by telling them to sit somewehere else.

20. corvette

True but if some 1 asks me i will move or butt out i do it all the time