1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Smoking voids Apple warranties

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 23 Nov 2009.

1. cybergenics

cybergenics What's a Dremel?

Yeah and nicotine isn't particularly toxic or poisonous anyway. Its tar and other crap in the smokes that harms you. Some studies tried to show it increased the risk of blood clots by increasing plasminogen activator inhibitor-1 but they are not conclusive.

2. cybergenics

cybergenics What's a Dremel?

Smoking residue probably makes fans and things sticky so they dust gathers on them too.

3. PureSilver

PureSilver E-tailer Tailor

I hate to nit-pick (ah, who'm I kidding, I f***ing love nitpicking) but nicotine is actually one of the most lethal chemicals you're likely to encounter on a day-to-day basis. I think the LD50 is around 50mg, so anywhere between 50-60mg could kill an adult human.

Obviously yes, it's the carcinogens, not the nicotine, in the smoke that kill smokers (you could not smoke cigarettes fast enough to contract nicotine poisoning, though you could OD on patches), and nicotine is not yet recognised as a carcinogen (having no mutagenic properties).

4. leslie

leslie Just me!

Which is exactly what happens.

I recently worked on a computer that had 2mm to 6mm of oily, stinky, gunk coating any surface that generated heat or moved. You could smell the computer from more than 2 meters away.

It was disgusting!
    I did as little as I could inside, padded the bill a bit, and got it out of the shop as soon as possible.

5. TimB

TimB What's a Dremel?

The real sticking point (no pun intended) for Apple if they get sued will be their past policy or any inconsistent policy they have now. Have they repaired smoke-filled computers in the past under the same Warranty Terms, or are they still repairing some smoker-filled computers now while refusing others?

If they are doing either, then they need to update the warranty terms to specifically mention smoking voiding the warranty now, since it didnt in the past under the same terms.

6. Star*Dagger

Star*Dagger What's a Dremel?

If your computer stinks from smoking around it and has sticky innards you should NOT get service. Some poor sod will have to clean that mess, go work out, quit smoking and lead a healthier life.

7. Blarte

Blarte Moderate Modder

so sick of lazy people making excuses NOT to do a job they are paid for and large companies using health and safety as a easy get out clause.

As for you above .... fiddling a bill and not doing your job thoroughly, you should be ashamed.

8. RichCreedy

RichCreedy Hey What Who

Blarte, you have obviously never seen inside a smokers computer, they are extremely dirty, smelly, and quite frankly you need a hazchem suit to work on them.

maybe the mag could get access to some details about the composition of the tar in smokers machines, maybe get a heavy smokers machine and have the gunk inside tested.

9. specofdust

specofdust Banned

Dude, man the **** up. You need a "hazchem" suit because there's some smelly gunk in the computer? Christ. There are men in India who manually unblock sewers with their arms and legs for a pittance - now those guys need hazmat suits. You need balls.

10. AshT

AshT Custom User Title

Yo internet hardman, you need to leave school before you use so many asterisks.

Rich was exaggerating, obviously, and you failed to see his point.

ex⋅ag⋅ger⋅ate
    –verb (used with object)
    1. to magnify beyond the limits of truth; overstate; represent disproportionately: to exaggerate the difficulties of a situation.

RichCreedy likes this.
  11. specofdust

specofdust Banned

specofdust would like to thank you for your correspondence and assures you that any comments or feedback will be taken on board and incorporated into future decisions on publications.

M7ck likes this.
  12. RichCreedy

RichCreedy Hey What Who

Lol, yes I was exaggerating, but these machnes are horrible. And its not just nicotene, there is arsenic, hydrogen cyanide, to name but a few of the nasties in the brown sticky gunk.

13. leslie

leslie Just me!

I didn't fiddle with the bill, it was a legitimate bill, and yes I fixed the machine.

I am/was NOT being paid to clean it, I do that as a bonus. Not only that, but no amount of air blown through there is going to clean out the PSU. Take your computer to a shop and see if they blow it out for a software issue. The only way to properly clean this machine was to tear EVERYTHING apart, as in heatsink, psu cover, DVD housing and all. It had permeated everything. I'm not spending 3 hours pulling apart and cleaning every square mm of a computer for nothing. Especially if they are only going to take it and repeat the same thing again. I only opened it to pull the drive to image it easier before I started.

While you may think it was wrong, you seriously have no idea how bad it really was. I have smelled old ladies with way too much perfume who gave off less scent than this did. I have only seen machines like this on internet tech horror stories.

My customers always get their money worth even if I pad a bill a bit.

14. Teelzebub

Teelzebub Up yours GOD,Whats best served cold

I can only say 3 things
    1 I'm glad I dont smoke
    2 I'm glad I dont buy Apple
    3 I'm glad I repair and clean all my computers myself

Tags: Add Tags