1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Networks Smoothwall on 486?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by GreatOldOne, 23 Apr 2002.

1. GreatOldOne

GreatOldOne Wannabe Martian

Guys - I've got an old 486, with 24mb of ram and 2 400mb HDD's. will this cope as a smoothwall box?

I'm toying with the Idea of turning the current smoothie box into a webserver, and making the 486 into the smoothwall.

I'll have two machines hanging on the network (see my network here - you'll have to scroll about half way down the page).

Will it work / cope? And if it does, any recommendations on webserver software (linux based).

Ta,

GOO

2. relix

relix Minimodder

what about this 386 I have laying around here? (damn, I should sell it for $1 million as an antique PC)

3. GreatOldOne

GreatOldOne Wannabe Martian

The smoothwall FAQ says it'll run on a 386, but a machine with more oomph maybe required depending on network size / internet connection method (more MHz per Mbit, I guess)

4. relix

relix Minimodder

yeah, guessed so, I better just burn this 386... lol, no way! I'm gonna integrate it in my upcoming "pyramide case" ... muhahaha

5. felix the cat

felix the cat Spaceman Spiff

to put it this way im runnin mine for the moment on a p133 with 96mb ram and a 1gig hdd....on 100mbit network

it does run smoothly but does get a bit laggy when the cable line is maxed out, ie. downloads or games...

Tags: