1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Small Form Factor SN45GV2 setup advice needed

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by scotty6435, 2 Dec 2004.

1. scotty6435

scotty6435 What's a Dremel?

Hello lovely modders,

I've just got my grubbly little hands on one of these shuttles and I need some guidance on what to equip it with. I'm going to be using it primarily for HTPC use and some gaming (Up to HL2 and CS:S levels).

I'm torn between the 3.2GHz and 2.8GHz athlon XPs but there's also the semprons. I could use PC3200 RAM on the 3.2 but it costs more. Which do you recommend?

Will buy 1GB of dual channel DDR in two sticks but shall I go for value RAM or some good stuff? Might try a little overclocking but nothing drastic due to space and heat constraints.

The MAJOR problem is the graphics card and TV tuner. I'd really like to have a dual tuner PVR sytem (one will have to be on graphics card) but I've heard that it's hard to get them to play ball. Any suggestions on a nice combination?

Also looking at a spinpoint HDD. The 160GB is pretty cheap and as I will be using a fileserver, space isn't really an issue. Is there any way to make sure I get a good motor in the drive? Anyone know a good supplier?

If anyone knows of a quiet DVD-R drive, it would be cool as well.

Sorry for the long post, will split it up later if there's still unanswered questions.

2. Diablo668

Diablo668 What's a Dremel?

Okay; congrats on your shuttle xpc ;)

I got myself the same SN45G last summer;

My setup is as followed:

Shuttle SN45G
    AMD Athlon Xp 2800+ Barton
    2X 512 DDR400 Cl2.5 (MDT)
    120GB + 80GB Maxtor Maxdiamond 9 Plus
    Ati Radeon 9800 Pro 256MB
    Soundblaster Audigy 1
    Thosiba DVD Drive

I must say I'm very happy with this pc setup; and games run sweat as hell (and yes I do mean HL²);

As for the temp; Well the ICE Fan is just great; it's speed controlled and my cpu never goes over 54°C Stressed and that is with the ice fan on low settings; when used at full speed the temp goes up to 48°C Stressed

As for the ram; I personaly suggest you buy that pc3200 (ddr400) you can always run it at 333fsb if you us a athlon on a fsb of 333Mhz; and personaly i'd take the dualchannel setup; the extra performance isn't that much; but it's something and the extra price you pay for 2 instead of 1 of the double size isn't that much; sow...

Hope this helped a bit; just my experience

ps:

The barton turned out to be a sempron core (used some prog for cpu id; don't know what I used); heard somewhere that the bartons where already sold with the sempron core; and this could be verry well true since (correct me if I'm wrong) the sempron just is the xp under a new name for budget use

3. unrealhippie

unrealhippie What's a Dremel?

Hate to sound like a git, but there is no
    - they are 2800+ (2.0Ghz)and 3200+ (2.4Ghz), get it right please!

I'd say you should buy an Athlon 2500+ mobile preferably or if not the 3200+ chip would be good.

Just this weekend I built:
    SN45G2
    Athlon 3000+
    1024mb pc2700

The pc2700 is ddr333, 166fsb. The 3000+ model is 166fsb also so there a nice match for a stock system, however if you buy a 2500+ mobile or 3200+ XP you will want pc3200 for sure (200fsb).

4. scotty6435

Sorry bout getting the + and GHz mixed up :blah: Effective speed isn't the same but it's pretty damn close. I will be going for the 3.2 XP as soon as I can scrape together 500 quid to equip my shuttle (excluding graphics card & TV tuner/s :waah: ).

5. Tomm

Tomm I also ride trials :¬)

"Sempron" is a brand name, not a core name. I *think* the SocketA Semprons use a Thoroughbred (Previously of AXP fame) core. They might have changed the cPU ID, but it's still based on the T'bred core :)

6. Leeum

Leeum What's a Dremel?

Yeah, the Semprons are essentially locked thoroughbred's, they lack on L2 cache tbh but the thoroughbred b's are good overclockers. If i were you i'd go for a 2500 Mobile, 512 - 1GB DDR400 and a 9800 Pro. I run a similar setup and i enjoy HL2 just about highest settings (no aa or aaf mind ;))

7. scotty6435

ATm I've got an old P4 2.53GHz (without HT), 512mb generic DDR on an old asus mobo that runs at something like 333MHz FSB. With my FX5900 I can run HL2 at 1024x768 with 2xAA and 2xAF with normal-high settings. it's pretty sweet but a bit laggy at points. I think I could do with the extra horsepower of a 3200+ with all the multimedia I plan to do on it. Getting 1gig of geil value RAM which is apparently a really nice combo with an XP processor in the 45g.

Thanks for all your help/suggestions :D ,

Scotty

8. unrealhippie

unrealhippie What's a Dremel?

remember a 3.2 Ghz P4 is going to slaughter a 3200+... AMD's 64 range saved them, there AXP range was good for the lower models which could be clocked it hell..

Anyways im running happily with my 3000+..

Tags: