1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

CPU So I bought a 1366 Xeon. **6 Cores Of Fun**

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Pookie, 8 Aug 2014.

1. Pookie

Pookie Illegitimi non carborundum

Well I got the chip guy's (x5650)but it hasn't been plain sailing. I was on the latest BIOS F8A and my system wouldn't POST. So i flashed down to the previous BIOS F7L. Anyway I thought I had cracked it because although I'm sat here typing this with 12 threads running I can only use 8GB of RAM! Here is my board (Rev 1.0)http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=3305#ov

Any suggestions? Roll back another BIOS?

Last edited: 13 Aug 2014
  2. TheMadDutchDude

TheMadDutchDude The Flying Dutchman

Is all RAM detected in the BIOS?

If it isn't, try changing the three slots that it's in to the other channel. If that still doesn't work, it's possible that the IMC is slightly faulty as I believe they are onboard the CPU from those chips onwards.

Do you have anyone with another 1366 board near you? If not, I'll happily offer my assistance as I have an X58A-OC here at the moment. I can't send the board to you though as it's not mine.

3. lancer778544

lancer778544 Multimodder

Check the CPU pins. I've seen a few posts on here with other people in your situation and the solution was a bent or a mis-seated pin on the CPU socket.

4. TheMadDutchDude

That's what I forgot to post! I've had an issue with a 4770K where it kept crashing, even at stock. After reseating the CPU, it worked flawlessly.

5. Big Elf

Big Elf Oh no! Not another f----ing elf!

Also try increasing the QPI/VTT voltage as well as manually setting the RAM timings.

6. Pookie

Thanks Guy's. I rolled back to F6 but still the same. Fails to complete POST with 3 sticks in. I checked the pins as best as I could see and they look fine. I poppped my i7 back in and the full 12GB shows in the BIOS and in Windows.

I'll try upping the QPI/VTT now and post back. The Xeon is Back in now.

EDIT: I have tried the RAM in numerous configurations but the best I can get is 8GB showing in BIOS but Windows reporting only 4GB usable!

7. Pookie

Intresting. Now showing 8GB in BIOS and 8GB in windows. I'll slap the last stick in wash and rinse :thumb:

8. LennyRhys

LennyRhys Fan Fan

I had a similar experience with my most recent hexcore CPU (i7 980) but it sorted itself out - seems to be some weird things going on with these chips and how they play with motherboards.

Keep us updated about any overclocking or tweaking you intend to do as I'm still really tempted to get one of these Xeons.

9. Pookie

Well the best I can do is 8GB in BIOS and in Windows with 2 sticks. It's regardless of which slot i use for the 3rd stick it will fail to post. This was a pipe dream :sigh:

10. LennyRhys

LennyRhys Fan Fan

Try down-clocking your RAM to 1333mhz (or even lower) and check all the frequencies, including uncore as this could cause problems for RAM detection. Xeons are not "enthusiast" CPUs and are not designed to work with high memory frequencies, and will not work with XMP (that I'm aware of) so make sure any XMP setting is disabled.

11. Pookie

Hi Lenny

I'm done testing. Even with the lowest setting channel 1 isnt being detected (No XMP). Even with 1 stick in channel 1 it won't post. I was rushing earlier and just didnt test that.

I'm back on with the 920 and everything is back to normal (Full 12GB). I'm messaging the seller for a replacement then I'm going to sulk for an hour or so while playing BattleField Vietnam.

12. LennyRhys

LennyRhys Fan Fan

I understand. ;) I had a quick look around and some guys are getting easy 4.2GHz with this chip running their memory nice and high, so either your chip is at fault or it just doesn't like your motherboard or BIOS. I think I will get one though!

13. Pookie

Shame your not in Devon. You could have tried it for me lol. I have contacted the seller so I guess I will have to wait and see.

14. Pookie

Sell me the board and tell your friend you lost it :D

15. TheMadDutchDude

No can do. Haha. He's one of my best mates and I am abusing some chips with it. Haha. :)

It seems as if you've found the fault anyway. The IMC is dodgy which renders the chip faulty in my eyes. I hope you can get a replacement sorted from the seller.

16. Pookie

Mr Bungle picked one up awhile back on the MP. I have wanted one ever since lol.

17. LennyRhys

LennyRhys Fan Fan

More and more of them are popping up on ebay at a similar price, around £75 inc. which is very good. If I'm able to get a half decent price for my golden 920 (which I should easily on ebay) then I'll jump on a X5650. To get a 6 core/12 thread CPU so cheap is just crazy, even if it is a bit hit-and-miss with motherboard compatibility. You're not the only one having problems!

18. mrbungle

mrbungle Undercooked chicken giver

Gutted you are having problems bud.

You have a fair returns window with eBay so if you want it testing drop a line.

19. LennyRhys

LennyRhys Fan Fan

I've been reading this thread on OCN and there's TONS of stuff in there, including a lot about the X5650 as well. It's 147 pages long LOL.

One guy got an X5650 which was missing one of the tiny SMD components on the underside of the CPU and as a result it wouldn't detect all channels of RAM... sounds a lot like what you're experiencing.

If I'm being honest, I think I'd rather buy from another seller for an extra fiver as I don't think these CPUs are being rigorously tested beforehand.

20. Big Elf

Big Elf Oh no! Not another f----ing elf!

I'd forgotten about this but if you do need another X58 board then I have a P6TD Deluxe for sale. I can't believe I'd forgotten it.