1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

So I downloaded Doom3...

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by WilHarris, 9 Aug 2004.

1. WilHarris

WilHarris Just another nobody Moderator

2. Kevo

Kevo 426F6C6C6F636B7300

:duh:

3. Hamish

Hamish What's a Dremel?

more like "If i download Doom3 pirated and then cancel the pre-order i would've just returned cos its boring, what exactly am i doing that's so wrong?" :p
    *gets flame-proof suit*
    :worried:

4. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Cause you're seeding to others who probably wont buy the game? But then, that's up to them? You cannot be held responsible for the actions of others.

Induce people are gonna have a field day with that comment. :rolleyes: :hehe:

That's exactly what it boils down to.

5. Firehed

Firehed Why not? I own a domain to match.

Here's my stance on pirating software... only do it on software that's overpriced for what it is. I have no problem shelling out some money for a game and if Windows was stable it wouldn't bother me (much, save supporting microsoft) but in all reality, who in their right mind at Adobe thinks the average joe will pay >$600 for Photoshop, or even ~$150 for the upgrade version?

Overpriced software causes piracy if you ask me. *gives microsoft and adobe the evil eye* I'm sure that I'm not the only one who wouldn't mind paying for software if it was more reasonably priced. And if my theory is right, the software developers would make just as much if not more money.

Now I'm finding the article a bit funny though. Three days? My friend (actually a friend, or as you call them bandwidth-savers :D ) only took 18 hours or so, and the first 3/4 of the DL was slowed by him having bad router settings :hehe: :hehe:

What could be more exciting than having Doom3 early, you ask? That would definately have to be winning a house complete with the highest-end system you can get in every room, all with doom3 (and a mountain of other games) installed.... ALL before Doom3 is out. :jawdrop: :clap:

6. -:: M@ ::-

-:: M@ ::- Testify!

Nupe no suit needed your right, its as boring as hell...don't get me wrong, its a piece of art alright, even on the worst computer it looks amazing and plays amazing, but its just so damn repetitive....

Step one : Walk into lit room
    Step two : Lights go out
    Step three : Suddenly see the fireball of the imp that just spawned
    Step four : Kill Imp
    Step five : Did something just move in that shadow??..see either fat zombie or thin one...
    Step six : Hurrah the rooms cleared...Then suddenly room goes red, and two more imp's spawn...
    Step seven : Exit room

Ok now just repeat steps 1-7 for the whole game, thats all it is..theres only so many times something can walk out of the shadows before you get bored of it...and the weapons are boring imho aswell.

But the download thing, yeah I think of it as more of a try before you buy, they didn't release a demo for the game, so everyones downloaded it to see if its any good before buying, just like a demo would do (and from what ive seen, everyones bored of it and won't be buying it...) Also people download it because its released in america first, why is it released there first, if they released it on a global date, they would obviously make more money as people wouldnt have to download it whilst they wait for it to come into the shops...

- M@

7. quack

quack Minimodder

I've got Doom3 on pre-order but I couldn't wait either ;) Why should I have to wait an extra week or two? It's not fair.

And it's far from boring, the tension and atmosphere are fantastically scary if you play it in the dark with 5.1 sound so you can hear creepy child-like voices whisper "come closer" somewhere behind you in the dark.

Movies don't creep me out, I'm not going to die. Games do, because I will die (and respawn/reload a saved game of course, but dying isn't fun!)

I'll be glad when it is finally released in the UK and I will have paid id for their incredibly hard work.

8. Hamish

Hamish What's a Dremel?

yea for the first hour or so, but then it does become boring, i stopped playing some point after getting clear of the alpha labs, cba playing anymore
    Joint Operations is butt ugly in comparison but infinately more fun and i can see myself playing JO for a lot longer than i could ever play d3 :p

9. Sc0rian

Sc0rian Here comes the farmer

yeah, good read.. Funny:)

I felt really sorry for the doom people

10. Simonsnet

Simonsnet What's a Dremel?

Games tend to be jsut about the only thing I do pay for. I must admit I had to download Doom 3 to give it a go, I lasted 1 level, well not even 1 level.

Tis way too scarey for me!

So, in my opinion that was worth a download. I tried it, didn't like it, so I didn't waste £40(ish) on buying something that I'd never play again.

11. RTT

RTT #parp

:hehe: :hehe: :hehe: :hehe:

great column :thumb:

12. iljs

iljs What's a Dremel?

Yea. I believe i myself and somewhat a Bill. Currently im running xp pro corp (illegal iso) on a windows admin key (no activation). Im currently not playing CS / Doom3 because i dont want to interupt my donwloading of the DVDrip of Far cry and Unreal and Painkiller. The only software i've bought was a cd-key off ebay for stupid steam and its validation :(. My dad always tells me the feds are on the way :(

13. The_Resetter

The_Resetter I LIKE CAKE!

Superb collum, nice piece of writing, sounds familiar to me :p

14. -:: M@ ::-

-:: M@ ::- Testify!

Save yourself some bandwidth, stop downloading painkiller, it aint even worth it for free, all it is is shoot shoot shoot...really REALLY boring...

- M@

15. p3n

p3n What's a Dremel?

im not buying it cos the sp is crap and the mp is mediocre

16. JinkzUK

JinkzUK What's a Dremel?

The oppertunity was there so I took it, and im pleased to say, I love the game!! BUY IF YOU LIKE IT! like all the groups say in their nfo file.

17. henson0115

henson0115 Banned

[EDIT BY GOO] - You obviously can't read, can you? :blah:

Last edited by a moderator: 9 Aug 2004
  18. Piratetaco

Piratetaco is always right

its not worth it.its too short and has noooooo replay value unlike UT2k4 which i brought.its sooo close to being an interactive film hence nothing changes each time you play it.its as linear as a ruler.

19. calnen

calnen moo!!

Good article :)

I havnt downloaded it and dont intend to buy it.. it's just not my type of game. (Much too solitary and reclusive) - I always go for multiplayer.

20. Hwulex

Hwulex Minimodder

I've barely looked at any screenies, let alone downloaded it. I am waiting patiently for my copy to arrive, where upon I will make my own informed decisions about the game. If I don't like it, I won't take it back, because I'm lazy. That'd mean either a) wrapping it and sending it off, or b) going back to where I bought it and queueing or waiting longer than I did when I bought it. Not worth it.

I've only ever bought two games before (well, 3, but Play sent me Love Actually instead of UT2k4 :rolleyes: - which I still haven't played because of it) and they were UT2003 and Quake III. Played the demo of Far Cry, thought it was great, but unlikely to sit and play the whole game as I just don't have time. Played RTCW on a mate's PC for a bit, was pretty good, but not enough to buy it and finish it on my own PC. Borrowed MaxPayne2 off a mate which I completed and enjoyed, but after completing it, never looked at it again. SOF2 I played for a couple of days then never again. I just don't like playing games that much tbh.

I can imagine myself playing Doom3 though, but if I don't enjoy it, oh well. For some reason I feel this alegience to ID for just being awesome, so I'll buy their new games.

Tags: Add Tags