1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

So I downloaded Doom3...

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by WilHarris, 9 Aug 2004.

1. Penrhos

Penrhos What's a Dremel?

I nearly always d/l games I "might" be interested in buying first because..
    1) Will it work on my kit, and be playable £30 game = £300 upgrade - NOT.
    2) I've bought far too much hyped crap in the past to believe reviews in magazines/papers (I worked at one and i've seen the bribes).
    3) Will it last more than a couple of hours (I can buy a DVD for £15 that will last 2-3 hours I expect my games to give me at least the same enjoyment ratio).

Yes I d/l doom3 in < 3 hours (at work - fat pipe) played it - completed it in 8 hours and yes I will buy it when it finally gets released in the UK, I did the same for UT2K4 and BF and I bought them - I dont use p2p because it it too easy and "induces" lazy people to pirate stuff "because its there".

Bottom line is if its good and priced right it will sell to those who will buy. Those who wont buy arent lost sales because they wouldn't have bought it anyway - Those who buy movie tie-ins and sequels get just what they deserve - Those who could buy and dont and those who pirate and sell are the real villans.

2. slater

slater Mummy Says Im Special

Hang on a sec! Streets of Rage rules! :waah: :rolleyes:

So did the original doom! Its just nowerdays games have evolved and i expect a bit more for my money. Im not saying doom3 is crap its just too expencive to buy just to try it and find its not relly what i like. The game was so over hyped people are bound to want to get it early so if its easy to d/l people will d/l it.

3. maki43

maki43 I can touch my toes 1,2,3

TBH it was pretty obvious this was going to happen with doom3, and no doubt with half life 2.
    In the end they should have done a world wide launch so that people in other countries wouldnt need to download it to play it!

I believe that downloading games is nessesary just as is a demo. I hardly ever play single player games ne more, just mulitplayer, so i need to buy the game to get a proper cd key/disc. By downloading a game im going to maybe go through the single player once but it gives me a good idea of what im going to get from the muliplayer side. Its hardly worth me buying the game if the mp is crap if im not going to play it often!

4. mykoe817

mykoe817 What's a Dremel?

i agree!! who in the right mind WOULD pay 100+ for a lil cd that can b scratched so easily... microsoft, adobe, and all of those little program no more then 1 gig prices at 150$, its stupid. overpriced CDs causes piracy

5. Altron

Altron Minimodder

I didn't download it, *Friends with rich parents* :D, but I have played a little. I beat the first level. It looked nice, but the storyline sucked. A horrible "accident" that spawns a bunch of aliens and zombies into a research complex. Come on, like we've never seen that before. The gameplay was alright, but for being the pinnacle of gaming technology it wasn't much better than ids older games, like quake 3 and the new Wolfensteins. From a perspective of gameplay and graphics, I liked Wolfenstein Enemy Territory better. Although I must admit i'm a fan of being able to see the things that I am shooting. It started off with a long and boring intro, similar to the "tram ride" from Half Life (although not as bad) and then launched into a boring search for a scientist. After that the shooting starts, but it wasn't fun. Very similar to those RTCW levels where you were in a dark passageway and zombies jumped out of the walls. The starting pistol was inbadequate for most of it. Since it was slow moving close range, I got all headshots, and even then, some guys took a lot of lead before falling and there wasn't enough space for manuvering. As I beat Level 1, I was dizzy and had a headache. I took some asprin and laid down for a bit, then went back to playing fun games like RTCW and starcraft. Glad I did not buy it, just borrowed it. I could see some excellent games coming off of the Doom 3 engine, but Doom 3 itself was not up to my expectations, especially considering the endless hype. Even back in 2002 when I joined there was discussion about Doom 3, about how it would be coming out soon, and everyone bought their bleeding edge Geforce 4s to play it. Almost 2 years later, it's become a letdown.

6. Balder

Balder Calmer than a monk on morphine

Realy nice article :thumb:
    I've downloaded all the stuff I use, from photoshop to doom3
    And I've bought it (yes even photoshop, 6.0, upgraded to cs, that hurt my account :eeek: )
    The only thing I havent downloaded first is Windows XP, I have 4, yes 4 copys, all activated....

Had to stop when I moved, since I'm on ISDN now, arghh cant wait to get my adsl... stupid isp!

\\Balder

7. Jamie

Jamie ex-Bit-Tech code junkie

Why is there not 56k setting in the connection settings for multiplayer :grr: :grr: :grr:

and

:grr:

8. Iceman

Iceman Staff

You've not seen how much bandwidth it uses then? It's staggering :) 56k would never play it, simple as.

I think a lot of you are missing the point with DOOM III . It never pretended to be anything its not. DOOM and DOOM II were exactly the same in terms of gameplay, it was always known that the 3rd would share the same style. I think a few of you were expecting a Half Life style single player. D3 is a hugely atmospheric game based on relatively simple gameplay. Earlier levels do get a bit tedious sometimes I agree but I'm still yet to play it without scaring the life out of myself :)

9. quack

quack Minimodder

Well said. I'd agree with that. :thumb:

I can't even begin to count the times the hairs on my arms stood up as I got goose bumps just walking into a dark room and hearing strange voices coming from somewhere.

10. slater

slater Mummy Says Im Special

I dunno it just doesent have that X factor that the original did. Everyone hyped it up as being the best game in years when tbh that kind of game is not that great anymore.

Personaly i love the attual game play of it i like the way they use the darkness to make it a bit difficult. The horror factor is just awsome and i relly liked the way they give you a bit of a choice as to how you play the game (like differant options to get passed a cirtan level) but these things dont make it a worthwhile purchase in the long term. Theres nothing there to keep me addicted. Its as if i allredy know whats gonna happen next so theres no point in plying it anymore. :sigh:

11. Andy Mc

Andy Mc Modder

HL2 beta aint worth the bandwidth. It is only cool if you want to run around the maps to look at the cool artwork, the water effects are sooo cool. Other than that it is still a beta so aint worth it.
    The D3 beta2 was way too buggy, looked really cool though.
    Still i'm gonna wait before i get either, see what people say about it after they have been played a bit before i jump on the bandwagon.

12. quack

quack Minimodder

You can hardly call either a beta, they were alphas. Internal code leaked to the outside world. The Half Life 2 leak was not really any more than the E3 preview, which was nowhere near finished.

13. Jamie

Jamie ex-Bit-Tech code junkie

I just wish the trigger points for the monsters to jump out weren't as predictable.

"Oooh look it's a medi pack and a load of ammo"

*walks over*

"ROAAOAAOAOR"

"Ahh **** I didn't expect that!"

14. relix

relix Minimodder

Omg ... you're French sucks!

Oh, and good column ;).

15. Zidane

Zidane What's a Dremel?

a good article, and i would agree with some of the points, when NTL *finally* call me back with a pid for my cable, i'll be downloading it too.

i consider myself a responsible downloader, if i download something, i leave it on upload for as long as it took me to get it, if i got it for free, it only seems fair that others should get it for free. i tend to use downloaded software as a 'try before you buy' idea. ic an d/l something and try it out. like call of duty... it looked cool, so i downloaded it, and hammered through it in a night. the game is awesome, very shiny and some good ai's, but to be honest, its far too short, and doesnt justify the 30 quid it took to buy it when it was released. max payne two, i downloaded, played for 5 minutes, then un-installed and never played again. dues ex, i downloaded, and then went out and bought, and play it maybe once or twice a month. black&white, on the other hand, isnt something i would pick up in a shop, but as it was on d/l, i got it 'free' and figured it was worth a look. since i started, i havent stopped playing it, i bought a copy, and even bought the expansion pack, creature isle. without being able to d/l it and try it first, i would never have bought the game or the expansion pack.

in the end, demo's are good, but i dislike them, ive seen too many 5 mintue demos that dont show the real game, and if im going to d/l a demo, i may as well d/l the game.

i rarely, if ever, buy games without playing them first, cause i cant afford to go out and spend £30 on a game that will last me 6 hours, and never be played again. i have a wide taste in games, from quake to sim-city to final fantasy (playstations rock). if i can download a game, and play it, then make a decision, i havent deprived any company of a sale, if i bought the game, and didnt like it, i'd return it, and get an exchange. if anything, ive saved money, by not using the administration that goes with buying, returning and exchanging (those spotty geeks in game dont come cheap you know ;) ). if i download a game and i like it, the games writers have gained a sale, if i cant download a game to try it, i dont buy it.

d/l'ing games is a good thing, it increases sales, especially when coupled with technologies that mean you have to have the game cd or a reg number to play multiplayer (which is a big incentive to buy the game). admittedly, some people just download and never buy, but to be honest, if you do, then take my advice, its well worth buying the origonal game, even if only to be able to get the patches, etc.

16. Piratetaco

Piratetaco is always right

if i like a game i'll buy it.i feel guilty(or tight) playing a game i like that i haven't paid for(same with CD's.i've bought so many since i got the phat pipe)
    prime example.UT2k4 i got the demo,installed it on both mine and my bro's PC's.when i came out i bought it(there and then) on the day it came out.£30 notes but it was an f*****g awesome game and its worth it.D3 isn't.

17. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Yea, Streets of Rage was the absolute best-game-ever. Played it continuously on my next door neighbours mega drive whilst he had it.

Yes, it was repetative, but it was still damn good.

Why do we consider the latest doom to be any different? Its more technically advanced but do we expect so much more from games now that unless it is 100% addictive, takes ages to play and unique (how unique can you get when shooting things??) we arent happy anymore?

Is it because we cant take games back to the shops now, unlike we used to? I mean - if it was crap id take it back and either get my money back (which will never happen now, cause you get a ****ty "credit note") or swap it for another. You just cant do that anymore - as soon as you open it you cant take it back, so noone is willing to risk "wasting money" on them.

18. Altron

Altron Minimodder

It's not just the repetitiveness of Doom 3, it's just the weird storyline. I'll explain.

In Quake 3, it was repetitive. But they knew that, so there was no storyline. It was just a series of tournaments and tiers leading up to the final boss.

In Half Life, there were some tedious scenes and a long storyline, but they did a good job adding new twists.

Doom 3 combined the repetitiveness of Quake 3 with the tedious scenes and long storyline of half life.

19. Iceman

Iceman Staff

Yes but again, that's the whole point of Doom III. They were never going to change the story, it was always meant to be a far more atmospheric re-enactment of the original Doom. Changing the story wouldn't have been wise.

This is a game after all, a flurry of false lighting and textures creating a pathway into a fantasy world. Is everyone wanting a virtual big brother or a *fantasy* / *fictional* story line?

I know which I'd choose :)

20. Altron

Altron Minimodder

I just wish that if they weren't going to add an interesting plot, they should have added no plot at all and just gone for a Quake 3 style deathmatch.

Tags: Add Tags