1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

So I downloaded Doom3...

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by WilHarris, 9 Aug 2004.

1. Iceman

Iceman Staff

Quake IV will be along to satiate your needs soon enough :)

Really games are all about taste and personal opinion. I agree that everything in terms of story / gameplay may have been done before many times over but that doesn't necessarily make it a bad or boring game. FPS games have become so popular over the last few years and its getting increasingly hard to create new and revolutionary concepts within this genre. In all honesty I'm not expecting HL2 to be anywhere near as good as when I first sat down and played HL all the way through. Doom is basic I agree but it focusses on the environment and scaring the hell out of you (which it does damn well for me) and that's clearly where they've decided to aim with their latest project.

I enjoy good single player games more now than ever before. After playing professional / world top 5 CS for 2 years it makes a refreshing change :)

2. Firehed

Firehed Why not? I own a domain to match.

Try playing at 4am in a dark room...

I just got myself to some part where I thought I was in good conditions with health and ammo and then quickly died from running out of both. /me likes the quicksave key. Maybe I should have broken out the rocket launcher...

Anyways now that I've played it a bit... hard to say. I have mixed feelings. It's not really my style of game (I like UT2k4 onslaught type of deals where there's at least some strategy other than use the flashlight when it's dark and save often) but it's definately interesting. Repetative is an understatement. I can't really comment on the graphics since I have to run it at 640x480 to stay at playable framerates most of the time *curses 9600pro* so it's basically like counterstrike 1.5 for me :waah: Definately fun though. I got it basically for two reasons... to give myself an excuse to upgrade my graphics card and to see if it lived up to the hype. The PDA drives me nuts though so I just googled for two seconds and printed off cabinet codes (and curses, a couple are wrong!)

3. rewris

rewris What's a Dremel?

4. ch424

ch424 Design Warrior

I did this with half life -- I had seven different vesions on three different machines for years before I bought a legal version :lol:

I guess that's still not legal if it's on three machines... I'll uninstall it before the authorites come round :)

ch424

5. acron^

acron^ ePeen++;

lol?

Is that a joke?

I don't recognise your name - what clan were you with?

6. Iceman

Iceman Staff

I was the founder of Ui (uninspired). I don't need to go into any more details :)

- That is of course you're unfamiliar with UK CS teams going back couple of years.

7. acron^

acron^ ePeen++;

Totally familiar with Ui :p /me bows

8. liquidhot

liquidhot What's a Dremel?

Bull!

That's like saying that overpriced sports cars cause theft! The GIMP does a lot of great stuff just like Photoshop (with the exception of no GIF support, but PNG is better anyway) and costs a whole lot less. They even have a demo for download so you can try before you buy.

You can't tell me that I spend hours slaving over code so some punk on the internet can tell me that my software is overpriced. If it's overpriced that means it's not worth buying not that it's worth stealing.

9. X-W4rrioR

X-W4rrioR What's a Dremel?

only games i ever bought were starcaft 1&2
    RedAlert 1
    and NOX

the rest i burned/DLed

even my HL cd key isnt mine :p (no, not theft, some 1337 guy at some forum gave it to me)

i DLed doom and its an OK game.. i dont know
    i think its more of a showoff of the graphics engine then the game, and trust me ppl
    ID is going to make WAY more cash of the engine then on doom 3.

the only game i see worth buying anytime soon is HL2 - and thats only for the key.

10. Pygo

Pygo Rick Relixed

Doom3 is kinda fun. or at least new. and i like the kind of freaky ness it has. also the graphics, and for multiplayer, I played against 2 other people, and dominated. The closest I got to losing was a tie with one point to go, I won that match.
    quite fun for just a few people running around blasting the crap outa eachother, with superb graphics. and one guy had a radeon 9000 and ran at medium @ 640x480, and it ran quite alright. lagged a bit in a few places though. the 9500 pro my other friend had lagged very badly, and had to have all the settings cranked right down. he had the original drives that came on the cd though. so, I would imagine that updated drives would fix that.

11. Altron

Altron Minimodder

I'm amused to hear the stories of people with Radeon 9x00s and Geforce FXs not being able to run it, for some reason, my Geforce 3 Classic ran it fine with default settings.

12. Pygo

Pygo Rick Relixed

hehe, my geforce fx 5600 runs fine with all advanced settings on, and aa at 2x (at 800x600)
    but sadly, no one wants to play with a player with a ping over 4k.. nor do they want to play on a server when they have a ping over 5k :waah:
    It was called "Uber Dialup Server" and maybe 5 people connected and left. only one let me kill him twice. then he timed out.

13. elrond

elrond What's a Dremel?

the true gamer wouldnt mind paying...

i havent downloaded it or bought it yet; i couldnt decide if i wanted to or not...but you just made up my mind for me. i'm defidently buying this game...i don't know what you liked about wolf so much, but that was *the* best level in there. the suspense, stuff blasting out of the walls in front of and behind you, never knowing where it's coming from next...running headlong into a load of zombies when you were only expecting one, your sten overheats and you jerk back on the mouse wheel to pull out the mp40, but you've selected the thompson instead (wonderful weapon, but limited ammo makes you want to save it for the bosses).

there are certian experiences in video gaming that are so perfect, so unforgettable, that they just shine. for example: medal of honor, allied assult - you've just stolen the german stg44 prototype...heroic music echoing down the halls, you sprint down the long corridor, picking off germans as they approach, mowing down snipers as you strafe your way in, far too close for their long range rifles to be effective...gotta love it.

in diablo 2, remember your first encounter with mephisto? you've hacked through seas of damn pigmies, with their butcher knives and blow darts, and somehow you managed to get past that special flayer shaman with stone skin...then battled through level after level of those priest/deamon things in the Travincal. now you enter the final level of Act 3, and what do you hear? maniacal laughter, of course! a few dead special/minion monsters later, you're finally confronted by the god of hatred himself, who promptly lightning bolts you...quick, your character's life is at stake! does your amazon portal out while she still can, or does your barbarian go toe-to-toe, seeking a quick victory against this giant glowing hellspawn!? and where is that damn mercenary!?

two more, in call of duty: british campaign, you're defending the bridge by manning an enemy '88 against their own tanks, german armies swarm up at your battered squadron from all sides with a beautiful violin soundtrack...or in the russian campaign, you're holding the stalingrad apartments from a multitude of german troops and trying to fend off panzer tanks at the same time - then the sudden silence as the last geman dies, nothing but a quiet breeze blowing through the complex.

the crypt in wolfenstein is another one of these moments...zombies springing out from walls, the tension as you enter a room with a thick mist surrounding your legs, the sudden panic as skeletons burst out from the floor, their glowing eyes and notched axes far too close for your comfort. moments later, a large, flaming...something...crawls out of a firepit, and you suddenly realise that grates have fallen in front of the exits to this narrow room, you're at less than half life, and almost out of ammo for your tommy!

in my opinion, graphics dont make a video game, and good gameplay doesnt make a video game either (although both are helpful). the true test is whether you remember it afterwards, if it sticks in your mind after you're done with it. ok, doom 3 has great dynamic lighting, and its plot line isn't so great...so what? years afterwards, will you still remember the extreme suspense you felt as you began walking through a door, knowing full well it was about to shut behind you, but not knowing what obnoxiously ugly beast was lurking in the ceiling?

if you can remember a scene like that, it's worth buying, if you havent already. if nothing else, consider it a token of your appreciation for the masters of coding that brought you the game. real gamers live for these experiences, they're priceless...any amount of money is worth getting the chance to force: push a platoon of imperial stormtroopers deep into the yavin swamps, watching as their bodies slam headlong into an ominous statue, several yards away, then whipping out the old lightsaber for some cinema-worthy swordfighting stunts against a pair of black-armored Reborn! it's what we live for, and to a *true* gamer, it's worth paying for.

14. Altron

Altron Minimodder

I personally preferred some of the more open levels. Some of my favorites are the Cathedral one, where you are in the bnig church with the chicks in tight leather and they all have stens and you don't know where they're hiding and you run out and duck for cover behind a pillar, then try to snipe them with the sten. Or the levels where you had to sneak around without getting caught. I think hiding in the trees with that crazy nightvision rifle picking off guards, or the one in the village where you can't make noise and you run around executing people with the sten are a lot more fun than the zombie ones.

15. dgb

dgb What's a Dremel?

You feeling that it is not worth $X does not give you a right to pirate it.

Tags: Add Tags