1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

So I got my SLR now what?

Discussion in 'Photography, Art & Design' started by Cheap Mod Wannabe, 14 Mar 2008.

1. Cheap Mod Wannabe

Cheap Mod Wannabe What's a Dremel?

All the people in the thread were kinda going there, only you said it bluntly in a sentence.

Well the lens is alright and I'm sure I'll still be using it quite a lot. But even though I have not been shooting that much, it was already not getting enough light in. Like that band shoot for example. In order to get anything in non flash photos I used shutter priority and shot at high ISO while 2 stops underexposed. And from my previous non SLR experience I find myself quite often in such dark environments. That is one reason.

Second reason I really love short depth of field. And with my lens the only effect I can get is at 55mm (88mm equiv) at F5.6 which is not much.

2. Jumeira_Johnny

Jumeira_Johnny 16032 - High plains drifter

Well, one way to over come that is to get more comfortable with lights, be they 500 watt heads or speedlights. Most people like avaible light photogrpahy because it's easier and cheaper. But getting good with lights is the only way to be able to shoot anything, anywhere, anytime.

Well then that moves you into the f/1.4 range, and that means primes.

3. Vers

Vers ...

Good thing I'm not married, otherwise I'd be divorced within the next upcoming months (if not already). I find in my current situation it's easier to just say "Do you want me to make more money and nail better jobs?...cause' this lens can do that for me" *proceeds to lean over an kiss her on the cheek*..."love you...". And thats that, a lens is on its way and I am temporarily broke.

Cheap, Since you want something functional in low light situations look towards a 50 and or 85 prime. Also keep in mind DOF is not only determined by aperture, it also has plenty to do with FL...the longer the FL the more compressed the image, the shorter DOF and more dreamy bokeh. In other words if you shot a subject with you kit at 55mm f/5.6 and then shot it with a 135 (for example) using the same framing and ratio the DOF will be more compressed, the bokeh will be smoother and the BG more diffused with the 135.
    JJ makes a good point in sitting down and rationalizing all of your shots--weeding out what FL's you use and what you don't use. For me I'd take fast glass over flash any day, I have a 580EXII and hardly ever use it rather resorting to fast primes instead...but then again thats my shooting style. Find yours and your kit will gradually fall into place based on your needs.

Also, are you definitely going to the city tomorrow? If so let me know...shoot me a PM or something.

-Matt

Last edited: 15 Mar 2008
  4. Jumeira_Johnny

It's not quite like that. She's ok with me buying what I need to do my job. No questions asked. But she knows of my interest in getting better at what I do. She has to hear me rant about how equipment isn't everything, and knows my philosophy of making what you have work. She just has a way of reminding me of that. She also knows that I am trying to run a profitable business, and that includes making well thought out decisions about equipment purchases. The truth is, my lenses are making me money, and buying new ones isn't going to land me more jobs. She's good at sorting out need from want, which in my mind is a very thin and blurry line.

5. Firehed

Firehed Why not? I own a domain to match.

Sounds like she has pretty good judgment. Beats me how she ended up with a fellow Bit-techer ;)

6. Vers

Vers ...

...It is for me. Really at this point in the relationship she has no valid say in what I do or do not purchase, but I still am subjected to a bit of bitching... OTOH if I were to be married I am sure she would try and monopolize my funds a bit, like the most of them. Anyhow I am pretty good at rationalizing between my needs and wants-- as for her she pretty much only reminds me that I left the toilet seat up and I don't let the dogs out enough...nothing constructive as far as photography goes.

-Matt

7. Jumeira_Johnny

If I had a dollar every time I heard that! :D

8. supermonkey

supermonkey Deal with it

Sounds like she has pretty good judgment. Beats me how she ended up with a fellow Bit-techer

There. Now go buy that new lens you've been lusting after! :p

-monkey

9. Firehed

Firehed Why not? I own a domain to match.

"If" being the operative word.