1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding So I had this old Pentium II

Discussion in 'Modding' started by Warrior_Rocker, 6 Dec 2006.

1. Warrior_Rocker

Warrior_Rocker Holder of the sacred iron

I had this old Pentium II just begging me to make into a keychain. So I said to myself well why should I deny it getting more use as a keychain then it does as a processor. And I granted it it's dying wish. Really it is just because I will make any excuse other than writing my paper thats due tomorrow.

It is fairly easy to make these keychains look rather nice if you just follow a few steps. First off all if your target is a chip or processor that is attached to a board permanantly you need to remove it. Hopefully it is a surface mount and in that case you can slide an old pocket knife under it and break it free from the clutches of the board.

Once you have the actual chip or processor you then need to remove the pins off the actual chip. You can accomplish this normally by using a small torch. My small torch of choice is a radioshack butane soldering iron with the torch tip attached. All you have to do is run the torch over the pins on the back of the chip and scrape them off with the same old knife you used to liberate the processor.

Once free and all the pins are off you will have a nice clean looking chip. This is important since it is a keychain and you wont want it catching on pocket things or poking you in the finger as you fiddle for your keys. It makes a more prefessional looking job that is easily accomplished. Total time to make something like this about 20 minutes if you go slow and do everything right.

Anyway pictures:
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    The old PII processor Donor.

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    The board the processor was mounted to, now removed

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    Tools of choice and the processor all removed with hole drilled

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    The Processor with a keyring fitted

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    The end result on my keychain and ready to go

Thanks for taking your time to look.

2. Sloth

Sloth #yolo #swag

Awesome! Makes me wonder what my own P2 could become :D

3. Duste

Duste Sierra my delta, bravo!

One question, how the hell did you open up the PentiumII? I have two sitting here laying around, and I've literally tried everything to open them, lol.

4. Swampytoadstool

Swampytoadstool What's a Dremel?

yep, made mine in about 15-20 minutes, disassemble, torch, file to make it even looking and to take the sharp edges off so it doesnt cut your leg up, and drill hole. nothing to it, nice keychain too D:

[​IMG]

Last edited: 6 Dec 2006
  5. r4tch3t

r4tch3t hmmmm....

Noice :thumb:
    Looks better that most keyrings too.

6. Duste

Duste Sierra my delta, bravo!

I've started making my keyring; I'm clearcoating it at the moment - give it a good bit of protection.

7. mattthegamer463

mattthegamer463 What's a Dremel?

Nice, I have that same P2 (300mhz?) and it may just get a new lease on life...

As for getting it apart, the heatsink comes off with 4 allen bolts in the back of it, once those are gone you can pop the plastic shell off with a screwdriver to get at the hardware you need to remove the metal plate over the processor. Celeron P2s are much easier, I have one that has a little clasp that lets you pop it all off without a single tool, in about 2 seconds.

8. Glider

Glider /dev/null

Better scale down that pic...

9. Warrior_Rocker

Warrior_Rocker Holder of the sacred iron

I hosted a scaled down pic for swampy, if anyone wants me to host theirs just pm me.

10. evileclipse

evileclipse Toxic Waste!

cool i think i have a P2 somewhere

*edited* no p2 i have a p3 750mhz ooooooo

11. Firehed

Firehed Why not? I own a domain to match.

C'mon, someone be hardcore and use one of those quad-core chips! Personally, I've got an OLD stick of RAM, some old 8MB SIMM I think (something from the PI-PII era).

...what, you were expecting ME to pay over a grand for a keychain?!

12. mattthegamer463

mattthegamer463 What's a Dremel?

Yo, if it still works, ill buy it off you instead of you mutilating it (unless your joking, of course)