1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Graphics so i just bricked my hd5850..

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by jakobfrimmel, 1 May 2012.

1. jakobfrimmel

jakobfrimmel What's a Dremel?

so yea I was flashing the bios on my powercolor hd 5850 and I must have done something wrong somewhere... cause I basically just bricked my 2 year old hd 5850 :?

1. If there are any suggestions on how I could fix this problem... please help …
    2. I will be going out this weekend to get myself a new card... the problem however is that I do not want to spend a lot as im building a complete new system this summer.. therefore id need any suggestions on cards that are similar power

I live in Shanghai and im willing to spend up to 1000RMB...

oh and I basically need something where I can do light gameing and will last me till this summer

any suggestions would be greatly appreciated :)

2. PocketDemon

PocketDemon What's a Dremel?

if you can memorise (or write down) the key strokes needed to run the flashing program (made simpler if you shorten the file name to a single character), you can try reflashing it 'blind' - ie giving it enough time to get to the command prompt &, after typing, leaving it for a couple of minutes to ensure that enough time's passed.

&, naturally, if you can get hold of the original f/w this increases the chances of sorting it out.

Simply that i had to do this once on with an almost new 4870x2 (back in the day when it was a top end card & cost stupid amounts) after an alt f/w 'bricked' the card, & reflashing with the original f/w sorted it out - & it's still working now.

3. jakobfrimmel

okay ill give that a shot... but everything was going fine and I did it before so I wasn't prepared to bricking my card.. so I don't really remember exactly where and what all the programs where called... so basically I got cocky with my flashing skills :(

but ill give it a shot!

thanks for the advice!

4. jakobfrimmel

SO I took the card apart... and I noticed that where the heat pipes joined with the fins there was a slight yellowish residue...…

When removing the heat sink completely the thermal paste was applied so thickly that a large amount was just sticking around the actual gpu socket....

im actually quiet shocked at the lack of quality.... powercolor.. im looking at chu!

5. mrbungle

mrbungle Undercooked chicken giver

You have onboard graphics

Use that while flashing the card...

6. jakobfrimmel

I dont… :p JAHAHA

I just noticed ive had the wrong motherboard in my signature the whole time!!

7. mrbungle

mrbungle Undercooked chicken giver

Well alternative is to pick up a cheap pci-e card then you dont have to flash blind.

Should be easy to undo.

jakobfrimmel likes this.
  8. jakobfrimmel

Ah I hadn't thought of that! thanks :)

But ive anyway got to revise for my IB exams so maybe this was gods cruel way of telling me I need to revise but thanks for the help!!

9. Bede

Bede Minimodder

RMA it, tell them that their shitty over-application of TIM bricked your card (which it probably did).

10. jakobfrimmel

hmmmm I might just do that!!

the problem is my dad threw out the original box when we moved a year ago :/

but ill see what I can do!!
    thanks

11. Dreamslacker

Dreamslacker Minimodder

I used to use a PCI graphics card (you should be able to get one for cheap) for flashing the firmware (firmware set overclocking via SGI Quadro firmware) on my old Geforce 256 (hard modded to Quadro).

You can do the same but you might need to boot into the BIOS with only the PCI card attached and set VGA first on PCI slot.

12. jakobfrimmel

ill give that a shot :) thanks for the help!!

13. jakobfrimmel

oh and does anybody know if theres a step by step guide how I do this? as I don't want to mess everything up again!

14. thehippoz

thehippoz What's a Dremel?

jakobfrimmel likes this.