1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Apple so i just got an iphone .... :(

Discussion in 'Software' started by djDEATH, 18 Sep 2008.

1. djDEATH

djDEATH Habari gani?

and i hate it. Its HUGE, its impossible to write texts on, and being an absolute noob to ipods and itunes (i have only ever used "normal" "real" mp3 players before) its impossible to just use the way i want to.

is there a way to get music onto it and use it like a real mp3 player, or do you "have" to use itunes? If you do, and i'm being completely serious here, its going back to the shop, even if i end up paying for it.

2. Delphium

Delphium Eyefinity enabled

My friend whom has an iPod also dislikes the iTunes software, he now uses a program called "MediaMonkey Gold" v3? of which has the ability to transfer music to and from his ipod... I dont know if this works for iPhone also, but worth investigating?

EDIT: seem that the free version also works with iPods and iPhones...

3. djDEATH

djDEATH Habari gani?

as yoou may have guessed, i'm not actually very impressed with this at all.

My housemate has just got her 2nd Gen iPhone, and so this is where mine has come from, its her old one (gen1). She doesn't want much for it, a token payment really, and i was in the market for a new mp3 since my walkman phone died.

This isn't it. I'm SO glad i have never bought an ipod, i'd be so desperately unhappy with spending that much money on such a locked-down horrible device. I know many of you love your ipods, but i feel that just like millions of people buy steps albums and britney spears records, what the masses do and dont do shouldn't and will never influence me ever again.

She#'s having this back, and i'm going to buy a Zen X-Fi 16GB. Wifi, audio streaming, and most of all EASE OF USE and FREEDOM to use it the way i want with itunes, WMP, or just goood old drag and drop.

f**k apple.

you know the icing on the cake... my headphones dont fit into the socket, i have to use a two inch long adapter. Thats not because the socket isn't a normal 3.5mm jack, because it is, but because APPLE headphones are slimmer by design, so this slot only allows headphones with the sleeve as slim as the ipod headphones... thats it, i'm done with it.

4. Delphium

Delphium Eyefinity enabled

Understandable, is why ive never purchased them, and stuck with my trusty nokia phone and iRiver h320 mp3 player.
    20gb of drag and drop Cheesecake!!

Cant say I blame ye tbh.

5. DarkLord7854

DarkLord7854 What's a Dremel?

Sell it on eBay.. you can get 400$+ for it

6. djDEATH

djDEATH Habari gani?

ok, post deleted, fair enough, i see why.

sorry about that. i would certainly have researched it if i was going to buy one, but my housemate gave it to me, and in the 24 hours of using it, all its done is frustrate me and make me wonder what all of those jesus-phone (not my term) using people have been raving on about.

sorry again - didn't mean to insult all itunes users, but you have to admit, its less than intuitive for anyone who has used other mp3 players before. The assumptions made by apple in this regard have put me off buying anything apple ever again.

7. adam197

adam197 What's a Dremel?

iTunes is a bit of a pain in the ass with iPhones, but for the size matter, I look at it like this: I was carrying around a phone and my iPod Touch, so the iPhone a smaller package. I have got used to the typing, but its definitely not for everyone.

I second the eBay route. They are going for silly prices.

8. djDEATH

djDEATH Habari gani?

its just not for me. I want more out of it. i dont want itunes

9. mctigger

mctigger What's a Dremel?

i used sonic stage with the my net minidisc for a while it was terrible, well terrible for me anyway! for some reason i like itunes, it does take a bit of getting used to and there are some small annoyances about it,but ah well each to there own is the point im trying to make

10. barry99705

barry99705 sudo rm -Rf /

I sold my first gen iPhone and had enough to pay for an HTC tilt. I'm a mac guy, so the iTunes thing doesn't bother me, but I just couldn't tinker with the phone enough. Love the tilt's keyboard, miss the iPhone's screen... Now I need a new iPod, my first gen 4Gb nano is a bit too small, and the battery is starting to go.

11. Firehed

Firehed Why not? I own a domain to match.

You're SOL then, really. I used to hate iTunes passionately and liked to do everything manually, but it's one of those things that works a hell of a lot better if you go into it with the thought process that software is designed to remove stupid tasks from your life. Anyways, the iPhone was designed 100% to interact with your computer through iTunes (and ONLY iTunes), so trying to avoid it is just going to make things 1000x harder.

I'm not trying to convert you, but if you try to avoid iTunes when using an iPhone (or an iPod for that matter) you'll get nothing but headaches. I've done it before - it's tedious, painful, senseless and stupid. If you're going to insist on not using iTunes then eBay the phone and get one that you'll actually like - the first-gen models still have great resale value.

Apple has a fairly unique way of designing their software. For some people it works great, and some people will never be able to live with it (but you'll always lose if you fight their designs). It's designed to function in a way where you just drop in your music once to import it and make playlists from your library - it manages the file locations and all of that tedious crap. If you try to use it differently, you'll just give yourself a headache.

I'd give it another try with that approach, but if that doesn't work then just ebay the thing and buy a phone that'll do what you want.

12. NoahFuLing

NoahFuLing What's a Dremel?

I'm OCD, and I love having my folders in order, and customizing the bejesus out of my devices. And you know what? I don't mind my iPhone or iTunes because I've never had a problem with them. I've never had iTunes crash or lose my data, and I've never had my iPhone do anything more serious than a soft reset. I don't care that on my Mac my music is managed by iTunes, or that it has proprietary formats and metadata. It works so well that I just don't care, and that's unusual for me. The 3G fixed the headphone jack issue and the slow EDGE issue, and it took me about a month before I actually started to enjoy using the keyboard. It's definitely not a device for everybody, but I'm in love with it because it works and makes me not care about the technical side of it.

13. woof82

woof82 What's a Dremel?

14. mrbungle

mrbungle Undercooked chicken giver

Yeah winamp rocks for that.

I hate it when they dont let mp3 players just show up as storage devices.

Saw a iphone last nite up close for the first time, its a propper brick aint it lol And texting people on that touch screen made my fingers itch with fustration, awful awful awful.

15. Guest-18698

Guest-18698 Guest

the new iphone? you lot think its big? !! its amazing/ admit though i havnt tried txting with it

16. mushky

mushky gimme snails

17. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

You hate it that much?

Do what I did with an ipod that really, truely, annoyed to the point of violence, piss on it. Take it outside somewhere, and just let go all over the damn thing.

Relief is two fold, trust me.

18. DarkEditioN

DarkEditioN What's a Dremel?

LOL, yeah but after you think again then you will regreat every moment you did that :D (repent :D) nad the pain will be back soon :) - Just sell it on eBay and you will be happy and you will get some money in your pocket too so...

19. specofdust

specofdust Banned

Wow. I can't add my media library to iTunes without it crashing. It would take days of adding a few hundred bits of media at a time to get my iTunes library showing my full media library. Add too much at a time and it crashes and burns. I do use it for my Ipod though.

20. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

I paid bugger all for it in the first place :p

I'm still using iPods (and iPhones), but that one just pissed me off far too much. It was fine, absolutely fine, until you connected it to a Windows machine, then it claimed the hard drive was dead. But fine with Macs. ****ed me right off it did, I've not used a harddrive based iPod since.

Tags: