1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

so if I wanna work in the uk...

Discussion in 'General' started by DeadTeddy, 26 Jun 2008.

1. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

The UK is pretty average. Land a half decent job (Office bitch here) and you could afford to live, so long as you're not going for town/city center apartments/houses.

As for the banks - They are mostly completely useless. However, almost all the Polish people I used to see through Bargain Booze had Llyods TSB accounts, straight 'off the boat' so to speak. I've been refused everything at Barclays (Even stuff I haven't applied for, which is confusing sometimes), but got exactly what I wanted at Lloyds in about an hour and a half with nothing but a passport and some payslips. IIRC you can apply for a basic account of theirs online, which you could probably 'upgrade' and so on when you got into the country.

As for the name thing that's been mentioned - It's very true. I've seen it happen at my current work place more than I care to remember, which is entirely down to one of the higher-ups being absolutely against anyone who isn't called Steve. It's not like he's of an uncommon mindset, either. Don't let that put you off, though, because there are some smarter, less retarded* people in this country.

*: I don't mean any offence to anyone who actually is differently abled/whatever the PC term is these days.

2. Ramble

Ramble Ginger Nut

You're not going to find it much different over here.

3. naokaji

naokaji whatever

Atleast for me its not too bad, but that is most likely due to the fact that I have a job that was outsourced to the uk and requires people that are fluent in other languages, so its easier for me to convince the locals that I'm not here to take anything away from them.

4. BentAnat

BentAnat Software Dev

I know - but at least in the UK i've got pro paintball and music... :p

trust me. those are two critical things for me - not that i'm remotely good enough to play pro paintball, but it's cool to have a BIT of a "scene" in that regard... ze Germans don't have that...

5. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

If they plan to stay for longer than 6 months, they need a residence permit.

6. knuck

knuck Hate your face

I am Canadian and would consider moving to UK if a good job there was offered to me (IE: replacement for Joe)

7. mikeuk2004

mikeuk2004 What you Looking at Fool!

Sorry Nexxo, but EU citizens don’t need a residence permit regardless to how long they wish to stay in the UK. Its non- EU citizens that do, if staying longer than 6 months which will be changing to 3 months.

If a EU citizen has lived in the UK for 5 years or more, then they can if they wish, apply for a confirmation of their permanent residence. In which case they just get a letter, but they don’t have to do that. Its there if they want to, which they might do when getting a mortgage. As some mortgage companies don’t trust anyone who is not from the UK.

8. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

I did, and I'm Dutch. Unless they changed the rules since 1992.

9. naokaji

naokaji whatever

it did change, british embassy told me last year before I came here that you dont need anything at all, dunno if that applies to you though if you came back then.

10. modgodtanvir

modgodtanvir Prepare - for Mortal Bumbat!

Go for France or Spain. You don't want to come to any country where we live :p

Seriously though, the taxation is killer. Earn £100K a year, and you'll probably only see £60K of it.
    And then when you buy a car, you need to pay tax on it, and then some more tax to register it, and then tax to be allowed to drive it on the road, then you get fined for almost everything, including eating an apple whilst driving. 80% of the money you pay for petrol is tax, and when you park your car, you'll need to pay a LOT for that, and then, when you visit someone, the present you take them will be heavily taxed, and if they live in London, you need to pay tax simply to use the roads there.

Otherwise all is quite good. NHS and schools are very nice services (depending on where you go), though public transport is atrocious, and there are a lot of young people who like to spend their evenings vomiting on the pavement outside a newsagent.

If I were you, I'd come here. And then move to France/Germany/Spain. You'll be able to appreciate it more that way.

11. mikeuk2004

mikeuk2004 What you Looking at Fool!

A lot has changed since then, and the current rules are changing again for the points base system. Immigration is my area of work unfortunately.

12. koola

koola Minimodder

Don't, the UK is fast going down hill. I'm considering emigrating to Canada once I finish uni and gain the necessary points/capital to make the move viable.

13. DougEdey

DougEdey I pwn all your storage

I just need a job to get to Canada