1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Graphics So, my radeon 9800 is too power hungry ?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Bogomip, 5 May 2005.

1. lcdguy

lcdguy Minimodder

i agree, if you cheap out on everything else your powersupply should not be one of them. I would invest in a quality brand such as OCZ, Tagen, Enermax or Antec.

2. Dinh

Dinh What's a Dremel?

Yeah, I agree with the others. You should invest in a new powersupply with the right connectors.

3. smoguzbenjamin

smoguzbenjamin "That guy"

TBH I've been running my system off the 350W Q-tec PSU that came with my case and it hasn't failed me yet. :)

4. lcdguy

lcdguy Minimodder

perhaps, but you are running a nvidia card and not an ATI card, i don't know for certain, but the current draws could be different.

5. Bogomip

Bogomip ... Yo Momma

ok, i dont mean to be rude, but thats an incredibly silly suggestion :)

I read all good reviews about ebuyer generic psu's! I mean, how hard can it be to make a descent PSU :)

smoguzbenjamin: i've been running my system of an ebuyer generic PSU up till now without any troubles! But, a new PSU eh ? ok, i'll try it.

6. smoguzbenjamin

I was saying I was pleased with my generic PSU, maybe you misread :) Don't get a new PSU that's not going to be the cause of this I think.

7. FuzzyOne

FuzzyOne

I use the ebuyer generic 350w (gold model,2 fans) for my a64 system with a 9800pro, 3 hdd's and my dvd writer, all runs like a peach and has done for ages.

8. mdma

mdma What's a Dremel?

I have a Powercolor radeon 9800Pro 128meg coming up with the same error message about the power connector not connected and the 4 pin power connector getting dam hot.
    I had just upgraded to new PSU, motherboard, ram, cpu etc,to try and fix it, and still got the error and hot connector.(exactly the same as your pics show,now i have 2 psu's with burnt 4pin connectors...not happy jan)
    Ive sent it in for warranty :D
    If u can get warranty i would suggest u use it

Last edited: 29 May 2005
  9. D B

D B What's a Dremel?

The only other thing that can make a connection get hot is poor contact at the terminals , poor contact is high resistance , resistance = heat. But as you've tried a different connector, It's probably your card (don't think It's your PSU , if it could not supply enough current to run the card , how is it supplying enough current to get hot/melt?)

DB

10. webbyman

webbyman Hax.

not everyone is risk taker :D :hehe:

11. mdma

mdma What's a Dremel?

The problem is the video card guys, send it back for warranty.
    Before u end up buying a new PSU and Video card, all because a faulty video card melted your connectors.

12. smoguzbenjamin

Ghehe, I'll gladly take the risk though. The rails are steady and at least within 10% of their supposed voltages, and I've managed to run my 2800+ at 3200+ speeds without the PSU crapping out. Yet ;)

13. webbyman

webbyman Hax.

:hehe:

14. tank_rider

tank_rider What's a Dremel?

As has just been said, this is a fualt on the graphics card, a short or the like, and is likely to take the PSU with it if your not careful!!!!

Send it back for an RMA.

15. webbyman

webbyman Hax.

other way round... it's the dodgy psu causing the gfx card plugs to go ubar hot... :worried:

16. The cheapskate

The cheapskate One custom title before Matty

I reckon its the graphics card,

mainly becasue, if it was the psu, then i think it just wouldnt power. but Your not going to be able to tell unless you change both. Does any one you know have a rig you could try the card in>?

17. JF04

JF04 What's a Dremel?

i have had similar problems with my 9800 pro, but it has a large connector, like a cd drive, and i havent found any burning, but still once in a while i get that error message, and yes i go wtf,
    Lately it hasnt had the error message, but sometimes when i start a game, just a couple minutes in the whole computer shuts off as if shorted out somewhere, and this only happens when palying games,
    I havent found the cause, and since i have a oem card im not sure what i have in terms of warranty options

18. tank_rider

tank_rider What's a Dremel?

Just out of intrest, does everyone having this problem have an arctic cooler on their card?

19. webbyman

webbyman Hax.

sudden restarts could be heat...

20. JF04

JF04 What's a Dremel?

yes, i do have a arctic cooling rev. 3, and i have thought about it being the problem, but there isnt much i can do about it as i dont have much money, and my parents wont loan me any to buy another computer "accessory".

Tags: