1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cooling So, the big switch to watercooling...

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Fishlock, 29 Nov 2007.

1. Fishlock

Fishlock .o0o.

Good evening!

So, I want to start cooling with water. I have NO idea where to start, other than that I think I'm going to buy a kit to start with, and go from there. I've looked into the Reservator 2 by Zalman, and think it looked pretty good for a beginners kit.

Would I profit/benifit more from buying all the components myself and building it up from scratch, or would a kit be a better idea for a newbie to start in the water cooling world?

Also, what is everyones opinion of water cooling? Would I really benifit from it? I have an AMD X2 6000+ clocked at 3.18ghz so far, who thinks this could be pushed further with water cooling?

Any help appreciated,

Sam.

2. radodrill

radodrill Resident EI

Watercooling is certainly a lot more efficient in cooling than a standard HSF; I'm not gonna go back to air on any of my personal rigs.

In general kits (especially Koolance and Thermaltake) perform way under par when compared to quality components (from the likes of DangerDen, EK-waterblocks, Swiftech, D-Tek, Hardware Labs, Liang, and Thermochill); generally about the same performance as a good heatpipe cooler. The only "Kits" I'd consider are those that consist of quality components; available from Swiftech, DangerDen, and Petra's Tech Shop.

3. Fishlock

Fishlock .o0o.

4. Shadowed_fury

Shadowed_fury Active Member

Go second hand. Nothing wrong with it, and loads around.
    Sure £220 would sort you a CPU/GPU setup, but for what its worth, there no point buying new ;)

5. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

Most of the WC threads (and their subsequent links) are brilliant tbh - I learnt everything I know about WC from them, and had no problems setting up my loop. :)

I think the best tips I can give are:
    1) Plan your loop out carefully. If it doesn't fit where you want it to on the day, you didn't do it properly!
    2) Be careful when you put it together not to make a mess of things like hose-ends - that'll save some time if you have a leak.
    3) Check everything a dozen times before the first switch-on with it installed.

It's tremendous fun though, if it weren't for the cost I'd just keep building them into every rig I can get my hands on! :D

6. RinSewand

RinSewand New Member

Deffinately worth reading up on it and diying it. The results are so much better with individual items than kits. The experience is also much more fun, and at the end you can stand back and go "i did that". You'l also be able to remove a lot more heat with a custom kit, allowing more volts, and yes, you will be able to overclock that chip more.

RwD

7. Fishlock

Fishlock .o0o.

You've persuaded me! I'll be buying some custom kit in the new year!

Thanks all,

Sam.

Tags: